Religion and Ethics?

So Buddhism would not be a religion then

IMHO, since Buddhism does not believe in a "God" then by definition it isn't actually a religion. OTOH, they do believe in rebirth and karma which would appear to be supernatural events. Do those things happen by themselves or by the power/energy of some higher entity? It evidently isn't something to worry about if you're a buddhist.

IMHO, since Buddhism does not believe in a "God" then by definition it isn't actually a religion. OTOH, they do believe in rebirth and karma which would appear to be supernatural events. Do those things happen by themselves or by the power/energy of some higher entity? It evidently isn't something to worry about if you're a buddhist.
Buddhism doesn't like the term God because it suggests there is a being outside of you who knows more than you even about yourself and who is responsible for you. It doesn't even like people getting too into the Buddha who I am told one said 'Put no truth above the deepest truth you know within yourself'. We all have the potential to reach ou buddha nature. A big difference is in the change in our identification. Most people in the West identify with their ego (meaning sense of self not big headedness) Buddhism does not. It identifies more with being. It does have all kinds of collective things done together like medication, study, evening rituals, mantra chanting and so on. These things seem to identify as religion.

Last edited:
Buddhism doesn't like the term God because it suggests there is a being outside of you who knows more than you even about yourself and who is responsible for you. It doesn't even like people getting too into the Buddha who I am told one said 'Put no truth above the deepest truth you know within yourself'. We all have the potential to reach ou buddha nature. A big difference is in the change in our identification. Most people in the West identify with their ego (meaning sense of self not big headedness) Buddhism does not. It identifies more with being. It does have all kinds of collective things done together like medication, study, evening rituals, mantra chanting and so on. These things seem to identify as religion.

Sounds more like a philosophy to me. I could ask about their view of rebirth and karma but I'm probably not smart enough to understand what their answer might be. How does that happen without some kind of supernatural enery/force/being? Ah well, it's kinda out of my pay grade. And I'm retired so I don't even have a pay grade.

Sounds more like a philosophy to me. I could ask about their view of rebirth and karma but I'm probably not smart enough to understand what their answer might be. How does that happen without some kind of supernatural enery/force/being? Ah well, it's kinda out of my pay grade. And I'm retired so I don't even have a pay grade.
There is a lot of what we might think of as supernatural stuff in Buddhism. It just isn't thought of as Supernatural. Why do you think that having a God is essential to religion when it isn't to spirituality. Buddhism for instance is clearly about Spirituality.

Why do you think that having a God is essential to religion when it isn't to spirituality.

IMHO, religion and spirituality are not the same things. I see spirituality as having 2 separate branches, those who believe in a God (religion) and those who don't. A religious person is also a spiritual person. but a spiritual person is not necessarily a religious person. Spirituality encompasses religion but is not restricted to it.

Buddhism for instance is clearly about Spirituality.

Yes.

spiritual:
adjective

1. 1.
    relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.
    "I'm responsible for his spiritual welfare"

Similar:
    nonmaterial inner psychic psychical psychological incorporeal intangible otherworldly unworldly ethereal transcendent mystic mystical numinous metaphysical extramundane immaterial

Opposite:
    physical material corporeal mundane

2. 2.
    relating to religion or religious belief.
    "the tribe's spiritual leader"

Similar:
    religious sacred divine holy nonsecular church churchly
magic:
noun

1. the power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.
    "suddenly, as if by magic, the doors start to open"

Similar:
    sorcery witchcraft wizardry necromancy enchantment spellworking incantation the supernatural occultism the occult blac

Religion and faith have nothing to do with being roped in by a government who sees (or for a long time) saw a ready-made group they could manipulate. Now, instead of yelling, "Do it for God" they are yelling, "Do it for Democracy." Hopefully, the masses are now wary enough of government they will not be manipulated by any slogan.

God is about caring for each of us individually, not about running a nation(s).
I dunno... I wish you are right, that would be ideal... But I don't think the world is rolling with that... They have a different outlook of using people to promote their cause, with the promise of an "afterlife".

Why does the President have to say "God Bless the USA!!!" after every speech? Is God on the USA's side? Or are they trying to brainwash us that God does bless the USA, and the USA only? So that religious people follow?

