Question for USMB medical experts: Why don't doctors test semen for PSA levels, why is the PSA test still a blood test?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I've been reading about the pros and cons of PSA testing for prostate cancer and from what I see, the cons outweigh the pros. I also read that semen has been successfully tested for PSA levels and there is at least some evidence it is a MORE accurate test to determine serious cancers. So if you are a doctor or otherwise medically knowledgeable, why isn't semen testing for prostate cancer an option?

I've been reading about the pros and cons of PSA testing for prostate cancer and from what I see, the cons outweigh the pros. I also read that semen has been successfully tested for PSA levels and there is at least some evidence it is a MORE accurate test to determine serious cancers. So if you are a doctor or otherwise medically knowledgeable, why isn't semen testing for prostate cancer an option?

3 years ago I was seeing a doctor who told me that PSA tests are unreliable. 2 years ago I got a different GP. Since my Father had prostate cancer the GP ordered a PSA test, which in turn showed a high level beyond normal (6.5) I went to a Urologist. Had a biopsy and there it was. Cancer. I just had an MRI guided prostate biopsy last week due to the tumor has doubled in size in 2 years.

Without that PSA test who knows where I would be later and not knowing a possible problem existed. Your call.

Sorry I can't answer your question. Seek an MD.

I remember the Urologist saying that semen has high amounts of PSA, unlike in blood. They probably take blood because of that because it would show whether or not PSA was elevated in the blood, opposed to high levels in semen already.

Forum List

Back