Requiring health insurance is a enforcing conservative values

ElmerMudd

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2009
Northwest
Requiring health insurance forces people to be responsible for their own health care.

If someone does not have health insurance the rest of us pay their bills. We pay their bills through health care providers increasing the costs to those who can pay. Many times the government pays the bill of those who do not pay using our tax dollars.

People who choose not to have health care insurance cannot choose not to get sick.

If an individual does not have health care coverage the rest of us will end up paying their costs one way or another.

To enforce personal accountability for health care costs we have two choices.
1. Mandate health care insurance
2. Do not treat individuals who cannot pay.

I believe in personal accountability and I believe in option 1 to make people accountable. for their health care.

Requiring health insurance forces people to be responsible for their own health care.

No. Requiring Health Insurance forces people to pay for the health care of others.

I believe you have no idea what "conservative" means.

A conservative takes responsibility for his own situation. He does not presume to know what is best for everyone else.

No. Being responsible for ones own health care means that you pay for it yourself without government intrusion into your life.

A conservative takes responsibility for his own situation. He does not presume to know what is best for everyone else.

In theory that sounds good.

In the real world it does not work.

Your neighbor chooses not to buy healthcare. He has a heart attack. He rund up $300,000 in bills. He has no savings.

Who pays for it?

No. Being responsible for ones own health care means that you pay for it yourself without government intrusion into your life.

In theory yes but that does not always work in the real world.

You have a job and good insurance. You lose your job and your insurance. You cannot afford paying for insurance while not employed.

You have a heart attack and run up $300,000 in bills.

Who pays for it?

Lets say you have a good job and good insurance. You have a heart attack and run up $300,000 in bills. The insurance company pays the bill.
You lose your job and cannot get proivate insurance because of a pre-existing condition(you had a heart attack).
While unemployed and uninsured you have a second heart attack. You run up $200,000 in bills.

Who pays it?

Your neighbor chooses not to buy healthcare. He has a heart attack. He rund up $300,000 in bills. He has no savings.

Who pays for it?

Private foundations.
The hospital absorbs the loss
His relatives
His neighbors
His church

This is the issue. To big government types the only and universal solution is more big government. There are no mechanisms outside of government that are capable of dealing with these issues, despite the fact that they did just fine before big government got into the act.
In any case, unreimbursed health care expenses are a very small part of the problem in health care.

I wonder if anyone else has spotted the odd disparity between this post, and the sig line of the poster?

"Taking responsibility for his own situation" in the context of health insurance, is conservative code for: "I've got mine. Screw you."

Who pays for it?

Private foundations.
The hospital absorbs the loss
His relatives
His neighbors
His church

This is the issue. To big government types the only and universal solution is more big government. There are no mechanisms outside of government that are capable of dealing with these issues, despite the fact that they did just fine before big government got into the act.
In any case, unreimbursed health care expenses are a very small part of the problem in health care.

Private foundations - how many private foundations are you involved with? I am guessing none. I support private foundations and am involved with one. They are being stretched to cover the many social issues domestically and world wide. To cover the uninsured would be impossible.

Hospitals absorb the costs - Do you understand how private business works? Obviously not. If a private hospital or health care provider absorbs the costs of those who cannot pay they must pass the loss on to paying customers or they will go broke.

Relatives - Possibly but unlikely

Neighbors - How many of your neighbors have you covered their mortgage, utilities bills, healthcare etc. If you have the ability to help I would hope you would help family first.

Church - What church or synagogue do you belong to? Our church is strapped to cover current obligations.

How much have you donated to private foundations, churches, neighbors and relatives.

Do you run a business where if someone cannot pay their bills you take it out of your own pocket?

GET REAL RABBI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need real world solutions for the real world.

Conservatives should refuse to use public highways, police, fire departments, right?

Leftists should refuse to bring up the fucking roads and cops in every goddamned discussion about their obsessive need to play Mommy for the whole world, particularly those leftists who get told five or six times every single day (that would be you, Mensa Boy) that limited government isn't the same as no government, community concerns are not the same as micromanaging personal lives, and your personal frigging healthcare is NOT A COMMUNITY CONCERN, if only because increasing numbers of the community feel they would be benefited by you dropping off the face of the Earth every time you start flapping your gums.

