Recipes Central - Repository of Favorites

The Secret to Better Home Fries? Cook Them Like the French Do​

How to make pommes persillade (potatoes with parsley and garlic).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A conversational tidbit to share ...​

The English Word That Hasn’t Changed in Sound or Meaning in 8,000 Years​

The word lox was one of the clues that eventually led linguists to discover who the Proto-Indo-Europeans were, and where they lived.

I'd be tempted to replace the pine nuts with pistachios and maybe add some noodles.

Baked Fish in Tahini Sauce (Siniyet Samak Bil Yahineh) Recipe​

A creamy tahini sauce—with lemon, garlic, and green chiles—adds flavor and fragrance to this comforting Middle Eastern casserole

Fear and Loathing in Your Home Kitchen​

Every home cook has ingredients and dishes they avoid out of fear, or tools they’re afraid to use. What does it take to get over it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How To Make Classic Prime Rib​

The simplest, easiest method.

Docking these here for now . . . .

How to Fry Fish: The Ultimate Guide on Everything from Oil Temperature to Batter Recipes​

Here’s your guide on how to fry fish like a pro​

~~~~~~~~~~~~​

9 Recipes for Tasty, Portable Breakfasts to Help You Get Out the Door Fast​

We got quick breakfast, we've got fast breakfast, we've got tasty breakfast!​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Rachel Roddy’s Eight Rules of Pasta, Plus Her Favourite Sauce Recipes​

How much water and salt to use? Drain the pasta well or leave it dripping? It depends on whether you’re making this double tomato sauce or this courgette-almond pesto.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

You Should Put a Bowl of Vinegar in Your Dishwasher—Here’s Why​

It’s a terrific rinse-aid that combats water stains like no other.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Brief History of the Mason Jar​

Around since 1858, the home canning classic is a sought after item for pandemic gardeners.

Butter Cauliflower Bowl Recipe​

Indian butter chicken is made healthier and heartier with this nutrient-loaded cauliflower dish.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

America’s Next Food Craze Is Buried in Appalachia​

The Appalachian truffle, Tuber canaliculatum, is a one-ounce ball of delight that could be the next culinary star, yet it’s virtually unknown. I’m here to figure out why. For years I’ve been chasing truffle hunters across half a dozen European countries as I research a book. The prize—extraordinarily pungent orbs of fungus that grow tethered to tree roots, with which they share nutrients—are a billion-dollar business there, where diners pay upward of $6,000 per pound. Every year, tens of thousands of hunters scour the forests, using trained dogs to sniff truffles out underground. The continent’s famous white variety grows almost exclusively in the wild forests of Italy and Eastern Europe, and the great black strain flourishes on farms in Spain and France. North America has always been left out of the smelly fun. I had assumed this was because there are no comparable truffles to be found here.

Then, three years ago, I learned about T. can, as its handful of aficionados call it. The truffle has been found in Michigan and Massachusetts, but the Appalachians seemed to be a hot spot. There were rumors that it was delicious, but all the reports seemed to be thirdhand. I was intrigued but skeptical.

Speaking of sauerkraut, reminded of a recipe of my late mother which was a favorite.
After a quick grill of the pork chops(or loins), add them with some sausages (tube steaks) (anywhere from Polish to brats, to andoullie) into a pot of sauerkraut along with shredded apple and onion. Dump over some mashed potatoes and enjoy.

Brining Beans With Baking Soda: An Investigation​

Soaking beans in a solution of salt and baking soda yields creamy, cooked beans in less time.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Coolest Way to Keep Food Cold Without Refrigeration​

Electricity not necessary.
Believe it or not, you don’t need a fridge to keep food cold. Just gather some ceramic pots, sand, and water, and you’ve got a portable, non-electric mini-fridge with a time-tested design. After all, people were preserving food for thousands of years before you had to keep that leftover takeout from stinking up your college dorm.

In some parts of the world, this clay pot cooler is called a zeer, and its sustainable, inexpensive design is far from new. People in the Middle East and Africa have long used similar contraptions to keep food from spoiling in hot, dry climates.

Vietnamese Daikon and Carrot Pickles (Do Chua)​

Julienned carrots and daikon in a salty-sweet vinegar brine are the perfect quick condiment for grilled meat, sandwiches, or classic Vietnamese banh mi.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuscan Butter Mushrooms Recipe​

Rich and creamy with pops of brightness from the cherry tomatoes

Last edited:

Fromage Fictions: The 14 Biggest Cheese Myths, Debunked​

‘I hate to dictate to people. I don’t like too many rules,” says Iain Mellis, a cheesemonger of 40 years, with cheese shops bearing his name scattered across Scotland.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is interesting in many ways, though a bit tangent to the thread topic;

How a Humble Mushroom Could Save Forests and Fight Climate Change​

Inoculating trees with an edible fungi can produce more protein per hectare than pasture-raised beef, while reforesting, storing carbon and restoring biodiversity.
This is exactly what our latest research focuses on, looking at fungi that grow in partnership with trees, in a mutually beneficial arrangement. This is a common association and some species can produce large mushroom fruiting bodies, such as the highly prized truffle. Aside from this delicacy, cultivation of these species is a new and emerging field. But progress is especially being made in one group known as milk caps, that include a beautiful and unusually bright blue species known as Lactarius indigo, or the blue milk cap.

High in dietary fibre and essential fatty acids, this edible mushroom’s blue pigmentation means they are easy to identify safely. With extracts demonstrating antibacterial properties and an ability to kill cancer cells, the blue milk cap could also be a source of pharmacological potential.

Stove top, 10"(+) skillet with a tight lid:

How To Cook Moist & Tender Chicken Breasts Every Time​

This method takes trust; you can’t check the chicken breasts or watch them cooking. But you won’t have to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

How To Cook Tender & Juicy Pork Chops in the Oven​

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Recipe: Easy, Creamy Lemon Garlic Skillet Chicken​

It's likely I've already presented something like this already here, but always worth a repeat as it becomes one of those "immigrant" dishes that warps into an USA staple.

How To Make Quick Vietnamese Beef Noodle Pho​

A quick version of the restaurant staple that’s easy to make at home.

Around the World in Rare and Beautiful Apples​

From the sweet to the offbeat.
~~~~~~~~~~​

