'Atmospheric river' dumps heavy rain, snow across California leading to widespread flooding

Oh... I don't know about that. I'll watch Monty Python all day but Benny I can take for about 20 minutes.

South Park about 30 seconds ... it is possible for some things to be too funny ... I had to watch Rocky Whorer at least 8 times before I could comprehend it ...

That is true. The whole region is a desert after all.

I wouldn't go that far ... we're are talking about the tallest trees in the world ... and that takes more than just rain ... the radar station on top of Mt Hebo averaged 16 feet of rain per year ... hardly a desert ... even as far south as San Luis Obispo we found Redwood trees ...

There has been talk that the estimates for rain were too high ... what we thought was sustainable building wasn't ... or some such thing ... I've dismissed that as total bullshit ... no one made any estimates, sure as hell not the Phoenix developers ... they're STILL building regardless of the lack of water ... Republicans won't interfere with business, no matter how damaging greedy businesses are ... no regulations means only the Rich will have water ... I see the Saudis are allowed unlimited water to irrigate their hay fields in Arizona, talk about stealing elections ...

The statistics don't pan out for this idea of extra rain these past decades ... or they would have been published many many years ago ...

A warmer world is a wetter world ... that science was settled by Robert Boyle in 1662 and Jacques Charles in 1787 ...

I wouldn't go that far ... we're are talking about the tallest trees in the world ... and that takes more than just rain ... the radar station on top of Mt Hebo averaged 16 feet of rain per year ... hardly a desert ... even as far south as San Luis Obispo we found Redwood trees ...

There has been talk that the estimates for rain were too high ... what we thought was sustainable building wasn't ... or some such thing ... I've dismissed that as total bullshit ... no one made any estimates, sure as hell not the Phoenix developers ... they're STILL building regardless of the lack of water ... Republicans won't interfere with business, no matter how damaging greedy businesses are ... no regulations means only the Rich will have water ... I see the Saudis are allowed unlimited water to irrigate their hay fields in Arizona, talk about stealing elections ...

The statistics don't pan out for this idea of extra rain these past decades ... or they would have been published many many years ago ...

A warmer world is a wetter world ... that science was settled by Robert Boyle in 1662 and Jacques Charles in 1787 ...

The entire southwest from basically Lebec south in Cali is all desert. Arizona, same, new Mexico same, western Colorado same, Utah south of I-70 same Nevada same.

There are small pockets within some of those areas that are high enough that they get moisture, but they are the very small exception to the rule.

The entire southwest from basically Lebec south in Cali is all desert. Arizona, same, new Mexico same, western Colorado same, Utah south of I-70 same Nevada same.

There are small pockets within some of those areas that are high enough that they get moisture, but they are the very small exception to the rule.

In climactic terms, "the region" would include everything west of the Rocky Mountains ... caused by the rain shadow effect, and orographic lifting ... so "the region" has a wet westside and a dry eastside ... no, we don't call the wet westside a desert, it's a temperate rainforest ... where the tallest trees in the world grow (Redwoods) and the thickest trees (Sequoia) ...

Or are you saying the Desert Southwest is a desert? ... does that include Colorado, Nebraska and the Dakotas ... these places have rainfall totals similar to Lebec ...

Last edited:
In climactic terms, "the region" would include everything west of the Rocky Mountains ... caused by the rain shadow effect, and orographic lifting ... so "the region" has a wet westside and a dry eastside ... no, we don't call the wet westside a desert, it's a temperate rainforest ... where the tallest trees in the world grow (Redwoods) and the thickest trees (Sequoia) ...

Or are you saying the Desert Southwest is a desert? ... does that include Colorado, Nebraska and the Dakotas ... these places have rainfall totals similar to Lebec ...

I spelled it out fairly simply.

Yes ...

The "whole region" only includes a small section of the whole region ... clear as mud ... for the record, Lebec, CA, has a Mediterranean climate, not desert ... I'll warrant you don't know the difference ...

I spelled it out, Lebec south in Cali, most of Nevada, most of Arizona, most of New Mexico, Utah south of I-70, Colorado west of Grand Junction, with small pockets at high elevation being the exception to the rule.

Lebec is a handy demarcation findable on a map. It sits on the Grapevine, and right at the edge of the Mojave Desert. Yes, it qualifies as a Mediterranean climate thanks to its ELEVATION, remember where I mentioned that?

Didn't think so. If you want get pissy feel free, I enjoy bitch slapping arrogant people.

I spelled it out, Lebec south in Cali, most of Nevada, most of Arizona, most of New Mexico, Utah south of I-70, Colorado west of Grand Junction, with small pockets at high elevation being the exception to the rule.

Köppen says you're wrong ... Lebec is Mediterranean ... have you even checked the rain fall amounts there? ... because if that's your definition of desert, then you mean the all of Colorado, the all of Nebraska, all of the Dakotas ...

Science also considers wind direction ... for deserts, this is "down" ... why do you think this is the case for Lebec? ... I've spent nearly my whole adult life watching the weather in Lebec, average winds come from the west ... full of moisture and rain ... maybe not today, but averaged over fifty years, or 100, the results are the same ...

No rain: climate change
Rain: climate change
Whole Lotta Rain: ZOMG Atmospheric cyclone bombshell river anomaly climate change
Al and Boner will be in to investigate soon
AlfaNero.jpg

Forum List

Back