Rewatch review.... Deerhunter

The Deerhunter is a great movie but tough to watch at times. Apocalypse Now is a film with some great set pieces but it loses its way when Brando enters the scene. Platoon and Full Metal Jacket are both great films. I have never seen a film from the Vietnamese perspective. That would be interesting.
I agree that even though the premise of Apocalypse Now was finding the rouge Brando, once Brando entered the scene the movie went on a whacky rabbit hole to nowhere.
I don't think you will ever see a film coming from the perspective of the NV. Because that would go against the narrative that America is the worlds "bad guy". A truthful movie about Vietnam would show that the real issue was all of the imperial land grabbing by Britain and France. A great deal of the troubles in the world is due to the land grabbing, exploitation and subsequent abandonment of countries by France and Britain. Leaving those areas without a leader, in which the power vacuum was often filled by despots, and one corrupt leader after another.

The Deerhunter is a great movie but tough to watch at times. Apocalypse Now is a film with some great set pieces but it loses its way when Brando enters the scene. Platoon and Full Metal Jacket are both great films. I have never seen a film from the Vietnamese perspective. That would be interesting.
I agree that even though the premise of Apocalypse Now was finding the rouge Brando, once Brando entered the scene the movie went on a whacky rabbit hole to nowhere.
I don't think you will ever see a film coming from the perspective of the NV. Because that would go against the narrative that America is the worlds "bad guy". A truthful movie about Vietnam would show that the real issue was all of the imperial land grabbing by Britain and France. A great deal of the troubles in the world is due to the land grabbing, exploitation and subsequent abandonment of countries by France and Britain. Leaving those areas without a leader, in which the power vacuum was often filled by despots, and one corrupt leader after another.
Most of the worlds problems can be traced back to European imperialism.
Having said that I have seen loads of Nam movies and none of them paint the US in a bad light. Certainly not the poor buggers actually doing the fighting.
None of them explain why the US was there either. Something about communism I expect.

Most of the worlds problems can be traced back to European imperialism.
Having said that I have seen loads of Nam movies and none of them paint the US in a bad light. Certainly not the poor buggers actually doing the fighting.
None of them explain why the US was there either. Something about communism I expect.
They don't explain why US was there because France is why US was there.
France occupied the area, did a horrible job of it. Made the locals hate them with a passion, treated them like dogs while walking around like they were lords. This built deep hatred and desperation. They started to attack French people and outposts. France fights back, does a half hearted lousy job of it... abandons the area... despots and tribal warlords were mass murdering people as well as, absolutely China/Russia was set to take over the area. If they did... Vietnam would have ended up like North Korea.

Forum List

Back