Ranked Choice Voting in Alaska

Let’s deal with real problems before wasting time on minor bookkeeping matters. If they don’t it’s just an inefficiency, not fraud.

The DNC admitted that an accurate voter database is an "existential threat" so let's start with free, fair and honest election before we worry about drawing squiggly lines hmmmmkay

that would be nice as well. The only thing I would correct is that even computer-generated have human bias since humans program them, but it removes most of it.
What sort of bias, one’s favorite mathematical construct? Any other bias should be quickly rooted out as long the generation of the program isn’t relegated to a single person or party. Arguments would only be about sound practices, not politics.

Voters in the state had approved a ballot initiative in 2020 in favor of using ranked-choice voting in their general elections. The initiative also created a nonpartisan primary which sends the top four vote-getters, regardless of political affiliation, to the general election. (The fourth candidate in June's special primary, Al Gross, withdrew shortly thereafter.)

Good news that more states are starting to move to this. It might be the one thing that can break the stranglehold of the duopoly.

Better, but not the best. What's needed are more political parties. Proportional Representation is the system of the 20th Century. AV is like 19th....

Better, but not the best. What's needed are more political parties. Proportional Representation is the system of the 20th Century. AV is like 19th....

I agree. But with a winner take all system that is about impossible. Also, the duopoly has done everything in their power to ensure that never happens. it is not an accident that we are as divided along party lines as we are. I cannot think of a single topic/issue that has not been made political in order to keep us divided.

I agree. But with a winner take all system that is about impossible. Also, the duopoly has done everything in their power to ensure that never happens. it is not an accident that we are as divided along party lines as we are. I cannot think of a single topic/issue that has not been made political in order to keep us divided.

Yeah, it's difficult if there can only be one winner. France does it by having two elections.

They were talking about the Republicans trying to fraudulently remove people from the voter database.

No...LOL they weren't

LinkedIn co-founder backs $35 million voter data project in 'existential threat' to Democratic Party

"Hoffman’s venture complicates plans for a separate data trust project being pushed by the Democratic National Committee, plans for which POLITICO first revealed last week. That effort is facing resistance from the Democratic state parties, which have prime ownership rights to the party’s voter file and are hesitant about licensing it to an outside entity.

The DNC’s top leaders have been telling people that Hoffman’s project represents an “existential threat” to the party, according to two sources with knowledge of the discussions."

D'oh!

No...LOL they weren't

LinkedIn co-founder backs $35 million voter data project in 'existential threat' to Democratic Party

"Hoffman’s venture complicates plans for a separate data trust project being pushed by the Democratic National Committee, plans for which POLITICO first revealed last week. That effort is facing resistance from the Democratic state parties, which have prime ownership rights to the party’s voter file and are hesitant about licensing it to an outside entity.

The DNC’s top leaders have been telling people that Hoffman’s project represents an “existential threat” to the party, according to two sources with knowledge of the discussions."

D'oh!
Existential threat to Democrats? Texas is you turning blue! :auiqs.jpg:

Well, what you do is use apolitical criteria for a political purpose. ZIP Codes.

For ease of math, lets say there are 5 representatives from a state. The state has 100 zip codes and 3M people. Divide the number of zip codes by the number of representatives. You end up with 20 zip codes per House seat--each representative will have 20 zip codes assigned to her or him.

Put the zip codes onto a ping pong ball and then simply have them put into 20 different hoppers based on population . The 1st district gets assigned the first ball drawn from each hopper. So they get one zip code with a lot of people from the first hopper, another zip code with fewer from the 2nd, a third zip code with fewer still, a fourth zip code with fewer and so on. The 2nd district gets the 2nd ball from each hopper...etc....

The districts are no longer contiguous and there could be anyone in the district so there are no more safe seats designed by gerrymandering.
Wouldn’t you want them representing generaly the same number of people though? You could theoretically have one rep with the 20 most populous zipcodes in the state and another with the 20 least. i would think there would have to be some amount of manipulation so that didn’t happen.

Wouldn’t you want them representing generaly the same number of people though? You could theoretically have one rep with the 20 most populous zipcodes in the state and another with the 20 least. i would think there would have to be some amount of manipulation so that didn’t happen.
No.

You put the zip codes into groups by their population. The “A” band having populated zips, the Bs having fewer, Cs fewer still…etc. District 1 gets the first ping pong ball from A, B, C etc…. District 2 gets the 2nd ping pong ball from ABC… and so on. The result is that youll have similar numbers of persons in each district

No.

You put the zip codes into groups by their population. The “A” band having populated zips, the Bs having fewer, Cs fewer still…etc. District 1 gets the first ping pong ball from A, B, C etc…. District 2 gets the 2nd ping pong ball from ABC… and so on. The result is that youll have similar numbers of persons in each district
It's an idea definitely worth exploring.

It's an idea definitely worth exploring.
You want a Congressman to represent two districts - one over 700 miles from the other in Texas?

In California, it could be over 650 miles.

There are zip codes in a medium sized state like KY which are over 350 miles apart.

In Tennessee, it is over 390 miles.

Only an idiot would recommend that plan!

You want a Congressman to represent two districts - one over 700 miles from the other in Texas?

In California, it could be over 650 miles.

There are zip codes in a medium sized state like KY which are over 350 miles apart.

In Tennessee, it is over 390 miles.

Only an idiot would recommend that plan!
Maybe you should look up the word exploring and repost.

Also, the current districting in Texas has districts that are 350+ miles across, so.

I dont think anyone, and certainly not me has said this was THE solution to the gerrymandering problem, but it's a concept, using nonpolitical criteria, for carving up states for their Congressional districting, that warrants exploring. If you have a better concept please feel free to add it in, but your schtick of popping into threads and just shitting on ideas, without providing an alternative idea is boring, and doesnt add anything to the actual conversation.

Maybe you should look up the word exploring and repost.

Also, the current districting in Texas has districts that are 350+ miles across, so.

I dont think anyone, and certainly not me has said this was THE solution to the gerrymandering problem, but it's a concept, using nonpolitical criteria, for carving up states for their Congressional districting, that warrants exploring. If you have a better concept please feel free to add it in, but your schtick of popping into threads and just shitting on ideas, without providing an alternative idea is boring, and doesnt add anything to the actual conversation.

Why should I look up exploring when I know you are a moron and this DOES NOT WORK.

Actually, there is one district in Texas that is over 550 miles across, but that is a function of extremely low population in west Texas. It is not a human construct.

One of the many topics I taught in my career in education was American Government. That's why I know more than about 95% of the poster's on this fourum about the topic. What's your experience? How is that GED working out for you?

Why should I look up exploring when I know you are a moron and this DOES NOT WORK.

Actually, there is one district in Texas that is over 550 miles across, but that is a function of extremely low population in west Texas. It is not a human construct.

One of the many topics I taught in my career in education was American Government. That's why I know more than about 95% of the poster's on this fourum about the topic. What's your experience? How is that GED working out for you?
Later. Did I mention how boring you are? Seriously come up with something new or just ignore my posts. If all you have is this Im not interested.

Forum List

Back