What precisely do we have to do to get this message through that granite boulder on your neck that you call a head, so that you stop sounding like an Alzheimer's patient, having the exact same conversation every five minutes?

And yet every one of the orgs I mentioned did a fine job in the late 19th and early 20th century covering all of those problems and more.
Why are these institutions so strapped? Can it be that high taxation has left them with less money? Could this be part of the overall bureaucratic plan, to cut out alternatives to big government? I don't know but it wouldn't suprise me.
I know of several times that neighborhood orgs, churches and charities have covered some or all of a medical expense or other disaster-related cost for someone. It happens all the time.

I wonder if anyone else has spotted the odd disparity between this post, and the sig line of the poster?

"Taking responsibility for his own situation" in the context of health insurance, is conservative code for: "I've got mine. Screw you."

So what?

In theory yes but that does not always work in the real world.

You have a job and good insurance. You lose your job and your insurance. You cannot afford paying for insurance while not employed.

You have a heart attack and run up $300,000 in bills.

Who pays for it?

You make arrangements to pay it over time.

Actually that is not a 'conservative code'.

The truth is, I don't give a fuck if you die.

Or get sick.

Or can't pay for it.

I am not your keeper, nor am i responsible for your problems.

The trouble with you big government stooges is you think everyone is responsible for other people, to the point of being forced to do it. I don't think so, neither did the founders of this nation.

Nobody stops you all from getting together, pooling your money and helping whomever you please.

The problem is, you yokels use the system created to run the nation to feed your lame assed Robinhood fantasies and make everyone else pay for things they don't want and don't agree too.

And I am not a 'conservative' and care nothing for such labels anyway.

So what?

You mean "so what if it isn't true?" So what if I am making it up? So what if I am totally wrong and have boiled eggs for brains?
Nothing.
But Costanza is substituting stereotype for argumentation. The truth is that Democrats are the ones who have theirs, everyone else fuck off.
The Dems in Congress voted several times to exempt themselves from the bill's requirements. This is because they are
The Party of Fuck You!

Insurance, a distant third party to the patient and health care provider, is a terribly inefficient way to finance health care.
25% commission to the sales person, thousands of different companies with different rules for health care providers to figure out, rampant fraud and apathetic recipients of the care given contribute to about an additional 40% cost tot eh net cost of the product received.

Government willdo no better but this plan is just more of the same.
People should be responsible for their own health care. Group health care should be done away with. That third party payer system where blank check health care is practiced is what has ruined health care in this country. Everyone has an individual policy that goes with them where ever they go.
When you purchase car insurance does that pay fortires and an oil change? When you purchase home insurance does that cover when you have your home painted?
Do away with doctor visits unless it is associated with some disease. OVER utilization of the system has done us in.
The only good thing I see in this bill is we will finally manage the cost of the 45 million uninsured. They have been given a free ride at the expense of allof us for too long. Their blank check health care has gone unchecked and unmanaged for ever.

Actually that is not a 'conservative code'.

The truth is, I don't give a fuck if you die.

Or get sick.

Or can't pay for it.

I am not your keeper, nor am i responsible for your problems.

The trouble with you big government stooges is you think everyone is responsible for other people, to the point of being forced to do it. I don't think so, neither did the founders of this nation.

Nobody stops you all from getting together, pooling your money and helping whomever you please.

The problem is, you yokels use the system created to run the nation to feed your lame assed Robinhood fantasies and make everyone else pay for things they don't want and don't agree too.

And I am not a 'conservative' and care nothing for such labels anyway.

If the government did not provide sewers people would start crapping all over your yard and it would become your business.
You would have to make decisions. Do you start shooting everyone who craps on my yard, do you clean up the crap or do you agree to pay some taxes so you and everyone else does not have to crap on your yard.
The point is:
At the end of the day what others do will affect you. As a human it is impossible to be an isolationist in the 21st century in the USA.

Forum List

Back