Remember when Republican's had some sense of Climate Change

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
in June of 1989, just six months into his term, President Bush tabled amendments to the Clean Air Act to improve air quality in U.S. cities, reduce U.S. emissions of ozone-depleting substances (the ozone hole over the Antarctic had been discovered in 1984), and tackle acid rain, which had become a pressing issue. Coal-fired power plants, mostly in the Midwest, were polluting the atmosphere with sulfur dioxide, which was leading to acid rain in the Northeast and mid-Atlantic, damaging forests and killing aquatic wildlife. Canada was particularly affected (sadly, air currents ignore international boundaries), and U.S.-Canada relations were suffering as a result. President Bush sought to cap the total quantity of sulfur dioxide that could be emitted, and reduce that cap over time.

-----------------------------------------

Me neither, not for a long long time. I voted for him, but I will never vote republican again.

in June of 1989, just six months into his term, President Bush tabled amendments to the Clean Air Act to improve air quality in U.S. cities, reduce U.S. emissions of ozone-depleting substances (the ozone hole over the Antarctic had been discovered in 1984), and tackle acid rain, which had become a pressing issue. Coal-fired power plants, mostly in the Midwest, were polluting the atmosphere with sulfur dioxide, which was leading to acid rain in the Northeast and mid-Atlantic, damaging forests and killing aquatic wildlife. Canada was particularly affected (sadly, air currents ignore international boundaries), and U.S.-Canada relations were suffering as a result. President Bush sought to cap the total quantity of sulfur dioxide that could be emitted, and reduce that cap over time.

Me neither, not for a long long time. I voted for him, but I will never vote republican again.
Good, settles that problem. It's good to know your limitations.

You're a moron, they won't miss you.

remember when Democrats had common sense?

Me either

I believe that the op, along with all fascist democrat street trash, should be sterilized so that they may not further pollute the planet via their specifically inferior genetic structure!

Seriously, they are literally insanely stupid! :banana:
Yep....or let them marry their butt-buddies and never allow them to have any test-tube babies.

Remember when Dems weren't useless whiney twats?

Me neither.

Consider keeping current with updated times, not wallowing in the past, 33+ years ago.
Flue-gas desulfurization (FGD) is a set of technologies used to remove sulfur dioxide (SO
2) from exhaust flue gases of fossil-fuel power plants, and from the emissions of other sulfur oxide emitting processes such as waste incineration.

Methods​

Since stringent environmental regulations limiting SO2 emissions have been enacted in many countries, SO2 is being removed from flue gases by a variety of methods. Common methods used:

For a typical coal-fired power station, flue-gas desulfurization (FGD) may remove 90 percent or more of the SO2 in the flue gases.[2]
~~~~~~~

Flue-Gas Desulphurization - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

iu

iu

fig-1_flue-gas-desulfurization-flow-diagram.jpg

Etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~
BTW, my last employer was a major manufacturer of components for wet FGD systems. I was the QA-Inspector there.

This was before the Republican Party was completely bought by special interests. Pre McCain-Feingold, pre-Citizens United.

Also for the ignorant, confused and stupid Democrats and Leftists posting on this subject;

History​

Methods of removing sulfur dioxide from boiler and furnace exhaust gases have been studied for over 150 years. Early ideas for flue gas desulfurization were established in England around 1850.

With the construction of large-scale power plants in England in the 1920s, the problems associated with large volumes of SO2 from a single site began to concern the public. The SO2 emissions problem did not receive much attention until 1929, when the House of Lords upheld the claim of a landowner against the Barton Electricity Works of the Manchester Corporation for damages to his land resulting from SO2 emissions. Shortly thereafter, a press campaign was launched against the erection of power plants within the confines of London. This outcry led to the imposition of SO2 controls on all such power plants.[3]

The first major FGD unit at a utility was installed in 1931 at Battersea Power Station, owned by London Power Company. In 1935, an FGD system similar to that installed at Battersea went into service at Swansea Power Station. The third major FGD system was installed in 1938 at Fulham Power Station. These three early large-scale FGD installations were suspended during World War II, because the characteristic white vapour plumes would have aided location by enemy aircraft.[4] The FGD plant at Battersea was recommissioned after the war and, together with FGD plant at the new Bankside B power station opposite the City of London, operated until the stations closed in 1983 and 1981 respectively.[5] Large-scale FGD units did not reappear at utilities until the 1970s, where most of the installations occurred in the United States and Japan.[3]

In 1970, the U.S. Congress passed the Clean Air Act of 1970 (CAA). The law authorized development of federal regulations in the United States covering emissions from both stationary (industrial) and mobile sources, which were subsequently published by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). In 1977, Congress amended the law to require more stringent controls on air emissions.[6] In response to the CAA requirements, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) authorized the formation of the PTC 40 Standards Committee in 1978. This committee first convened in 1979 with the purpose of developing a standardized "procedure for conducting and reporting performance tests of FGD systems and reporting the results in terms of the following categories: (a) emissions reduction, (b) consumable and utilities, (c) waste and by-product characterization and amount."[7] The first code draft was approved by ASME in 1990 and adopted by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) in 1991. The PTC 40-1991 Standard was available for public use for those units affected by the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments. In 2006, the PTC 40 Committee reconvened following EPA publication of the Clean Air Interstate Rule (CAIR) in 2005.[8] In 2017, the revised PTC 40 Standard was published. This revised standard (PTC 40-2017) covers Dry and Regenerable FGD systems and provides a more detailed Uncertainty Analysis section. This standard is currently in use today by companies around the world.

When is the Left going to be consistent about Climate Change?

- end private jets and yachts and SUVs to Climate change conferences

- hold China accountable for CO2 emissions

- stop investing in foreign fossil fuel companies (Biden, Kerry, Pelosi).

When the Left stops being full of shit and inconsistent on Climate Change, then I will listen.

Forum List

Back