Remembering the 54th Anniversary Of The USS Liberty Bombing

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
USA

"June 8, 1967 was the worst day in the history of the National Security Agency. On that date, Israeli airplanes and torpedo boats mauled and nearly sank an American spy ship in international waters, killing or maiming most of its crew. This tragedy appears as a footnote to Israelis, an unpleasant sideshow of their victorious Six Day War, while official Washington preferred the embarrassing episode be forgotten.

On the fateful morning of June 8, the Liberty was sailing almost 30 miles north of the Sinai Peninsula, a war zone. Just before 2 p.m., two Israeli Air Force Mirage fighter jets raked Liberty’s decks with cannon fire. They were soon joined by three Israeli attack jets which executed multiple attack runs on the American ship -- By the time they ceased, nine Americans were dead or dying, and dozens more were wounded -- then shortly before 2:30 p.m., three Israeli Navy torpedo boats approached the Liberty, which was burning and littered with maimed sailors. They soon made an attack run on the wounded vessel, launching several torpedoes, only one of which found its target -- killing 25 more Americans; with cannon and machine gun fire, culling sailors trying to save their vessel and wounded shipmates."

My father was a US Naval vet who served in the Korean war and if it wasn't for him; I would have never learned about this years ago...Even now, I asked a few of my friends and colleagues about it; they never knew either....why?? Is this incident not worth being told and remembering?? Hollywood not making a movie about this one??

Why did it take nearly 40 years for us to find out that this wasn't just a simple "ooops, my bad" on the part of Israel?? In fact, there was confirmation that the Israelis knew in advance that it was an American ship. I see why the survivors of that attack are pissed at both their own government and the Israeli government for continuing the cover-up for this long -- but so many people not even knowing what happened at all is just another slap in the face.

"June 8, 1967 was the worst day in the history of the National Security Agency. On that date, Israeli airplanes and torpedo boats mauled and nearly sank an American spy ship in international waters, killing or maiming most of its crew. This tragedy appears as a footnote to Israelis, an unpleasant sideshow of their victorious Six Day War, while official Washington preferred the embarrassing episode be forgotten.

On the fateful morning of June 8, the Liberty was sailing almost 30 miles north of the Sinai Peninsula, a war zone. Just before 2 p.m., two Israeli Air Force Mirage fighter jets raked Liberty’s decks with cannon fire. They were soon joined by three Israeli attack jets which executed multiple attack runs on the American ship -- By the time they ceased, nine Americans were dead or dying, and dozens more were wounded -- then shortly before 2:30 p.m., three Israeli Navy torpedo boats approached the Liberty, which was burning and littered with maimed sailors. They soon made an attack run on the wounded vessel, launching several torpedoes, only one of which found its target -- killing 25 more Americans; with cannon and machine gun fire, culling sailors trying to save their vessel and wounded shipmates."

My father was a US Naval vet who served in the Korean war and if it wasn't for him; I would have never learned about this years ago...Even now, I asked a few of my friends and colleagues about it; they never knew either....why?? Is this incident not worth being told and remembering?? Hollywood not making a movie about this one??

Why did it take nearly 40 years for us to find out that this wasn't just a simple "ooops, my bad" on the part of Israel?? In fact, there was confirmation that the Israelis knew in advance that it was an American ship. I see why the survivors of that attack are pissed at both their own government and the Israeli government for continuing the cover-up for this long -- but so many people not even knowing what happened at all is just another slap in the face.

My family was caught up in the 1967 war. The Israels sent low flying surveillance flights over the USS Liberty for 2-3 hours before they attacked.

Read Moshe Dayan.

My family was caught up in the 1967 war. The Israels sent low flying surveillance flights over the USS Liberty for 2-3 hours before they attacked.

Read Moshe Dayan.
I will read that.....

I just always found it odd...I remember my pops told me that they went into the hull of the ship to retrieve equipment and body parts and they seemed more interested in the equipment more than the body parts...and they burned the body parts in an incinerator....

