Republicans continue to commit political suicide.

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
Republican minority leader John Boehner, (R), from Ohio, and other prominent Republicans
continue their tunnel vision failed policy, of voting no on social stimulus programs, for the poor
and middle class in America. This "No" vote mentality, just further alienates the GOP, from
many ordinary Americans. It also makes the Republicans look cold and heartless.

If this "No vote" mentality continues, the Republican party may be out of the White House, and the office of the Presidency for a very long time. This is nothing more than pure, unadulterated, Political Suicide.

This will be, nothing less than, capitulation to the democratic party, for long into the future.
And it can be avoided, if only the Republicans will adjust their ideology more towards middle
class needs and desires.

Last edited:
Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Site.
Thirty-two percent (32%) say they’re more likely to vote for someone who supported the bill in Congress while 35% said they’re less likely to vote for someone who supported it. Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Specter, one of three Republicans who voted for the stimulus in the Senate, has been hurt politically for his decision.*

Sixty-six percent (66%) of Democrats say the plan will help the economy, and only 10% believe it will hurt. Among Republicans, 49% say it will hurt, and 30% say it will have little impact. Among those not affiliated with either major party, 27% say it will help, and 34% think it will hurt the economy.

Following passage of the stimulus bill, consumer confidence fell to a record low. It has been falling to new lows will regularity since early 2008. Confidence in the nation’s banking system also has plummeted.

President’s Obama’s overall approval ratings have remained steady and high since his inauguration. However, Republicans have gained ground on Democrats in Generic Congressional Ballot polling.
*"Just 31% of Keystone State voters say are more likely to vote for Specter because of his position on the stimulus package while 40% are less likely to do so."

I guess time will tell how the voters will react. The stimulus bill will not help anyone IMO but I do have my fingers crossed that it will not do a huge amount of damage, again only time will tell.

It is not the Republicans who have the most to lose - but rather the Democrats.

This is their bill - Obama's bill, and if it fails to deliver, then there will be much deserved political hell to pay.

Thirty-two percent (32%) say they’re more likely to vote for someone who supported the bill in Congress while 35% said they’re less likely to vote for someone who supported it. Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Specter, one of three Republicans who voted for the stimulus in the Senate, has been hurt politically for his decision.*

Sixty-six percent (66%) of Democrats say the plan will help the economy, and only 10% believe it will hurt. Among Republicans, 49% say it will hurt, and 30% say it will have little impact. Among those not affiliated with either major party, 27% say it will help, and 34% think it will hurt the economy.

Following passage of the stimulus bill, consumer confidence fell to a record low. It has been falling to new lows will regularity since early 2008. Confidence in the nation’s banking system also has plummeted.

President’s Obama’s overall approval ratings have remained steady and high since his inauguration. However, Republicans have gained ground on Democrats in Generic Congressional Ballot polling.
*"Just 31% of Keystone State voters say are more likely to vote for Specter because of his position on the stimulus package while 40% are less likely to do so."

I guess time will tell how the voters will react. The stimulus bill will not help anyone IMO but I do have my fingers crossed that it will not do a huge amount of damage, again only time will tell.

My point is, we can not continue to do nothing about the current economic situation, of the
middle class and poor in America. Short of avoiding all out anarchy, and social unrest,something had to be done. I will need time to validate and analyze your numbers, and statistics.

It is not the Republicans who have the most to lose - but rather the Democrats.

This is their bill - Obama's bill, and if it fails to deliver, then there will be much deserved political hell to pay.

Many are saying, it may not be enough to stimulate the American and or Global economy.!?
I Agree , this could all backfire on the Democrats Big time.!

My point is, we can not continue to do nothing about the current economic situation, of the
middle class and poor in America. Short of avoiding all out anarchy, and social unrest,something had to be done. I will need time to validate and analyze your numbers, and statistics.

I'm for doing something but there may well be a case for doing nothing rather than spend more money than we have, and spending more than we have ever spent on anything on a "plan" that is wasteful and not stimulative.

