Punishing 'Bad' Speech.....or Not.

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Sitting here at the moment listening to an interview with Michael Myers....
...no, not the guy in the horror flic...."Halloween,"....

1. This Michael Myers:

"Michael Meyers is President and Executive Director of the New York Civil Rights Coalition (NYCRC), which he co-founded in 1986.
Michael Meyers, as a columnist for THE NEW YORK POST, has published extensively on issues of race relations, urban affairs, education, housing, police abuse, civil liberties and civil rights. His articles have also appeared in law reviews, scholarly journals, periodicals and newspapers,....."
Executive Director New York Civil Rights Coalition

Clearly, Myers has a degree of expertise and experience in civil rights matters.
Yes, he is black.

2. I list the above because of his opinion on this topic:

"The University of Oklahoma closed a fraternity linked to a video of students singing racial epithets, ordered its members to move out of the house and labeled the actions of those involved “disgraceful.”

“Effective immediately, all ties and affiliations between the university and the local SAE (Sigma Alpha Epsilon) chapter are hereby severed,” University President David Boren said on Monday.
In the 10-second video posted online on Sunday and replayed by media outlets, students on a bus chanted in unison, using offensive language referring to blacks and vowing to never admit them into the fraternity."
Fraternity members ordered off campus after racist video surfaces New York Post

3. If easily 'offended,' don't watch this vid...

4. Myers emphatically states that this fraternity should not be thrown off campus....and no student not tied the vid should be disciplined.
It's called due process.

He is correct.

5. The answer to bad speech is good speech.
Tell them what you think of what they have done.
This is college....where better to have debate????

6. "Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S.444 (1969), was a landmark United States Supreme Courtcase based on the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
The Brandenburg test (also known as the imminent lawless action test)
The three distinct elements of this test (intent, imminence, and likelihood) have distinct precedential lineages.

....The Brandenburg intent standard is more speech-protective than Hand's formulation, which contained no temporal element.

The imminence element was a departure from earlier rulings. Brandenburg did not explicitly overrule the bad tendency test, but it appears that after Brandenburg, the test is de facto overruled. The Brandenburg test effectively made the time element of the clear and present danger test more defined and more rigorous."
Brandenburg v. Ohio - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Although this is a restriction on governmental punishment....it should be applied here, too.

7. Where did the idea originate that black folks are like Fabergé eggs, and more fragile than anyone else?
Everyone of us has had insults in one form or another hurled at us.....and we shrug and move on.

I'm for free speech in America.

Or....are you of the knee-jerk Liberal response, punish anything you don't agree with?

Last edited:
Peer pressure is the fav type of punishment in a social setting with large numbers present...You missed out in the military the supreme peer pressure punishment that drove men to punish those individually at night with lights out and a sock loaded with a bar of soap....

Myers emphatically states that this fraternity should not be thrown off campus....and no student not tied the vid should be disciplined.
It's called due process.

So? What does it mean that some black guy said this? Is it supposed to mean something more than its his opinion?

Anywho...This is the free market and the free market doesnt like racist assholes.

Myers emphatically states that this fraternity should not be thrown off campus....and no student not tied the vid should be disciplined.
It's called due process.

So? What does it mean that some black guy said this? Is it supposed to mean something more than its his opinion?

Anywho...This is the free market and the free market doesnt like racist assholes.
yep. Good example of the "invisible hand" of teh market ;)

This is about the Jews and how fragile they are:

Banishing these kids from society makes people feel all warm and fuzzy, like they have "done something", but I have a feeling is all that has happened is you have taken subdued racists and morphed them into full blown racists. THEY are now the persecuted ones, in their minds, their families minds, and their friends minds.

Oops sorry thats about blacks. Its blacks fault...Heres the thoughts behind Jews and how fragile they are

Jews can't be blamed for antisemitism. If someone hates Jewish people that's their problem and they need to get over themselves.

As for Israel, they I DO think can be blamed for how the world perceives them. It's long overdue for Israeli's to start questioning their foreign policy I think.

Ask the OP how she feels about tolerance for jew hating and you'll find out really really quickly that she's full of shit for her support for "free speech"

It's called due process.

Of course not....the fact that he is head of a civil rights organization, and that he is black....

why should his opinion count more than a self-admitted Fabergé egg like you.

You poor thing....one of those bones were broken by words.

Best of luck for a successful recovery.

Banishing these kids from society makes people feel all warm and fuzzy, like they have "done something", but I have a feeling is all that has happened is you have taken subdued racists and morphed them into full blown racists. THEY are now the persecuted ones, in their minds, their families minds, and their friends minds.

Oops sorry thats about blacks. Its blacks fault...Heres the thoughts behind Jews and how fragile they are

Jews can't be blamed for antisemitism. If someone hates Jewish people that's their problem and they need to get over themselves.