I can't imagine Cuba accidentally bombing one of our ships and killing over 30 sailors and we not knowing anything about it

Mystery? details of the event were broadcast over the radio ---while the Israeli Navy
was still rescuing usa SAILORS out of the water. I was working in a USA hospital on
that day------I remember the DETAILS well

Mystery? details of the event were broadcast over the radio ---while the Israeli Navy
was still rescuing usa SAILORS out of the water. I was working in a USA hospital on
What details??

It was widely presented as a simple mistake......

We know that isn't the case

and now its mostly forgot about......

Read Moshe Dayan.
I will read that.....

I just always found it odd...I remember my pops told me that they went into the hull of the ship to retrieve equipment and body parts and they seemed more interested in the equipment more than the body parts...and they burned the body parts in an incinerator....

I can't imagine Cuba accidentally bombing one of our ships and killing over 30 sailors and we not knowing anything about it

The Israelis denied it for 13 years and paid a pittance in reparations.

PS----then I joined the Navy-----where I dealt with many victims
"FRIENDLY FIRE" ---during peacetime--

The Israelis continued to shoot life rafts and survivors in the water.

What details??

It was a very silly mistake-----the US navy floated a ship into an arena of
war and failed to notify the players and DID NOT ANSWER HAILS

The Israelis continued to shoot life rafts and survivors in the water.
wrong again-----Israel picked up the survivors------if the muzzie version was even close
to true------the entire ship would have floundered with all hands dead

I blame LBJ as much as I blame the Israelis.

LBJ gave them a pass because he didn't want to piss off the pro Israeli American Jewish lobby that were heavy contributors to the Democrat Party.

He sold out his country for partisan political money and that is despicable.

The sonofabitch would even present the Medal of Honor to the Captain at the White House because he was afraid of what the Jews would say.

A very despicable chapter in our history. May LBJ and the assholes that attacked the ship rot in hell.

What details??

The sailors on the ship say different....but I assume they would lie about that......

The sailors also said Israeli jets had been buzzing by them 2 hours previously....one of the sailors even waved....

But yea....they pretty much had it coming by being there

What details??

The sailors on the ship say different....but I assume they would lie about that......

The sailors also said Israeli jets had been buzzing by them 2 hours previously....one of the sailors even waved....

I have reviewed deaths in the NAVY during peacetime-----
the lies FLY LIKE GNATS at an evening picnic at the beach.
I cannot discuss cases------

What details??

ROFLMAO----"jets buzzing them for hours"------SHEEEESH there was a war
going on

I served in the US Army Security Agency. We did the same thing in the Army that those sailors did aboard that ship.

I was on duty at the 17th ASA Field Station in Rosthwestin Germany the day the Liberty was attacked. I saw the real time messages that the Liberty were relaying to DIRNSA. There is no doubt in my mind it was a deliberate attack on the Liberty. There was no mistake. Everybody knew it. LBJ covered it up as to not alienate the American pro Israel lobby from the Democrat Party.

I served in the US Army Security Agency. We did the same thing in the Army that those sailors did aboard that ship.

I was on duty at the 17th ASA Field Station in Rosthwestin Germany the day the Liberty was attacked. I saw the real time messages that the Liberty were relaying to DIRNSA. There is no doubt in my mind it was a deliberate attack on the Liberty. There was no mistake. Everybody knew it. LBJ covered it up as to not alienate the American pro Israel lobby from the Democrat Party.
what is DIRNSA? Did you get the real time return to Israeli hails?

what is DIRNSA? Did you get the real time return to Israeli hails?
Director NSA.

We were a relay station and had traffic both ways.

Director NSA.

We were a relay station and had traffic both ways.
so you DID get the Liberty's RETURN HAILS----
right? uhm....well maybe not or-----maybe
yes and the Liberty EXPLAINED why it was hanging
around an arena of war-------RIGHT? well maybe
not..... Are you navy? I was navy

so you DID get the Liberty's RETURN HAILS----
right? uhm....well maybe not or-----maybe
yes and the Liberty EXPLAINED why it was hanging
around an arena of war-------RIGHT? well maybe
not..... Are you navy? I was navy
We got heavy traffic back and forth between the Liberty and Washington for about two hours. I was in an Army ASA station.

No doubt the attack was on purpose and the LBJ administration covered it up so as not to alienate the American pro Israel lobby that was big donors to the Democrat Party.

Forum List

Back