Being histrionic about a coming anarchy (or "economic catastrophe") is more hurtful than helpful and is no excuse to send a billion dollars to one's ACORN vote fraud pals and any number of other pork filled pet projects.

middle class and poor in America. Short of avoiding all out anarchy, and social unrest,something had to be done. I will need time to validate and analyze your numbers, and statistics.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, however about 1/3 or the money goes to pork and pet projects for the Dems which will be of no help for the poor/middle class. This bill could have been so much better and actually helped the ones in need and instead it became nothing more than politics as usual for the party in the majority.

Agreed, however about 1/3 or the money goes to pork and pet projects for the Dems which will be of no help for the poor/middle class. This bill could have been so much better and actually helped the ones in need and instead it became nothing more than politics as usual for the party in the majority.[/QUOTE]

I agree too:

I just read this stimulus bill. This bill will not create jobs immediately. It's more designed for infracstructure--which takes years of planning & design. Broadband for rural areas around the country, road & bridge work. Those type workers are skilled--heavy equipment operators, technical workers, etc.

This bill is not designed to put unskilled--uneducated workers back to work. So the Americans you're referring to, in my opinion get no help, with the exception of $25.00 more in their unemployment checks--an extension of time for unemployment benefits--& help with their medical insurance--if they had any with their former employer.

The root of this economic crisis is really not even addressed. Which is to stop the foreclosures. The only thing in this bill is for "first" time home buyers whom will get a credit of $7000.00 to buy their first home? Credit is very tight--these people are going to have to have excellent credit & this time actually be able to afford the home--& with a down payment of 20 or 30%. The government under the Republican plan was to offer "everyone" a 15,000.00 tax credit to buy homes. This plan would have been much more effective in stimulating the housing market, & bringing property values up.

Time will tell--but I sure don't see an immediate comeback of our economy in this bill. In fact, the stock market a very good indicator of what they believe is the future of our economy--(6 to 9 months out) just had another triple digit loss today--after the signing of this bill--which indicates that Wall St. doesn't believe it's going to work either.

Since this bill passed with the signatures of a majority democrat lead congress-senate-President--I imagine it will be they that end up loosing sleep over this one. Because after a few months the exact same Americans that voted for them--will be wondering where all these new jobs are to be found. Democrats will end up owning this one.

Last edited:
Republican minority leader John Boehner, (R), from Ohio, and other prominent Republicans
continue their tunnel vision failed policy, of voting no on social stimulus programs, for the poor
and middle class in America. This "No" vote mentality, just further alienates the GOP, from

If this "No vote" mentality continues, the Republican party may be out of the White House, and the office of the Presidency for a very long time. This is nothing more than pure, unadulterated, Political Suicide.

This will be, nothing less than, capitulation to the democratic party, for long into the future.
And it can be avoided, if only the Republicans will adjust their ideology more towards middle
class needs and desires.

Actually is a very shrewd political gamble that this stimulus (aka, PORKULUS) will not work. And when it doesn't they will be able to claim they had no part in it. Obama has pinned his Presidency on this stimulus and if he can't deliver, in his own words, he's a ONE TERM President. If it works, yes, Repubs are even in more trouble. But it won't work because it doesn;t directly address the problem.

Agreed, however about 1/3 or the money goes to pork and pet projects for the Dems which will be of no help for the poor/middle class. This bill could have been so much better and actually helped the ones in need and instead it became nothing more than politics as usual for the party in the majority.

I agree too:

I just read this stimulus bill. This bill will not create jobs immediately. It's more designed for infracstructure--which takes years of planning & design. Broadband for rural areas around the country, road & bridge work. Those type workers are skilled--heavy equipment operators, technical workers, etc.

This bill is not designed to put unskilled--uneducated workers back to work. So the Americans you're referring to, in my opinion get no help, with the exception of $25.00 more in their unemployment checks--an extension of time for unemployment benefits--& help with their medical insurance--if they had any with their former employer.

The root of this economic crisis is really not even addressed. Which is to stop the foreclosures. The only thing in this bill is for "first" time home buyers whom will get a credit of $7000.00 to buy their first home? Credit is very tight--these people are going to have to have excellent credit & this time actually be able to afford the home--& with a down payment of 20 or 30%. The government under the Republican plan was to offer "everyone" a 15,000.00 tax credit to buy homes. This plan would have been much more effective in stimulating the housing market, & bringing property values up.

