Report: Russia Withdraws Support from Bashar al-Assad Regime

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Well I guess Iran can take up the slack.

Russian officials stationed in Damascus flown back to Moscow
TWEET
EMAIL

Bashar al-Assad / AP

BY: Abraham Rabinovich
June 1, 2015 12:23 pm

JERUSALEM—A dramatic Russian pullback from support of the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria was reported Sunday by a prominent Arabic-language newspaper that said that some 100 senior Russian diplomatic and technical officials stationed in Damascus were flown back to Moscow last week with their families.

Asharq Al-Awsat reported that a shift in Russia’s policy became evident at a recent high-level international meeting of security officials held in a European city. The unpublicized meeting was held to discuss the threat of terrorist groups to international security.

The head of the Russian delegation, asked how Moscow viewed the possibility of a Syria “after Assad,” said that “what concerns Russia is to safeguard its strategic interests and secure the future of minorities” in Syria and to ensure that the country remains united. Upon hearing his statement, some delegates left the room to report this apparent retreat to their superiors. Until now, Russia has used its veto on the United Nations Security Council to block any action against the Assad regime.

Riyadh Tabara, a former Lebanese ambassador to the United States, told the newspaper that officials in both Moscow and Washington have begun exploring the possibility of a political solution in Syria that did not involve Assad. “Moscow [wants] guarantees that the regime that will replace Assad’s will safeguard [Russia's] interests in the country,” said Tabara.

Many of the Russian officials, who flew home from the coastal city of Latakia, worked in the Assad regime’s operations center in Damascus, in support of Syrian military and security officials. Working with them were Iranian counterparts as well as Hezbollah officials. Russia has been a major prop for the Assad regime, providing it with military supplies and political support.

Continue reading at:

Report Russia Withdraws Support from Bashar al-Assad Regime Washington Free Beacon

Interesting. Because if the US even tries to back out of the Ukraine at this point in a trade off over Syria Poroschenko goes down along with Hillary's multi million dollar backer Pinchuk.

I can't see the trade off because Iran is part of the triangle but let's see. Russia, Syria and Iran have been linked at the hip for many years.

Now what does worry me here is that if this is true, these moves would be based on the assumption Assad might fall to ISIS.

And that would be a huge ruh roh. Of course for anyone who hates Assad they would be thrilled that he went down to the motherfucking blood thirsty crazy mother fuckers in ISIS, but that's the White House and everyone who backs 1600 who would rather have ISIS beheading babies and crucifying Christians than have Assad in power.

But check out this headline and the date: Deja vu?

Russia withdraws its remaining personnel from Syria
Evacuation signals growing concern in Moscow about conflict between ally Bashar al-Assad's regime and rebels

Miriam Elder in Moscow and Ian Black, Middle East editor

Wednesday 26 June 2013 18.30 BST

Now what does worry me here is that if this is true, these moves would be based on the assumption Assad might fall to ISIS.

And that would be a huge ruh roh. Of course for anyone who hates Assad they would be thrilled that he went down to the motherfucking blood thirsty crazy mother fuckers in ISIS, but that's the White House and everyone who backs 1600 who would rather have ISIS beheading babies and crucifying Christians than have Assad in power.

But check out this headline and the date: Deja vu?

Russia withdraws its remaining personnel from Syria
Evacuation signals growing concern in Moscow about conflict between ally Bashar al-Assad's regime and rebels

Miriam Elder in Moscow and Ian Black, Middle East editor

Wednesday 26 June 2013 18.30 BST
Russia is not going anywhere

Supposedly Assad's forces have been showing weakness lately. If he falls, everyone will jump on fundie nutjobs ISIS, who don't have many fighters, just the most motivated ones while Assad still holds on...

j
It was an agreement of D.C. and Moscow....They get out of Syria, and we get out of Ukraine...

Wrong.... Russia has a navel base in Syria they aren't getting out of shit

jroc true question. what the hell is wrong with the US media? Don't they know about Tartus?

I'm just a nobody up here in Manitoba and I know of Russia's strategic base in Tartus. And didn't Putin just make a deal in Cyprus?

Do these so called US.journalists go to the school of "once upon a time I'll tell you a fairy tale" or what?

Supposedly Assad's forces have been showing weakness lately. If he falls, everyone will jump on fundie nutjobs ISIS, who don't have many fighters, just the most motivated ones while Assad still holds on...

:lmao:

Are you still on the JVT bandwagon?

For those that might not understand what jroc and I are discussing, here's a map.

478293.jpg

I never thought I would see the day that I would back Russia in my lifetime. Holy toledo this is blowing my mind.

If Russia MIGHT be pulling out their personnel it would be to strategically let Iran kick the ever living shit out of ISIS in Iraq and Syria.

My brain is trying to crunch this potential move of making sure their people are safe before all hell breaks loose.

I know Iran has mobilized all the Shia forces in Iraq because they got sick and tired of the ROE that Obama put in place that Shias were not allowed to fight in Sunni territory.

That fucked my brain up earlier this week finding out about that. Sooooooooo Obama though. Afraid of are you ready and this was in the article so afraid of "sectarian" violence if the US let Shia militias fight ISIS in Sunni zones.

