Prostitution is legal in Nevada. Why not make it legal everywhere?

I'm not one who really thinks prostitution should be legal. Not for prudish reasons I just happen to think that line of work is unhealthy physically and psychologically. I'm not 100% tied to that, but I think there is a downside to legalized prostitution where the state would earn some amount of revenue by people abusing themselves and others.
1. How is it unhealthy physically ? (if regulated/supervised by govt)
2. How is it unhealthy psychologically ? Thousands of women (and a few men) are selling their sex online in sex cam companies. They show no sign of unhappiness or psychological trouble whatsoever. Quite the contrary, they seem to love what they're doing and are making money with it, which they couldn't do in other ways. Looks like a good gig.
3. How is the state earning tax $$ from prostitution a bad thing ? Looks like a very GOOD thing, as money now being lost, would be gained by the govt, and work against US debt and deficit.

I don't like prostitution, but when it's legal the women are safer, if they get abused they can go to the cops without getting arrested themselves.
There are real arguments is favor of it. Morality aside you are correct that the sex workers would be safer from trafficking and violence, and we could also license and regularly test them for diseases making things safer on both sides of the transaction and for society as a whole. Wages would rise and at least some could rise above it as well.

Gonna have a hard time getting it past the religious right though.

Sex is a private choice. The fact that we ALLOW the government to regulate it to appease the feelings of the religious is troublesome
I don't agree, because where you have prostitution you also have sex slavery.

But if prostitution was legal, the police could go into brothels and make sure the women aren't being forced into it.
So you want to regulate sex between consenting adults....

That is literally no different than the government outlawing it.

We are either a free nation or we are not. The middle ground is the playground of false prophets and leftists.
Actually, I said I wanted to make it harder for women to be forced into prostitution. Were you even paying attention to what I said?
I absolutely was. You implied that the women need special treatment and government protection.

They don't. They are grown adults just like you and me. If you make poor decisions in life, like selling your ass, do you deserve extra protection?
So, you've never heard of pimps or sex trafficking or sex slavery or any of that stuff?

I don't like prostitution, but when it's legal the women are safer, if they get abused they can go to the cops without getting arrested themselves.
There are real arguments is favor of it. Morality aside you are correct that the sex workers would be safer from trafficking and violence, and we could also license and regularly test them for diseases making things safer on both sides of the transaction and for society as a whole. Wages would rise and at least some could rise above it as well.

Gonna have a hard time getting it past the religious right though.
We do not have the religious right controlling much of anything. Only questioning and slowing the Progs down a bit. And one of them falls down and becomes you, they are uplifted for permanent blame. The Prog Party after they get complete control will be the prude rulers there is as traditional families get one generation to the next cheaper. But we will live in a pure totalitarian state then under force and not under choice to what is right or wrong.

Sex is a private choice. The fact that we ALLOW the government to regulate it to appease the feelings of the religious is troublesome

Hell these leaders in government are some of the biggest sex offenders, boinking interns in the workplace, hell the current POTUS has been accused of basically finger raping a staffer.

We have had political prostitution in DC and most of the state capitals for sometime.

Well... that WOULD make it easier on Rump when he travels... I mean... after all... he ain't getting any 'nearby' ...even gold-diggers eventually end-up being repulsed.

We have had political prostitution in DC and most of the state capitals for sometime.
Republicans have been whores to Corporate America since the WWI era...

Although they're now knob-polishing Redneck White Trailer Trash, and conspiracy nutjobs, as well...

Democrats have been whores to Blacks and Hispanics since the Civil RIghts era...

Both of 'em are 'open for business'...they just cater to different clientele...

Forum List

Back