Rand Paul vs. Dick Cheney

Who do you agree with regarding the current crisis in Iraq?

• Rand Paul: Let the Iraqi government take care of it.

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Dick Cheney: send 20,000 troops into Iraq.

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Pheonixops

Proud Liberal
Jan 27, 2012
On the tennis courts
Who do you agree with?

SEN. RAND PAUL:
I think the same questions could be asked of those who supported the Iraq War. You know, were they right in their predictions? Were there weapons of mass destruction there? That’s what the war was sold on. Was democracy easily achievable? Was the war won in 2005, when many of these people said it was won? They didn’t really, I think, understand the civil war that would break out. And what’s going on now -- I don’t blame on President Obama. Has he really got the solution? Maybe there is no solution. But I do blame the Iraq War on the chaos that is in the Middle East. I also blame those who are for the Iraq War for emboldening Iran. These are the same people now who are petrified of what Iran may become, and I understand some of their worry.

Cheney,

a leading advocate of military action in Iraq during the presidency of George W. Bush, hit back sharply against Paul's warnings about too much U.S. military action overseas.

"If we spend our time debating what happened 11 or 12 years ago, we're going to miss the threat that is growing and that we do face. Rand Paul, with all due respect, is basically an isolationist. He doesn't believe we ought to be involved in that part of the world. I think it's absolutely essential,"

"What I would do now," he said, "is, among other things, be realistic about the nature of the threat. When we're arguing over 300 advisers when the request had been for 20,000 in order to do the job right, I'm not sure we've really addressed the problem. I would definitely be helping the resistance up in Syria, in ISIS's back yard, with training and weapons and so forth, in order to be able to do a more effective job on that end of the party."
Dick Cheney and Rand Paul clash over Iraq - The Washington Post

I agree with Rand Paul, I would like to see what everybody regardless of political persuasion thinks, but I am particularly interested in what and who conservative republicans on this forum favor.

Who do you agree with?

SEN. RAND PAUL:
I think the same questions could be asked of those who supported the Iraq War. You know, were they right in their predictions? Were there weapons of mass destruction there? That’s what the war was sold on. Was democracy easily achievable? Was the war won in 2005, when many of these people said it was won? They didn’t really, I think, understand the civil war that would break out. And what’s going on now -- I don’t blame on President Obama. Has he really got the solution? Maybe there is no solution. But I do blame the Iraq War on the chaos that is in the Middle East. I also blame those who are for the Iraq War for emboldening Iran. These are the same people now who are petrified of what Iran may become, and I understand some of their worry.

Cheney,

a leading advocate of military action in Iraq during the presidency of George W. Bush, hit back sharply against Paul's warnings about too much U.S. military action overseas.

"If we spend our time debating what happened 11 or 12 years ago, we're going to miss the threat that is growing and that we do face. Rand Paul, with all due respect, is basically an isolationist. He doesn't believe we ought to be involved in that part of the world. I think it's absolutely essential,"

"What I would do now," he said, "is, among other things, be realistic about the nature of the threat. When we're arguing over 300 advisers when the request had been for 20,000 in order to do the job right, I'm not sure we've really addressed the problem. I would definitely be helping the resistance up in Syria, in ISIS's back yard, with training and weapons and so forth, in order to be able to do a more effective job on that end of the party."

I agree with Rand Paul, I would like to see what everybody regardless of political persuasion thinks, but I am particularly interested in what and who conservative republicans on this forum favor.

Ah, the choice between a flea & a louse; neither.

I watched a news clip last night .. Paul talking about Shotgun

where was Paul when Cheney was on the rampage ? Why do people give Cheney the time of day now?
Shoot Cheney, slap Paul, and send 43 to prison... the world will be a better place.

I watched a news clip last night .. Paul talking about Shotgun

where was Paul when Cheney was on the rampage ? Why do people give Cheney the time of day now?
Shoot Cheney, slap Paul, and send 43 to prison... the world will be a better place.

Cheney was our VP, loathsome as he was, and is, no thought of 'shooting' allowed. As for Paul, the wingnut remains in the US Senate, thus, no physical harm should come to him. Slapping him would not help, he's a CAMPAIGNER.

