Rant for dog owners

If you have a dog for years, most people stop seeing it as a basic animal. There are things we do with our pets that do not happen with cattle or pigs. We talk them for walks, let them sleep on the sofa or the bad, talk to them, snuggle with them, and love them.

My grandfather raised cattle. Never once did he name one. I asked him once why he didn't. His reply was "Never name something you plan to eat".

Of course people see dogs as pets (more than pets, part of the family) and other animals as 'food.' Honestly I don't want to take your thread more off topic, but I feel like I have to respond to what you just said. What a lot of people don't realize is that the animals you eat are no different than your dog or cat, in all the ways that matter. They are all sentient, they have individual personalities, they have emotions, they love to play and enjoy life just like your dog or cat, they don't want to be harmed or abused, they have a strong will to live, etc, etc.

So the only difference between an animal our culture considers a "pet" and an animal our culture considers "food" is your perception.

Check out this little pig, and see for yourself that she is no different than the dog she's playing with. In fact I've said this tons of times but I'll say it again. Pigs are even smarter than dogs. Yet they experience the most horrible, truly diabolical treatment in factory farms... so people can eat their corpse.

Choosing to not name an animal doesn't change the reality. It's just a coping mechanism to help someone feel OK with needlessly killing and eating an animal who is just as precious as your dog or cat.

If you have a dog for years, most people stop seeing it as a basic animal. There are things we do with our pets that do not happen with cattle or pigs. We talk them for walks, let them sleep on the sofa or the bad, talk to them, snuggle with them, and love them.

My grandfather raised cattle. Never once did he name one. I asked him once why he didn't. His reply was "Never name something you plan to eat".

I'm sure they do.

And I'm sure they see animals that aren't pets as just "animals".

Humans also think humans aren't animals, which is BIZARRE.

That we name them, that we keep them as pets, is all from a HUMAN point of view, right? Not from the animal's point of view.

I'm sure they do.

That we name them, that we keep them as pets, is all from a HUMAN point of view, right? Not from the animal's point of view.
Regardless... Dogs are pack animals, and highly social. They develop bonds with their pack mates, human or otherwise. They have friendships, and rivalries, jist like people do.

I'm sure they do.

Not sure about that. Cattle will recognize a call to food, but have no emotional investment in the person feeding them. A dog is excited just to spend time with their person.

Oh we are animals, with some being more animalistic than others.

Not sure about that. Cattle will recognize a call to food, but have no emotional investment in the person feeding them. A dog is excited just to spend time with their person.

Oh we are animals, with some being more animalistic than others.

Dogs like spending time with humans because they're pack animals who enjoy spending time with other dogs. I'd imagine a dog just treats a human as another dog.

Dogs like spending time with humans because they're pack animals who enjoy spending time with other dogs. I'd imagine a dog just treats a human as another dog.

We are a pack. With humans being the alpha.

But it goes deeper. Dogs will often grieve themselves to death after an owner dies. And the level of excitement when their owner comes home from work is special.

As I said, it is an emotional connection that goes both ways.

We are a pack. With humans being the alpha.

But it goes deeper. Dogs will often grieve themselves to death after an owner dies. And the level of excitement when their owner comes home from work is special.

As I said, it is an emotional connection that goes both ways.

Sure, I get that. However at the end of the day people might find that connection too hard to go to the point of watching them die.

Sure, I get that. However at the end of the day people might find that connection too hard to go to the point of watching them die.

After seeing their beloved pet deteriorate to the point where it is necessary, taking them to the vet knowing it will be their last car ride and last vet visit, and to watch the vet tech come out and get the animal that provided years of love, and to watch them look confused was they leave you, and you know that is the last time you will see them alive, is as hard as it gets. Seeing the shot is no worse.

So, like the Jews you plan to gas

I am not worried about the people. I care what the dog feels in their last moments.

It is not my guilt. It is my general love of dogs that prompted me to write this. And a conversation with a vet.

I know how hard it is. I have bawled like a baby watching my beloved friends be helped to cross over. I mean ugly crying, with tears flowing, snot bubbling, and my chest tightening like a vise.
When I took my suffering cat in I stayed with him to the end. I KNOW he knew what was happening. I petted him and pressed my forehead against his and talked him thru it. I wanted him to know, leaving this world, that he was loved. He only lived 3 years because he had so many medical problems but his years with me he knew he was loved

A Dog is the only animal in the world whose genetics have changed to better coexist with humans.
They have literally evolved to better communicate/trust/serve and get value from humans.

Good example... Saturday my mother fell and hurt herself. (She lives downstairs in our home)
Afterwords when I went down there, Xena (our German Shepherd) went with me as always.
As soon as Xena saw my mom, she realized she was injured and began to whine a little and kept looking at me. As if implying "hey...you see that bruise! does she need help?"
For the past two days she has been very alert to every sound down there, waaay more than usual wanting to go down there and hangout. Generally when we come home from work, she never goes back down there.
No other animal in the world will do this.

youre just another self righteous prick criticizing other people that dont meet up to your standards,,,
Why are you arguing this point so much?

Yeah it's "hard" to be with a pet thru it's last hours you may have bonded with over 20 years. I cried all afternoon the day my cat died. But being there for him during the hardest part of his short life was something I will never regret.

In my mind you OWE it to these good souls. They would never abandon you. We owe it to them.

Forum List

Back