Time will tell--but I sure don't see an immediate comeback of our economy in this bill. In fact, the stock market a very good indicator of what they believe is the future of our economy--(6 to 9 months out) just had another triple digit loss today--after the signing of this bill--which indicates that Wall St. doesn't believe it's going to work either.

Since this bill passed with the signatures of a majority democrat lead congress-senate-President--I imagine it will be they that end up loosing sleep over this one. Because after a few months the exact same Americans that voted for them--will be wondering where all these new jobs are to be found. Democrats will end up owning this one.[/QUOTE]

We are in for a very long term economic slow period, even if the housing market hadn't collapsed and Wall St. had not gone beserk with risk.

The main reason is for the past 40 years the baby boomers have been spending but now America's largest demographic is retiring. They have entered the fixed income parts of their lives and thus will largely cease spending. They have bought their house, no longer need new cars, have accumulated all the electronics and big ticket consumer items they need, so they are done and gone is all their spending.

Replaced by MUCH SMALLER age groups and penniless immigrants.

class needs and desires.

What a bunch of evil bastards for not voting for a bill that nobody had even read yet. Not them, and not their electorate.

many ordinary Americans.

Oh well I can help ya with that... ya see the bill labeled "Stimulus plan" doesn't stimulate anything... it's theft... graft and tantamount to abuse of power, using tax payer funds to buy political influence and power. They've spent 8 years crying about deficit spending and have spent TWO MONTHS SPENDING TWO TRILLION DOLLARS with immidiate plans to SPEND ANOTHER TRILLION IN THE COMING MONTHS...

many ordinary Americans.

Oh well I can help ya with that... ya see the bill labeled "Stimulus plan" doesn't stimulate anything... it's theft... graft and tantamount to abuse of power, using tax payer funds to buy political influence and power. They've spent 8 years crying about deficit spending and have spent TWO MONTHS SPENDING TWO TRILLION DOLLARS with immidiate plans to SPEND ANOTHER TRILLION IN THE COMING MONTHS...
:lol:

class needs and desires.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KAGxGp1Bjgs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KAGxGp1Bjgs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Ah, the wailing an knashing of teeth...

This is going to be a great eight years.

class needs and desires.

You have it totally backwards. Democrats have hung themselves out to dry with this bill. In spite of the fact that the Democrat controlled Congress played a major role into getting us into this situation, I find it very interesting that it is Democrats who insist that only government can solve this problem. You play blackjack? This is doubling your bet after losing the previous hand -and in blackjack, it is a real loser of a strategy. Every single Congressman in the House and Senate was flooded with emails and phone calls -running 9-1 against this bill -regardless of whether they were Democrat or Republican. Since "only" 2/3 of the public opposed this bill, it suggests that those who opposed it -are more politically aware and involved than those in favor of it.

Senators and Congressmen are elected by their constituents back home. They don't vote the way their constituents want -they will be thrown out of office and their opponent sent instead. They answer to their constituents -and not a single Republican ran on or was elected on a platform of rolling over and becoming Democrats and helping to pass the Democrats' wet dream of a spending bill, an historic epic massive spending spree -especially one that will TRIPLE our national debt in just a single year.

Perhaps YOU can explain why this bill includes $2 BILLION for Congressman Obey's (D) son. Is that just chump change to you or what? Just one of literally tens of BILLIONS in pork and waste in this bill. This bill will come back to haunt the people who voted in favor of it. Especially as more and more of the BILLIONS in pork comes to light. More pork than has EVER existed in ANY previous bill -whether passed or not. Are you liberals really living in such rarified air that you are so out of touch with what the average person thinks of this bill -and why?

Apparently some of you liberals forgot about the hissy fit you all threw over the fact that the national deficit merely increased under Bush (as it has under every President in modern time -yes, under Clinton too) -but think TRIPLING our national debt in a single year is a great thing and actually think this is Republicans committing political suicide for not jumping on that bandwagon? Are you serious? And you wonder why I insist liberalism is a mental illness? A 10% increase in the national deficit under Bush after 8 years = ARMAGEDDON FOR THE NATION, its all over but the funeral dirge. But TRIPLING the national debt, a 300% increase IN A SINGLE YEAR under Obama = a wonderful, hand holding Kumbaya singing event where Democrats and Republicans alike should be kissing each other over the "great" thing they have done? Your nuts. Democrats couldn't have come up with a better bill to highlight the very real, fundamental philisophical differences between Democrats and Republicans. Its just too bad it came with a price tag that several unborn generations will be stuck paying for -and not a damn thing to show for it.

