Reminder About Your Rights...

Pilate

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2016
You do not get them from the constitution. The constitution is little more than a piece of paper that reminds you of them. Do not forget, that the government, the founding fathers, whoever, did not give you your rights. You were given them by god, or by your very humanity. The government has no standing to deprive you of that which it did not give you, and that which was given unto you by a higher power.

You do not get them from the constitution. The constitution is little more than a piece of paper that reminds you of them. Do not forget, that the government, the founding fathers, whoever, did not give you your rights. You were given them by god, or by your very humanity. The government has no standing to deprive you of that which it did not give you, and that which was given unto you by a higher power.

Oh how I wish that were so.

That is precisely the ideal that I strive for on a daily basis.

Obviously, we are not there yet.

That is true in concept, but false in practice. In modern history, Governments grants rights. In ancient history the strongest tribe, or the strongest man granted rights. Unless you live completely isolated on your own, you will always be granted rights by whatever society you choose to belong to.

Not as a matter of principle they can’t. You’ll still have those rights, they’ll just be oppressing you and preventing you from exercising them through threat of violence, imprisonment, or financial pressure.

Do you mean everybody? Or just white males?

Actually the 14th amendment more or less made UNalienable Rights null and void- the courts, in a ruling posted many times in the Constitution forum, stated INalienable rights as grants and privileges- grants and privileges can be taken back, rescinded and made illegal- UNalienable Rights are not tangible therefore they can only be restricted or ignored-

F
For everyone from Timbuktu to Rhode Island.

You're absolutely right.

My favorite: The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Every time some State's rights persona comes bouncing in proclaiming things like "State rights are all about you!" I just laugh and laugh. No, Justice Jackson..........the 9th Amendment is not a mystery.

You do not get them from the constitution
No. The same Constitution that sets up the government in theory restrains the government from infringing our rights. In practice, the government has grown far beyond any reasonable limitations on its size and scope as a fraction of our country's total economic output.

F
So I can exercise my rights, then. Even if I am a white woman born in the USA?

F
Exercise them? Well...it depends. You can, but governments very often attempt to deprive people of their rights. But the point I’m making, or rather the reminder that I’m putting out there is that you do have those rights, and you are born with them.

You can exercise your rights in the US- that's not Carte Blanche to act a fool- thoughts and actions have consequences < the heart and soul of a pragmatist.

Per the preamble to the constitution

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Words mean things, or, they don't.

New Topics

Forum List

Back