I dunno... I wish you are right, that would be ideal... But I don't think the world is rolling with that... They have a different outlook of using people to promote their cause, with the promise of an "afterlife".
I am correct. People use daily sunrise to promote their cause, they dangle "free" education, VA housing, welfare. Promising an afterlife is like promising a new day. It is going to happen regardless. People--especially those in government (but employers, too)--are users and controllers. They envy churches because they don't need to control--they simply are and people come to them. And the reason most attend is the encouragement they receive to handle this life. From what I understand, no encouragement needed to handle the afterlife.

Why does the President have to say "God Bless the USA!!!" after every speech? Is God on the USA's side? Or are they trying to brainwash us that God does bless the USA, and the USA only? So that religious people follow?
The reason for God bless, In God We Trust, One nation under God, is that our Founding Fathers were adamant that this nation would not be a nation ruled by a person--where the highest authority was a person (or people). Our rulers were to recognize and acknowledge the people are governed by a higher authority, one that grants all freedom. The nation will fail because our leaders are failing at recognizing and leading that we are a nation under God.

Who said anyone believes that God only blesses the USA? Nonsense. Abraham Lincoln was once asked if he believed God was on the side of the Union. Lincoln responded, "I think it is more important that we are on the side of God."

If GOd was on the side of the USA, why are we having these troubles?
Goes back to the question, Are we on the side of God?

Independent of that, do you see the question as, "Will we suffer?" The true and better question is, "How will we suffer?" And, a question to ourselves, "How do we plan to handle that suffering?"

We brought our current suffering upon ourselves. We elected the wrong people. So now we deal with what we brought upon ourselves.

Independent of that, do you see the question as, "Will we suffer?" The true and better question is, "How will we suffer?" And, a question to ourselves, "How do we plan to handle that suffering?"

We brought our current suffering upon ourselves. We elected the wrong people. So now we deal with what we brought upon ourselves.
Agree. I don’t believe in blaming G-d for what is happening to our once-great country. He does not control everything, as man has free will.

The fault lies with the gullible, uninformed fools who were convinced by a dishonest media that Biden, a senile and divisive old man who now is claiming half of all American voters are a threat to democracy while he (or those running him) work overtime to install a “board” to block free speech of anyone dissenting from the Official Leftist Narrative, was preferable to Trump. We are now all paying the price.

God is about caring for each of us individually, not about running a nation(s).
Meri----IMVO, Jesus is turning over in his
grave. -----NOW!!! try to pay attention!!!
Christian (gawd help me) divinity students
(no less) have told me about the messianic
"prophesies" of the "OT"---now for the
news!!!! THEY ALL INVOLVED SOME SORT
OF DESCRIPTION OF RIGHTEOUS GOVERN-
MENT. ---

---right FREE CHOICE does us in, lots BUT--
FREE CHOICE FOR MAN is a cosmic decree
(read the first book of the "OT")

don't give up----no matter how deteriorated---
you still have two neurons to rub together

Meri----IMVO, Jesus is turning over in his
grave. -----NOW!!! try to pay attention!!!
Christian (gawd help me) divinity students
(no less) have told me about the messianic
"prophesies" of the "OT"---now for the
news!!!! THEY ALL INVOLVED SOME SORT
OF DESCRIPTION OF RIGHTEOUS GOVERN-
MENT. ---
Non-Catholic Christian ideology is that the events of Revelation have yet to happen--but are about to. Shrug. People who lived in the 1300s had a better case for end times. In any case, our Old Testament ancestors had the wisdom to advise their descendants that even a great leader and memories/legacies of a great leader are only effective for so long. Expect governments to continue to fail until God, Himself, rules. Mankind is and has been--and will continue to ultimately be--a complete failure at leading/ruling.

Non-Catholic Christian ideology is that the events of Revelation have yet to happen--but are about to. Shrug. People who lived in the 1300s had a better case for end times. In any case, our Old Testament ancestors had the wisdom to advise their descendants that even a great leader and memories/legacies of a great leader are only effective for so long. Expect governments to continue to fail until God, Himself, rules. Mankind is and has been--and will continue to ultimately be--a complete failure at leading/ruling.
not the message of ISAIAH .......and he is one of your faves. In fact, not the message of the
book you call "GENESIS" Isaiah's messiah is
not "GAWD"

not the message of ISAIAH .......and he is one of your faves. In fact, not the message of the
book you call "GENESIS" Isaiah's messiah is
not "GAWD"
Agreed. Not Isaiah or Genesis. One of the later prophets I think, or perhaps something I read outside the Bible.

Forum List

Back