This bill will not do what Obama and Democrats have promised. At no time has government been able to spend our economy out of a recession. Not once. So it speaks volumes about the mentality that Democrats insist it can THIS time. It can't and it won't. But worst of all -BILLIONS in this bill are not stimulative and will not create even a single job and is just an historical level of pork in a single bill that no previous generation has ever seen. This bill is simply the Democrats' wet dream spending bill come to life. And those Democrats already trying to cover their asses are saying that if unemployment doesn't reach 11% this bill will be a "win" for Democrats -are living in an alternate reality. Even the economists in favor of this bill are not predicting an unemployment rate anywhere near that even if nothing is done. It is just Democrats who voted in favor of this bill hoping it will give them cover when it doesn't work.

Republicans told Democrats what changes they would need to see before voting in favor of it -and Democrats turned a deaf ear. Republicans wanted MORE of the one thing known for a fact to work and much less of the thing known to have NEVER worked. Democrats couldn't bring themselves to do that. So Republicans have NO problem if Democrats AND Republicans alike have decided to tie their political future to their support or opposition to this particular bill.

The problem for Democrats is two-fold. First of all, Republicans have the historical proof that government has never been able to spend the country out of a recession. Has been tried numerous times in this country and in dozens of other countries as well -but has never once worked. Investors know this as well -which is why the stock market took a real nosedive today as more people pull their money OUT entirely. Democrats' second problem is that more than 2/3 of the nation agree with Republicans on this one. The vast majority believe this bill will NOT help the economy at all. And among middle income earners, the majority believe it will specifically HURT them. They have good reason to believe that.

When Reagan came to office the unemployment, interest and inflation rates were all double digits. FAR worse conditions than exist today -we are nowhere near any of that. But Reagan didn't respond by urging Congress to pass an historically massive spending spree in the deluded belief government could spend the economy out of it. Instead Reagan went for the one thing government can do that is known to actually stimulate the economy -tax cuts.

Obama, in spite of the REPEATED and NUMEROUS historical examples and PROOF showing which government actions during a recession really do and do not work, bet his political future.......on government doing the only thing known to have NEVER worked. Not once, not ever. Doing it one more time isn't going to result in a different outcome. But repeating the same action over and over in the belief it will result in a different outcome if you do it just one more time -is the definition of insanity. Obama chose insanity today and signed the one document that will insure he is a one term President -and that Democrats will lose their control of Congress. And just imagine -they won't be able to blame Bush for it either. LOL

frazz, why are you lying?

We aren't tripling the National Debt. The National Debt is $10 trillion dollars.

To triple the National Debt, we would have to spend $20 trillion dollars.

The next four years are going to be great, well over a trillion dollars spent in less than a month in office. At this rate Obama is going to have spent over 48 trillion dollars by the end of his term in office.

The next four years are going to be great, well over a trillion dollars spent in less than a month in office. At this rate Obama is going to have spent over 48 trillion dollars by the end of his term in office.

Silly man....

Obama is trying to save the country from the worse presidency in American history.

And he will do it too.

Silly man....

Obama is trying to save the country from the worse presidency in American history.

And he will do it too.

Doesn't look too good so far. He chose the only path proven to have NEVER worked in the past, to bet his presidency on and a proven TAX CHEAT to lead his economic team. He is now running a bigger deficit in three weeks than the Bush administration ran up in eight years.

Great start there.....

Bottom line Barak:

You cannot spend yourself out of a recession/depression. Never has worked, never will work.

Stop campaigning and start BEING a president! Write you own damned bills. Don't expect the most partisan democrat of them all, Nancy Pelosi, write your bills for you then EXPECT Republican support???? That is proof of an idiot in action.

Forum List

Back