Rate Yourself as a Cook

DItto on spending time in the kitchen.
Bonzi takes on the role of sous chef etc., especially on weekends.
As for Asian cooking, it is one of the easiest. And forget the prepared salt bomb mixes at the grocery store. They are just that - salt bombs. To make awesome, better than take out Asian food - you just need a wok, soy sauce/sesame oil maybe some coconut milk if you are going Thai. But seriously, Asian food is one of the easiest/quickest cuisines to make.

We got on an Asian kick years ago.
Still have the wok.
About the only thing we make that even resembles asian food these days is things like teriyaki chicken,beef or pork.
We might do some orange chicken every once and awhile.

I'm a 10.
I'm a professional. Professionally trained and educated in Hyde Park NY.

I'm in books...have a few signed by authors. (You probably have never heard of them)

I have an Escoffier and a Larousse on quick grab reach. I just read the ingredients and then go write a recipe. (If I intend on duplicating it many times over and over)

I'm a 10.

I'm in books...have a few signed by authors. (You probably have never heard of them)

I have an Escoffier and a Larousse on quick grab reach. I just read the ingredients and then go write a recipe. (If I intend on duplicating it many times over and over)
Okay. Tell me how to make shit on a shingle.

The old Navy chow we had back in the day. Haven't had that in forever.

I'm a 10.

I have never heard of those last two....now I'm a 3. hahahah

I have never made anything bad, but due to how much I really don't know about cooking in the grand scheme, I would never give myself ten. I am more along the lines of a seven all things considered.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

That's awesome--I would love to be a 7! Maybe someday.

I'm a 10.

Also...

I hope this will make you laugh. Soon after I was married, and teaching, our school put together a cookbook of parents/teachers as a fundraiser. I jokingly submitted my "grilled cheese" recipe, which involved me forgetting to flip the sandwich and then furtively sneaking to the sink to scrape the burnt part off when my husband wasn't looking.

BUT I HAVE IMPROVED since then. I don't burn the sandwiches now and I fancy them up. Heh

I would love to borrow your brain for just one week to understand how you think about food and cooking. I'm sure it would change my cooking life.

DItto on spending time in the kitchen.
Bonzi takes on the role of sous chef etc., especially on weekends.
As for Asian cooking, it is one of the easiest. And forget the prepared salt bomb mixes at the grocery store. They are just that - salt bombs. To make awesome, better than take out Asian food - you just need a wok, soy sauce/sesame oil maybe some coconut milk if you are going Thai. But seriously, Asian food is one of the easiest/quickest cuisines to make.

I have a Tikki Masala recipe that I have to follow because yeah, I'm a 5. It's a Sat or Sun recipe. It's not difficult, just has to simmer after this and simmer after that. It takes a while so can't do it on a weekday. My sister said just buy the sauce at the store. But I have to say, the homemade with the fresh spices is really good. So I keep making it homemade....

This made me laugh out loud....

I prefer them grilled, but grew up having them boiled. Maybe it's a midwestern thing?

When I was a kid, my folks boiled them for us as well. When I started cooking my own food, that ended. Skillet, oven, grill, stove top griddle, I never boiled again. Not even for my kids.

Also...

I hope this will make you laugh. Soon after I was married, and teaching, our school put together a cookbook of parents/teachers as a fundraiser. I jokingly submitted my "grilled cheese" recipe, which involved me forgetting to flip the sandwich and then furtively sneaking to the sink to scrape the burnt part off when my husband wasn't looking.

BUT I HAVE IMPROVED since then. I don't burn the sandwiches now and I fancy them up. Heh

I would love to borrow your brain for just one week to understand how you think about food and cooking. I'm sure it would change my cooking life.

Actually....could use the help. I'm working on opening a bakery....but don't let the designation fool you. We are doing a LOT of things that have nothing to do with baking. Like Charcuterie, compound butters, and etc.
My wife didn't have a very educated palate when we first met. I had made some pasta (from semolina, water and eggs) and was telling her that I was just going to toss them in some butter and garlic and she wrinkles up her nose asking "don't you have any sauces? Nowadays she complains that I have ruined so many treats for her that it's difficult for her to find something else to eat. When you have had the best it's difficult to go back.

Today however I can send her out as a spy and know with confidence that she will relate to me exactly what someone is doing. Whether it's truly good or just a lot of hype.
Anybody wanting to learn can come. I start my day long before anyone else gets to smack that alarm clock. (3AM)
Because those English muffins aren't going to cook themselves....same with scratch danish or croissants....and fill them with all kinds of stuff. :D

Actually....could use the help. I'm working on opening a bakery....but don't let the designation fool you. We are doing a LOT of things that have nothing to do with baking. Like Charcuterie, compound butters, and etc.
My wife didn't have a very educated palate when we first met. I had made some pasta (from semolina, water and eggs) and was telling her that I was just going to toss them in some butter and garlic and she wrinkles up her nose asking "don't you have any sauces? Nowadays she complains that I have ruined so many treats for her that it's difficult for her to find something else to eat. When you have had the best it's difficult to go back.

Today however I can send her out as a spy and know with confidence that she will relate to me exactly what someone is doing. Whether it's truly good or just a lot of hype.
Anybody wanting to learn can come. I start my day long before anyone else gets to smack that alarm clock. (3AM)
Because those English muffins aren't going to cook themselves....same with scratch danish or croissants....and fill them with all kinds of stuff. :D

Well don't laugh too hard--one thing I am learning is if you have good ingredients to begin with simple is sometimes better. One of the best things I make is a Tomato Bread Salad and I use fresh everything except don't bake my own bread...you would though. :) But man, I'm small and not a big eater, but I could eat two huge platefuls of that. Now I want some.

Well don't laugh too hard--one thing I am learning is if you have good ingredients to begin with simple is sometimes better. One of the best things I make is a Tomato Bread Salad and I use fresh everything except don't bake my own bread...you would though. :) But man, I'm small and not a big eater, but I could eat two huge platefuls of that. Now I want some.
Now see....
If you use garden fresh, ripened on the vine tomatoes...that makes it a bit better doesn't it? (Friends with gardens...perhaps your own garden)
Then some artisan bread (lots of good artisan bread everywhere these days)

Then dress it with dressing you make from scratch. (Again something simple and easy and quick)
Now you have made something wonderful that celebrates the main ingredients and makes them stand out.

Good doesn't have to be complicated like Cajun food or Indian food. It's the promotion and blending of flavors in a complimentary way. A good salad is one that you can't stop picking at because you like each of the ingredients in it. Next thing you know you are full of salad.

My husband and I had this discussion a bit ago. He thinks my cooking is wonderful (God love him). I would give myself a FIVE on a scale of 1-10.

Here are my thoughts: a 10 would be a gourmet cook/chef, a professional or at least someone with training. A 1 would be the person who cannot boil water for a hot dog.

I rate myself a five because the food is good, and I can make more complicated food than when we first married. BUT I am not a creative cook. I rarely veer from recipes and I almost always use them. Additionally I do not enjoy cooking as a hobby. I don't hate it, but if I have free time, I'm not in the kitchen or looking up recipes.

Do you agree with my rating? What is yours?
I feel like I have waited for this question my entire life. I am an 11. I was trained by one of the best chef's in the business.

Yeah, this one:

Forum List

Back