Question: Doesn't Water expand as it gets warmer ?

Stann

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2021
Question : Doesn't water expand as it gets warmer ? So wouldn't we be having a double whammy with the ice caps melting and the seas getting warmer ? No wonder they rose by almost 1 inch last year. With 90 % of the world living in areas less than 25 feet above sea level and storms getting stronger because of all the additional energy trapped in the atmosphere how much time do you think we really have left ? Feel free to respond, even the few climate deniers that still exist. Honest discussion is always welcome, name-calling is not. That just means you don't have a point to counter with.

climate deniers??? what's that?? double whammy?
1. if you live near the ocean, fk you--I couldn't care less
2. get an air conditioner
3. you can't stop global warming
a. the climate gets warmer naturally

None of what you posted is true. When ice melts yes i=the water expands a little, But water does nor expand as it warms up if already a liquid. Further link to a reliable unbiased source that the oceans rose an inch last year

Question : Doesn't water expand as it gets warmer ?
Normally, yes. But,
5571f413f7b1051d008b4b2c

Water is weird. It’s one of the only liquids that expands as it freezes, at 0 degrees Celsius, yet contracts as you warm it up to 4 C. (This is why water ice floats while most other types of ice sink.)

But if you warm up water beyond 4 C, the molecules violently push on one another, expanding the total volume of liquid and making it take up more space.

So wouldn't we be having a double whammy with the ice caps melting and the seas getting warmer ?
Yes, in general. No, not exactly. It's messy. Nature remains equipped to buffer these things somewhat with increased sea ice reflectivity and so forth. But yes, since we've already sat on our hands for this long, this fossil fueled disaster shall continue largely unabated for some time.. probably at least until we're all gone.. unless we suddenly get serious..

So now you are claiming nature works on a timer?
I'm sorry I thought I was talking to someone who the basic knowledge a climate. One should never assume anything on this site, especially about the knowledge of the person you're talking to. Do some reading and then get back to me. I don't have time to explain the basics to you. Good luck on your new adventure.

I'm sorry I thought I was talking to someone who the basic knowledge a climate. One should never assume anything on this site, especially about the knowledge of the person you're talking to. Do some reading and then get back to me. I don't have time to explain the basics to you. Good luck on your new adventure.
You claimed the sea rose an inch last year. Provide a link. I posted the real raise.

You claimed the sea rose an inch last year. Provide a link. I posted the real raise.
I said by almost a full inch, and that is wrap up the increasing. In a few short years at the at the continued rate it'll be over an inch. And no I'm not going to look up the information for you you can look it up for yourself.

I said by almost a full inch, and that is wrap up the increasing. In a few short years at the at the continued rate it'll be over an inch. And no I'm not going to look up the information for you you can look it up for yourself.
Wow, rechecked, couldn't find that inch figure anywhere. The biggest increase was a place in Texas where the ocean raised .24 inch between 2018 and 2019. Some stations in Alaska reported decreases which lends itself to the theory that dumping that much fresh water into the oceans from the glaciers and ice caps would eventually slow down the ocean's heat / cooling conveyor belt system and make the earth bulge more in the middle. That has many implications, possibly even slowing down the orbit of the Earth and / or affecting the axis of the planet.

Wow, rechecked, couldn't find that inch figure anywhere. The biggest increase was a place in Texas where the ocean raised .24 inch between 2018 and 2019. Some stations in Alaska reported decreases which lends itself to the theory that dumping that much fresh water into the oceans from the glaciers and ice caps would eventually slow down the ocean's heat / cooling conveyor belt system and make the earth bulge more in the middle. That has many implications, possibly even slowing down the orbit of the Earth and / or affecting the axis of the planet.
Longer years ? Planetary disasters ? Nothing good.

LOL more bedwetting by ignorant people. The earth has had a lot less ice before.
Actually the Earth has had several periods where there is no ice anywhere on the planet. Civilization as we know it has only existed during the end of the last ice age. F y i the land in Minnesota is still rebounding ( rising ) in elevation from being compressed by the glacial ice sheet that covered it. When all the ice on the planet melts this time the oceans will rise about 230 ft, that would wipe out most of the cities in the world.

Question : Doesn't water expand as it gets warmer ? So wouldn't we be having a double whammy with the ice caps melting and the seas getting warmer ? No wonder they rose by almost 1 inch last year. With 90 % of the world living in areas less than 25 feet above sea level and storms getting stronger because of all the additional energy trapped in the atmosphere how much time do you think we really have left ? Feel free to respond, even the few climate deniers that still exist. Honest discussion is always welcome, name-calling is not. That just means you don't have a point to counter with.

Water expands when it freezes...hence burst pipes during the winter.

Where in Texas?
Being a resident this interests me.

None of what you posted is true. When ice melts yes i=the water expands a little, But water does nor expand as it warms up if already a liquid. Further link to a reliable unbiased source that the oceans rose an inch last year

Actually, water expands as it freezes, and contracts when it melts.

That's why ice floats on liquid water. Ice is less dense, taking up more space, than the same mass of liquid water. Ice sinks only as far as it takes to displace the same weight of liquid water.

Water expands when it freezes...hence burst pipes during the winter.
Yes water expands between 4 and 0 degrees Fahrenheit. It also expands as it warms look it up for yourself you'll find out I'm correct.
Actually, water expands as it freezes, and contracts when it melts.

That's why ice floats on liquid water. Ice is less dense, taking up more space, than the same mass of liquid water. Ice sinks only as far as it takes to displace the same weight of liquid water.
My source :https:/sealevel.jpl.nasa.gov>activities I realize some people don't choose to believe what the government says anymore, but that's their problem. "When water is heated it expands or increases in volume ( as do all solids, liquids and gases ) . I live in Nebraska, we are reminded of this fact every summer when we have a heat wave. The pavement in the streets buckles up from the expansion. Very hard on tires and shocks.

Forum List

Back