Religious people seem to have more bias in these debates.

I'm sure the other side has its own bias too, but I think it's different. The difference is religious people seem to need their religion. If they were confronted with proof that their God isn't real I think a lot of them would be very broken on a spiritual and emotional level. Conversely I think if agnostics and atheists were confronted with proof that God is real it would have a different kind of impact. I think many atheists would be salty over being wrong, but I don't think it would destroy them in the same way. The purpose in their universe doesn't hinge on God in the same way. Personally, as an agnostic that was formally an atheist, I'd be thrilled to find out God really exists. It would simplify the universe and bring me a lot of comfort, which is probably what religion does for the religious.

Why does it matter? I think religious people, because they need this more, will bend and go to any length to avoid absorbing the kind of scrutiny that would make them question their God. They are by far the more desperate and stubborn ones in this debate. It's not about logic and facts for them. They need this, so you're never going to change their minds.
As we know, religion is rarely a choice. People rarely apply very hard standards to their religious beliefs. They tend to be cultural (i.e., you grew up in a social environment that preferred one belief over another.

One's religion is, with near exclusivity, a matter of parentage and place of birth. Raise a child in an islamic nation of islamic parents and the child will be Moslem. The same thing for a Hindu child in a Hindu home or a child from the US in a christian home.

A person's happenstance of geographic place of birth and parentage is, overwhelmingly, what drives their religion.

If this forum were in India, overwhelmingly, the religious people would be making the same arguments for the Hindu gods that the Christians are making for their gods.

Consolation for the certainty of death for themselves and everyone they love. They cannot cope with the possibility that their parents and grandparents no longer exist in any meaningful form. Never underestimate how much these people fear death. For this reason I am loath to attack anyone's personal faith. I keep all my criticism on the point where faith intersects politics.

I am terrified of death. In a way I envy them for that comfort.
If your terrified of death then just believe

Consolation for the certainty of death for themselves and everyone they love. They cannot cope with the possibility that their parents and grandparents no longer exist in any meaningful form. Never underestimate how much these people fear death. For this reason I am loath to attack anyone's personal faith. I keep all my criticism on the point where faith intersects politics.

Which gods should I believe in? I'm value shopping. The Islamic gods don't give me carnal rewards like they do men so they're out.

. The only one who predicted his own death
Which gods should I believe in? I'm value shopping. The Islamic gods don't give me carnal rewards like they do men so they're out.

I'm sure the other side has its own bias too, but I think it's different. The difference is religious people seem to need their religion. If they were confronted with proof that their God isn't real I think a lot of them would be very broken on a spiritual and emotional level. Conversely I think if agnostics and atheists were confronted with proof that God is real it would have a different kind of impact. I think many atheists would be salty over being wrong, but I don't think it would destroy them in the same way. The purpose in their universe doesn't hinge on God in the same way. Personally, as an agnostic that was formally an atheist, I'd be thrilled to find out God really exists. It would simplify the universe and bring me a lot of comfort, which is probably what religion does for the religious.

Why does it matter? I think religious people, because they need this more, will bend and go to any length to avoid absorbing the kind of scrutiny that would make them question their God. They are by far the more desperate and stubborn ones in this debate. It's not about logic and facts for them. They need this, so you're never going to change their minds.
Yes, I do have a bias. A bias to the proven truth that God exists. I do not need the Bible to validate that either. There are enough well documented, eye witness, empirical evidence, even video taped miracles of the Catholic faith that falls under the category of “evidence that demands a verdict.” And when I get answers from skeptics like “mass hallucination” or “trickery by the nuns to make the eyes of the Virgin Mary weep tears of blood” I know then what I am up against. I am not dealing with a scientific approach, I am dealing with a hardened heart that refuses to believe no matter what evidence is given. They even believe that from a mass of “primordial soup” could arise the mind of a human being --- all by pure luck and chance with no intelligent being guiding the process. Talk about bias.

You are right about one thing,however; ; if I was fairly certain there was no God or life after death, I surely would go mad.

Yes, I do have a bias. A bias to the proven truth that God exists. I do not need the Bible to validate that either. There are enough well documented, eye witness, empirical evidence, even video taped miracles of the Catholic faith that falls under the category of “evidence that demands a verdict.” And when I get answers from skeptics like “mass hallucination” or “trickery by the nuns to make the eyes of the Virgin Mary weep tears of blood” I know then what I am up against. I am not dealing with a scientific approach, I am dealing with a hardened heart that refuses to believe no matter what evidence is given. They even believe that from a mass of “primordial soup” could arise the mind of a human being --- all by pure luck and chance with no intelligent being guiding the process. Talk about bias.

You are right about one thing,however; ; if I was fairly certain there was no God or life after death, I surely would go mad.
I just got chills reading this post, you have the holy Spirit in you

There are some 30 allegories for paradise in the Koran. Women don't make out too badly. :)

The world would be a much safer and happier place with religion at its foundation.

Like during the Dark Ages?
6 Reasons the Dark Ages Weren’t So Dark
The centuries following the fall of the Roman Empire in 476 A.D. are often referred to as the Dark Ages—but were they really?

It's pretty ironic, but in their last moment on earth, most every atheist will more than likely either beg God for one more breath of air, or beg Him for forgiveness.

Even this one probably did...

Madalyn Murray O'Hair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

If this was true it would just lend credibility to the idea that religion is fueled by fear of death and the unknown.

Very few true Christians I've known are afraid of dying.
Where I was adopted and used dna to figure it out after 68 years.
My reunion is going to be very interesting.

Religion is personal and those that are religious can't help but inject emotion into the debate. Many take any questioning of their religion or the god they believe in as a personal attack which is why religious discussions tend to devolve
The government is the lefts god. Which is why they are all so unhinged when things don’t go their way.

Religion is personal and those that are religious can't help but inject emotion into the debate. Many take any questioning of their religion or the god they believe in as a personal attack which is why religious discussions tend to devolve
The government is the lefts god. Which is why they are all so unhinged when things don’t go their way.

You have to expand your mind and think beyond left and right political leanings

So in your mind the existence of the Christian God is indisputably proven?

The left belongs to the religious cult of CRT. Even people from the left side of the spectrum have pointed this out. It’s why they have been now banned from Twitter.

The left belongs to the religious cult of CRT. Even people from the left side of the spectrum have pointed this out. It’s why they have been now banned from Twitter.
there you go again.

The world and people are far too complex to paint with that ridiculously broad brush of yours

Like they say, "When someone has nothing to believe in, they'll believe anything."

Forum List

Back