Rewatch review.... Deerhunter

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I had not watched this show since the first time I saw it on VHS late 80s. Seeing it now in 2021, it just doesn't have the same teeth. We have been desensitized a bit today I think by fantastic special effects and cgi. The shock of the scenes, the grittiness isn't a big deal anymore.
Having said that, this film is a good reminder of how wasted of a talent DeNiro is. Such a great character actor, who abused his own talents on horrible-corny B class movies...one after another.
Watching the film again, it is good....but it's length weighs on you. It's like the editors took the week off and we see every scene in full... with the boring parts included.

I believe in the late 80s when I saw it the first time, I would have rated it probably 4 out of 5 stars.
Today... 3. With the quality of acting as it's only saving grace.

ee.jpg

.....I like Walken, but he's not a great actor.....I don't like Streep....everyone does a fairly good job though in their parts
....damn! yes, the runtime is long...I saw it around 1980 and never noticed how long it was......Lawrence of Arabia is about same the runtime --but that's an epic--one of the best movies of all time, some say
....I think it does a good job at showing how the war affected '''everyday'' Americans/friends/relatives/etc

I had not watched this show since the first time I saw it on VHS late 80s. Seeing it now in 2021, it just doesn't have the same teeth. We have been desensitized a bit today I think by fantastic special effects and cgi. The shock of the scenes, the grittiness isn't a big deal anymore.
Having said that, this film is a good reminder of how wasted of a talent DeNiro is. Such a great character actor, who abused his own talents on horrible-corny B class movies...one after another.
Watching the film again, it is good....but it's length weighs on you. It's like the editors took the week off and we see every scene in full... with the boring parts included.

I believe in the late 80s when I saw it the first time, I would have rated it probably 4 out of 5 stars.

View attachment 454187

I agree
It hasn’t aged well

Look what happened to Christopher Walkens career since then

.....I like Walken, but he's not a great actor.....I don't like Streep....everyone does a fairly good job though in their parts
....damn! yes, the runtime is long...I saw it around 1980 and never noticed how long it was......Lawrence of Arabia is about same the runtime --but that's an epic--one of the best movies of all time, some say
....I think it does a good job at showing how the war affected '''everyday'' Americans/friends/relatives/etc
Lawrence of Arabia is four hours, and worth every minute.

The Right Stuff runs about three hours, and is a far better film than The Deer Hunter.

View attachment 454187

I agree
It hasn’t aged well

..I thought he was terrible in A View To a Kill

View attachment 454187

I agree
It hasn’t aged well

..and in Dogs of War he was not good

View attachment 454187

I agree
It hasn’t aged well

For sure, he was good in At Close Range. Love that movie.
Other than that... he is like Nicholas Cage... a couple good films in a parade of bombs.

View attachment 454187

I agree
It hasn’t aged well

..I thought he was terrible in A View To a Kill

Walken went from a serious actor (Dead Zone) to playing cartoon characters

"Apocalypse Now" came out about the same time.
It is a great movie in many ways also.
"The Deer Hunter" had a good plot, actors and director and it had some unforgettable scenes.
They are both great Vietnam War movies.

View attachment 454187

I agree
It hasn’t aged well

Other than that... he is like Nicholas Cage... a couple good films in a parade of bombs.
good call--I think Cage is terrible

View attachment 454187

I agree
It hasn’t aged well

Cage is terrible because of his personal life. A hugely wasted talent. Google his financial woes... he just might be the dumbest person in Hollywood in the decisions he made with his wasted $millions. And because of that, he had no choice but to appear in dozens of complete bombs to pay off his massive debts.

View attachment 454187

I agree
It hasn’t aged well

Cage is terrible because of his personal life. A hugely wasted talent. Google his financial woes... he just might be the dumbest person in Hollywood in the decisions he made with his wasted $millions. And because of that, he had no choice but to appear in dozens of complete bombs to pay off his massive debts.
..I usually look up the actors of movies I watch--but, since I don't watch him, I never did..but I will now ..TY

View attachment 454187

I agree
It hasn’t aged well

..I usually look up the actors of movies I watch--but, since I don't watch him, I never did..but I will now ..TY
Trust me... reading about his financial bungles will entertain you more than any film he was in.
It is hard to believe he is this dumb.

"Apocalypse Now" came out about the same time.
It is a great movie in many ways also.
"The Deer Hunter" had a good plot, actors and director and it had some unforgettable scenes.
They are both great Vietnam War movies.
.....I don't think DH was as much of a war movie as it was telling the tale of the affects of war/people's thoughts/etc...there's a lot of '''non-war'' stuff in it
.....Apocalypse Now was based on the novel Heart of Darkness--set in the Vietnam War--not really about the ''war''

View attachment 454187
The Deer Hunter sucked then and has not improved with age

Deer Hunter was filmed in the tremendous city of Mingo Junction, Ohio-- even though it was set in Pennsylvania, which is unusual.

Mingo Junction is a small city that was the cradle of many great Americans, including Ohio State coach Woody Hayes, the tremendous rock group Wild Cherry who sang "Play that Fucking Music" and Lloyd Hayes, the inventor of the menthol cigarette.

Deer Hunter was filmed in the tremendous city of Mingo Junction, Ohio-- even though it was set in Pennsylvania, which is unusual.

Mingo Junction is a small city that was the cradle of many great Americans, including Ohio State coach Woody Hayes, the tremendous rock group Wild Cherry who sang "Play that Fucking Music" and Lloyd Hayes, the inventor of the menthol cigarette.
Funky

View attachment 454187

I agree
It hasn’t aged well

Trust me... reading about his financial bungles will entertain you more than any film he was in.
It is hard to believe he is this dumb.
he bought not one but TWO castles!!!???!!!!

Forum List

Back