7 NYC Chefs Share Their Pantry Organization Secrets​

From squeeze bottles to wish-list shelves.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Here’s When You Should Eat Protein​

For optimal muscle gains, when you eat matters just as much as what you eat.

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sumac​

Beloved for its wonderful tartness, sumac is a spice that goes well with just about anything
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cheesy Mashed Potato Pancakes Recipe​

There’s just something about that beautiful cheese pull.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

The Best Flourless Chocolate Cake​

The oldest and most popular dessert at San Francisco's legendary Zuni Café, this gluten-free chocolate cake boasts a fine, tender crumb and bold chocolate flavor.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe​

The recipe is only eight ingredients (nine if you are a stickler and count the rice).

Last edited:
8EFD5CD3-D9C4-4220-A31C-9493FBAA162E.jpeg

Harvest Chicken Skillet with Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts is one of the most popular recipes on my site, and it’s not hard to see why. It will satisfy your taste buds in the best way, fulfill your desire for a nutritious meal, and leave you with only one skillet to clean up afterward.
This harvest chicken breast skillet recipe features all of my favorite fall ingredients—sweet potatoes, apples, Brussels sprouts, and a touch of cinnamon—along with one of my favorite year-round ingredients, BACON.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This healthy Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala recipe was inspired by the month I spent in India, otherwise known as 30 of the most delicious days of my life. We didn’t grow up eating Indian food so before I visited, I wasn’t even sure if I’d like it. Chicken tikka masala (and every Indian food recipe I tasted after) crushed that doubt in one bite.
Chicken tikka masala is a rich, flavorful Indian dish that consists of bite-sized pieces of juicy boneless chicken bathed in a rich, thick spiced curry sauce. It’s spiced in the sense of being intensely flavorful; it’s not spicy in the sense of being “hot.” The tikka sauce is orange in color, and it usually contains a creamy ingredient like coconut cream or yogurt. There is not one true recipe for chicken tikka masala, and you can find dozens (and dozens) of versions of it online. Today, I’m sharing my favorite easy chicken tikka masala recipe that’s made with simple ingredients you can find at the average grocery store.

Harvest Chicken Skillet with Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts is one of the most popular recipes on my site, and it’s not hard to see why. It will satisfy your taste buds in the best way, fulfill your desire for a nutritious meal, and leave you with only one skillet to clean up afterward.
This harvest chicken breast skillet recipe features all of my favorite fall ingredients—sweet potatoes, apples, Brussels sprouts, and a touch of cinnamon—along with one of my favorite year-round ingredients, BACON.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This healthy Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala recipe was inspired by the month I spent in India, otherwise known as 30 of the most delicious days of my life. We didn’t grow up eating Indian food so before I visited, I wasn’t even sure if I’d like it. Chicken tikka masala (and every Indian food recipe I tasted after) crushed that doubt in one bite.
Chicken tikka masala is a rich, flavorful Indian dish that consists of bite-sized pieces of juicy boneless chicken bathed in a rich, thick spiced curry sauce. It’s spiced in the sense of being intensely flavorful; it’s not spicy in the sense of being “hot.” The tikka sauce is orange in color, and it usually contains a creamy ingredient like coconut cream or yogurt. There is not one true recipe for chicken tikka masala, and you can find dozens (and dozens) of versions of it online. Today, I’m sharing my favorite easy chicken tikka masala recipe that’s made with simple ingredients you can find at the average grocery store.

You don’t do sprouts the British way?

I baked chicken in my new halogen oven. I can’t stop eating it. (The chicken, not the oven. :razz:)

Forum List

Back