Pup is on the mend!

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
I can't walk him because at this point, I'm suddenly terrified he'll pick something up, and he can't get his vacs until we have his skin/ear infections under control.He had his puppy shots up to 5 moths, but he's almost a year now, and I don't want him sick at this point...not after spending all the effort to deal with his allergies and the secondary infection.

WHICH by the way, looks fantastic. His back still has the scabs on it but they aren't deep, and all the red is gone. I can actually brush over them gently and remove the old stuff, looks better by the moment. And I swear he's already gained weight. The ear shaking has stopped...when I was treating it, it was a LOT better, but he still had a mild case of it. Now he just seems relieved and has been sleeping almost steady for the last 24 + hours so it must have bothered him more than he let on.

Oh and steroids appaerntly make him mark territory. He's marked the Christmas tree and the area of the front door (thank goodness, he missed and hit the linoleum). I might have already shared that at the coffee shop. He gets fixed in about a month, thank goodness, I get tired of watching him lick his jewels. He hasn't started to act like an adult male yet, but he did just start lifting his leg, and I see the advent of those behaviors, so it is indeed time. He is big enough, I'm ready to see him put on a little weight and become the imposing, mellow dog I know he will be when he's over his puppy siliness.

At the vets there were two pits (one a nursing mother) and a black lab sort of dog. I was concerned he'd break loose and bowl them over (or try to...he can't bowl over myh son's red nose, at least not often, but that dog loves him) but although he did pull at the leash I was able to hold him and he didn't rear up or bark at all. This is a marked improvement, and I was greatful for the opportunity to practice his approach to new dogs. It hink by the time summer rolls around, we'll be able to take him to the beach without any worries (he tends to have no recall, and to completely overwhere any dog he sees, up to a mioe away).

Do that has been my dog week. He weight 105 lbs, but he hadn't eaten recently and he was pretty lean from fighting his infection. He looks like he's already gained 5 lbs. I'm working towards 130, I think at this height, that would be a good weight or him, so long as he's fit.

Last edited:
He's not underweight, you can't feel his hip bones on top (that's the way we always gauge whether a dog's underweight) but he's very long legged and his belly doen't hang down or stick out, he has zero fat rolls behind his elbows. You can't see his ribs but if you push you can feel them, and he doesn't have a straight underline...it goes up between his ribs and his belly.

Saints have heart, bloat, joint and bone issues....he gets lots of good goodies and I feed him 2-3 times a day, 2-3 cups a pop. Plus cottage cheese throughout the day (daily on up, depending on what's going on). He usually steals breakfast on top of what we feed.this morning he got a raw porkchop, complete with bone, I'd put it on the counter and walked away. Yesterday he got a homemade breakfast sandwich with egg and turkey bacon. But his appearance, particularly for this breed, is lean, lanky, long legged. And because of that, he is extremely athletic.

They seem to have slowed down a bit on pulling the comforter stuffing out when I'm out of the house.... Maybe there isn't any left. Back is almost all healed, still has a few scabbies but they aren't red or yucky looking anymore at all, they just look like healed scratches. He's letting me check out his sore ear (it's sore on the outside, where he scratched it and made a hot spot) without any silliness now and has all but stopped shaking his head and scratching. Yay for modern medicine, and oral flea repellant!

Forum List

Back