Who do you agree with?

SEN. RAND PAUL:

Cheney,

LOL, I was basically asking who you would agree with. Do you think that we should stay out of it or do you think that we should follow cheney's lead?

Do nothing? fine... then get ready for $8.00 per gallon gasoline.

An "evil communist" (at least according to some conservatives) likes Rand Paul, Gingrich actually gives a funny reply at the end:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USLsPWDMud4]Crossfire's Van Jones Is 'Loving' This Rand Paul Guy Right Now - YouTube[/ame]

Who do you agree with?

SEN. RAND PAUL:

Cheney,

LOL, I was basically asking who you would agree with. Do you think that we should stay out of it or do you think that we should follow cheney's lead?

LOL, Cheney's leading something?

:confused:

I don't think that it will be that high, but just say it is, do you think that the possibility of $8.00 per gallon justifies sending 20k of our military over there just so we can keep the price of oil down? Do you know that China already receives approximately 50% of Iraq's oil? Do you know that China has invested billions in Iraq? How come they don't seem to be in panic mode?

Who do you agree with?

SEN. RAND PAUL:

Cheney,

How about some covert ops for a change? Just a question, I do not sanction any illegal acts.......:eusa_angel:

If we spend our time debating what happened 11 or 12 years ago, we're going to miss the threat that is growing and that we do face.

"Dude, this was like 12 years ago!"

I'm more on Paul's side. Cheney's desire here is identical to the desires of the rest of the neo-cons and neo-libs: To see the legitimate Syrian government under Bashar al-Assad overthrown by whatever means necessary. "I would definitely be helping the resistance up in Syria"--gee, I wonder who that could be? Certainly not the Syrian government, which has been fighting ISIS from the start, huh?

I really won't be surprised when reports start surfacing that ISIS is just another boogeyman created, funded, and/or trained by the U.S., just like the Taliban, just like al-Qaeda, just like all those Libyan "militias," etc.

"Isolationist" is to neconservative war hawk cranks like Cheney, what "racist" is to the progressive cranks.

The moment that say it, they lose.

Rand is right.

This. "Whaddya mean we shouldn't be continuously invading the rest of the planet? Isolationist freak!"

If we spend our time debating what happened 11 or 12 years ago, we're going to miss the threat that is growing and that we do face.

"Dude, this was like 12 years ago!"

I'm more on Paul's side. Cheney's desire here is identical to the desires of the rest of the neo-cons and neo-libs: To see the legitimate Syrian government under Bashar al-Assad overthrown by whatever means necessary. "I would definitely be helping the resistance up in Syria"--gee, I wonder who that could be? Certainly not the Syrian government, which has been fighting ISIS from the start, huh?

I really won't be surprised when reports start surfacing that ISIS is just another boogeyman created, funded, and/or trained by the U.S., just like the Taliban, just like al-Qaeda, just like all those Libyan "militias," etc.

The US supported the mujahideen. Never al Qeada, al Qaeda took power during The Monica Show, after that, a close election, settled by a lawsuit, then -0- for 7 months.

"Isolationist" is to neconservative war hawk cranks like Cheney, what "racist" is to the progressive cranks.

The moment that say it, they lose.

Rand is right.

Excellent points. This issue truly transcends party lines because there are interventionist war hawks in both parties and there are non-interventionists in both parties. In my opinion, Hillary Clinton most likely will agree with cheney's camp regarding intervention or non-intervention.

The Iraqis have a large military, they should be able to handle their own business against these 20k ISIS members:

Iraq Military Strength

I don't think that it will be that high, but just say it is, do you think that the possibility of $8.00 per gallon justifies sending 20k of our military over there just so we can keep the price of oil down? Do you know that China already receives approximately 50% of Iraq's oil? Do you know that China has invested billions in Iraq? How come they don't seem to be in panic mode?

$6 per gallon gas will cripple not only our economy but the economy of the world beyond repair. So the answer to your question is a reluctant ...yes. If the cost of oil rises too high for China you will see them step up as well. Is China in panic mode? I don't know. Do you?

Forum List

Back