Rant for dog owners

Why are you arguing this point so much?

Yeah it's "hard" to be with a pet thru it's last hours you may have bonded with over 20 years. I cried all afternoon the day my cat died. But being there for him during the hardest part of his short life was something I will never regret.

In my mind you OWE it to these good souls. They would never abandon you. We owe it to them.

Exactly!!!

Hell yes it is hard. But it will be hard whether you go in or not. It will be infinitely easier for your pet if you are there.

Why are you arguing this point so much?

Yeah it's "hard" to be with a pet thru it's last hours you may have bonded with over 20 years. I cried all afternoon the day my cat died. But being there for him during the hardest part of his short life was something I will never regret.

In my mind you OWE it to these good souls. They would never abandon you. We owe it to them.
I would never regret it either,,

but what I wont do is condemn other people that couldnt and tell them to leave those same dogs/cats in shelters to die more alone that this,,,

I would never regret it either,,

but what I wont do is condemn other people that couldnt and tell them to leave those same dogs/cats in shelters to die more alone that this,,,

Your insistence that someone who send their pet back alone to die will adopt another dog, but those who are there and provide comfort as their pet passes will not, is just bullshit.

I have known very few people who had to put their pet down that did not get another. Very few.

And as I said, getting your pet spayed or neutered would save exponentially more animals.

A few years ago, someone started a thread (here or on Faacebook - I can't recall) saying they were finally able to get a dog. It would be their first dog ever.

They asked for advice and then asked what was the hardest part of having a dog. In a very short time there were dozens of replies. All saying the same thing. "The end".

I have a friend who is a veterinarian. Good guy with a calling. I saw him yesterday at a music festival and we had a chance to catch up.

He started talking about the hardest parts of his job. Hands down, the hardest part is putting pets to sleep. He knows these animals were loved and cherished. He said it was several years into his practice before he was able to do it without tears in his eyes.

And then he told me what makes it even worse. Apparently there people who take their old or ill dog to be mercifully helped to cross over. But they say "I can't handle being in there" or whatever.

If you cannot stand to be there when your beloved pet leaves this world, don't get a dog!

When it comes times, the dog is ill, old or both. They are scared. They should never be alone for that. They should never be in a strange room with strangers for their last moments.

That is NOT how you repay years of love and loyalty.
I whole heartedly agree. Over the years, it became clear to me that eventually we out live our beloved pets. One should always be aware of that and understand that a pet is a huge commitment as well as one of the greatest sources of love.

Your insistence that someone who send their pet back alone to die will adopt another dog, but those who are there and provide comfort as their pet passes will not, is just bullshit.

I have known very few people who had to put their pet down that did not get another. Very few.

And as I said, getting your pet spayed or neutered would save exponentially more animals.
you havent thought it through

A few years ago, someone started a thread (here or on Faacebook - I can't recall) saying they were finally able to get a dog. It would be their first dog ever.

They asked for advice and then asked what was the hardest part of having a dog. In a very short time there were dozens of replies. All saying the same thing. "The end".

I have a friend who is a veterinarian. Good guy with a calling. I saw him yesterday at a music festival and we had a chance to catch up.

He started talking about the hardest parts of his job. Hands down, the hardest part is putting pets to sleep. He knows these animals were loved and cherished. He said it was several years into his practice before he was able to do it without tears in his eyes.

And then he told me what makes it even worse. Apparently there people who take their old or ill dog to be mercifully helped to cross over. But they say "I can't handle being in there" or whatever.

If you cannot stand to be there when your beloved pet leaves this world, don't get a dog!

When it comes times, the dog is ill, old or both. They are scared. They should never be alone for that. They should never be in a strange room with strangers for their last moments.

That is NOT how you repay years of love and loyalty.
Yep. Toughest day of my life.

Years ago we had a small horse breeding ranch. (Paint horses) but we had an older Welsh pony that my kids rode. She was very gentle and we all loved her. Eventually she could not thrive because of kidney problems so we had to have her 'put down.' I hadn't realized that the term 'put down' was literal. We took her to the vet at the stock yards and took her to a large outbuilding. There was a stall separate from the rest of the building. We led her in that stall and the vet came in with a hypodermic needle. He said 'after I inject her, in a few seconds her head will drop then we have to put her down by pushing her over. She'll already be dead on her way down, and so it was. The other side of the building is where the renderers would come a pick up the bodies. Very stark, very real and if you don't have the guts to be there you shouldn't have any animal. Very sad day but, the old gal was in severe pain.

Forum List

Back