HOW FUCKED UP IS THAT? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

:lmao:

Are you still on the JVT bandwagon?
EVERYONE was before they attacked. No one is now. They took Ramadi with 150 men and a threat of bombs, and an idiot Iraqi commander. Great job lol.

I never thought I would see the day that I would back Russia in my lifetime. Holy toledo this is blowing my mind.

If Russia MIGHT be pulling out their personnel it would be to strategically let Iran kick the ever living shit out of ISIS in Iraq and Syria.

My brain is trying to crunch this potential move of making sure their people are safe before all hell breaks loose.

I know Iran has mobilized all the Shia forces in Iraq because they got sick and tired of the ROE that Obama put in place that Shias were not allowed to fight in Sunni territory.

That fucked my brain up earlier this week finding out about that. Sooooooooo Obama though. Afraid of are you ready and this was in the article so afraid of "sectarian" violence if the US let Shia militias fight ISIS in Sunni zones.

HOW FUCKED UP IS THAT? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!
Actually, that would screw Assad (Iran's pal) and we'd be halfway there. I don't believe Iran is evil OR ambitious for territory or a nuke. But the Rev Guard has power.

TWEET
EMAIL

Bashar al-Assad / AP

JERUSALEM—A dramatic Russian pullback from support of the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria was reported Sunday by a prominent Arabic-language newspaper that said that some 100 senior Russian diplomatic and technical officials stationed in Damascus were flown back to Moscow last week with their families.

Asharq Al-Awsat reported that a shift in Russia’s policy became evident at a recent high-level international meeting of security officials held in a European city. The unpublicized meeting was held to discuss the threat of terrorist groups to international security.

The head of the Russian delegation, asked how Moscow viewed the possibility of a Syria “after Assad,” said that “what concerns Russia is to safeguard its strategic interests and secure the future of minorities” in Syria and to ensure that the country remains united. Upon hearing his statement, some delegates left the room to report this apparent retreat to their superiors. Until now, Russia has used its veto on the United Nations Security Council to block any action against the Assad regime.

Riyadh Tabara, a former Lebanese ambassador to the United States, told the newspaper that officials in both Moscow and Washington have begun exploring the possibility of a political solution in Syria that did not involve Assad. “Moscow [wants] guarantees that the regime that will replace Assad’s will safeguard [Russia's] interests in the country,” said Tabara.

Many of the Russian officials, who flew home from the coastal city of Latakia, worked in the Assad regime’s operations center in Damascus, in support of Syrian military and security officials. Working with them were Iranian counterparts as well as Hezbollah officials. Russia has been a major prop for the Assad regime, providing it with military supplies and political support.

Continue reading at:

Report Russia Withdraws Support from Bashar al-Assad Regime Washington Free Beacon

The light bulb finally came on?

TWEET
EMAIL

Bashar al-Assad / AP

Continue reading at:

The light bulb finally came on?

Great news for ISIS and Al Nousra!

Cyprus port deal gives Russian navy alternative to Tartus - Al-Monitor the Pulse of the Middle East

The Russian navy’s new access to ports in Cyprus has both symbolic and practical importance for Moscow

The headline at Sputnik— a relatively new government-sponsored media organization targeted at foreign audiences — conveys this quite directly: “Russia Signs Military Deal with EU Member State.” In other words, Sputnik is telling Europeans “you may think you can isolate us, but you can’t even keep your own members from hosting Russian military forces.”

The deal, which cuts interest rates on a 2.5 billion euro Russian bailout loan to Cyprus and extends payments from 2016 to as late as 2021, also makes two other important statements in the eastern Mediterranean. The first is that the Kremlin takes care of its friends; Cyprus is a particularly special friend as an offshore banking haven and the second-ranking source of foreign investment in Russia, though as even Putin acknowledges, “a large part of this is repatriated capital.”

The second message is that Russia is able to help friends like Cyprus even at a time of great economic distress. Russian officials may see this as the most consequential idea to communicate at a time when most news from Moscow is assessing the impacts of low energy prices and a much-reduced ruble.

Looks to me like the Russians are already looking for an exit strategy..........if need be..........yet up to 30000 Russians live in Syria now primarily in relation to the Naval Base and military support to Assad.............

The higher ups are leaving........so................when they start evacuating civilians in mass...........then you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Russia has formalised its deal with Cyprus to use naval bases in the European country for resupply and repairs, as the Cypriot government criticises EU sanctions on Russia and calls itself Putin’s friend in Europe.

A significant proportion of Cyprus’s annual GDP derives from Russian businesses using it as a tax haven, and during the last economic crisis while aid wasn’t forthcoming from Cyprus’s European allies, Russia extended a significant loan on preferential terms. On the same day Cyprus agreed the naval base terms, the repayments of the loan were again deferred for another five years.

Speaking on the formalisation of this agreement, which has existed in practice for some time, Russian president Vladimir Putin said: “Our friendly ties aren’t aimed against anyone. I don’t think it should cause worries anywhere”. Although warships will be allowed to refuel and repair as necessary, the bases won’t be lent for full military use, as other bases already are to the British.

Russia Gets Foothold in EU as Cyprus Gives it Two Bases - Breitbart

I read on another site that the base in Syria can't repair the Capital Ships in the med anyway...............and the repair capabilities in syria are minimal..............

Even so, they will not just abandon that investment unless forced to do so by conditions in Syria.........

Forum List

Back