As for Israel, they I DO think can be blamed for how the world perceives them. It's long overdue for Israeli's to start questioning their foreign policy I think.

Ask the OP how she feels about tolerance for jew hating and you'll find out really really quickly that she's full of shit for her support for "free speech"

1. Did you believe that I'm Jewish???

2. Did you ever find me demanding punishments for speech?

3.Does this guy look black to you?
boren.jpg

Three strikes.

You know what that means.

Go ahead and ask PC about Anti Semetic speech and how many times she's defended it. Shes a free speech warrior yanno

1. Did you believe that I'm Jewish???

2. Did you ever find me demanding punishments for speech?

3.Does this guy look black to you?
boren.jpg

Three strikes.

You know what that means.
That is the man that made a clean sweep of Okie politics when he became Gov...My aunt was his secretary........

1. This Michael Myers:

"Michael Meyers is President and Executive Director of the New York Civil Rights Coalition (NYCRC), which he co-founded in 1986.
Michael Meyers, as a columnist for THE NEW YORK POST, has published extensively on issues of race relations, urban affairs, education, housing, police abuse, civil liberties and civil rights. His articles have also appeared in law reviews, scholarly journals, periodicals and newspapers,....."

Clearly, Myers has a degree of expertise and experience in civil rights matters.
Yes, he is black.

"The University of Oklahoma closed a fraternity linked to a video of students singing racial epithets, ordered its members to move out of the house and labeled the actions of those involved “disgraceful.”

“Effective immediately, all ties and affiliations between the university and the local SAE (Sigma Alpha Epsilon) chapter are hereby severed,” University President David Boren said on Monday.
In the 10-second video posted online on Sunday and replayed by media outlets, students on a bus chanted in unison, using offensive language referring to blacks and vowing to never admit them into the fraternity."

4. Myers emphatically states that this fraternity should not be thrown off campus....and no student not tied the vid should be disciplined.
It's called due process.

He is correct.

Them them what you think of what they have done.

6. "Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S.444 (1969), was a landmark United States Supreme Courtcase based on the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
The three distinct elements of this test (intent, imminence, and likelihood) have distinct precedential lineages.

....The Brandenburg intent standard is more speech-protective than Hand's formulation, which contained no temporal element.

The imminence element was a departure from earlier rulings. Brandenburg did not explicitly overrule the bad tendency test, but it appears that after Brandenburg, the test is de facto overruled. The Brandenburg test effectively made the time element of the clear and present danger test more defined and more rigorous."

Although this is a restriction on governmental punishment....it should be applied here, too.

7. Where did the idea originate that black folks are like Fabergé eggs, and more fragile than anyone else?
Everyone of us has had insults in one form or another hurled at us.....and we shrug and move on.

Or....are you of the knee-jerk Liberal response, punish anything you don't agree with?

Hell I came to the same conclusions this guy did in the other threads about it. :) Whoda thunk, we agree on something. :)

1. This Michael Myers:

Yes, he is black.

It's called due process.

He is correct.

Hell I came to the same conclusions this guy did in the other threads about it. :) Whoda thunk, we agree on something. :)

I'd like to read it.....gimme a link.

Go ahead and ask PC about Anti Semetic speech and how many times she's defended it. Shes a free speech warrior yanno

You must know by now that I'm never shy....

...I'm willing and able to tell you off whenever I disagree.

But I never look to punish disagreement.
Under the old system I use to give reps to those I disagreed with when they were negged for an opinion.

See, if you were brighter, and more articulate, you might feel the same way.

1. This Michael Myers:

Yes, he is black.

It's called due process.

He is correct.

Took a sec to find

White college fraternity in Oklahoma shut down for overt racism Page 5 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

last post page 5 no. 150 onwards.

Posts 150, 152, 154, 167, 169, 178, etc.

But no one hires me to be on a board of directors or whatever. Am available though. :)

1. This Michael Myers:

Yes, he is black.

It's called due process.

He is correct.

Took a sec to find

White college fraternity in Oklahoma shut down for overt racism Page 5 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

I see....post # 72

1. This Michael Myers:

Yes, he is black.

It's called due process.

He is correct.

Took a sec to find

I see....post # 72

72's from last night when I only had one brief glimpse of the video on tv. 150 on is with more info and reflection.

1. This Michael Myers:

Yes, he is black.

It's called due process.

He is correct.

Took a sec to find

I see....post # 72

72's from last night when I only had one brief glimpse of the video on tv. 150 on is with more info and reflection.

I see...

So....Looks like the student body responded correctly.

PC cant talk about anti-antisemitism because shes not Jewish

But she can talk about racism because shes black...I mean not black

Forum List

Back