Prof fired for showing picture of Muhammad

This is absolutely retarded.

Sometimes this is not good—the culture on many college campuses seems creepily authoritarian.​
The latter was on display in this New York Times piece from over the weekend about an incident at Hamline University.​
You should read the whole thing; it’s quite good. But if you just want the relevant details:​
  • An adjunct art professor, Erika López Prater, was teaching about religious art.
  • Her course had a syllabus in which she warned students that in one class they would be examining pieces of Islamic art from the 14th century, which depicted Muhammad.
  • On the day of the class she again told students that they would be viewing and discussing the works.
  • She taught the class.
  • After the class a Muslim student was upset.
  • This student accused Prater of “Islamophobia” and complained to the administration.
  • Hamline’s administration sided with the student and told Prater not to come back to teach there again.
There are lots more details and as I said, you should read the piece because while it looks like a textbook “cancel culture” moment, there are lots of things going on.​

The article

Complete crap. Today's universities have become regression factories. No fucking thanks. Thankfully, I'm a million miles away from this nonsense.

Sometimes this is not good—the culture on many college campuses seems creepily authoritarian.​
The latter was on display in this New York Times piece from over the weekend about an incident at Hamline University.​
You should read the whole thing; it’s quite good. But if you just want the relevant details:​
  • An adjunct art professor, Erika López Prater, was teaching about religious art.
  • Her course had a syllabus in which she warned students that in one class they would be examining pieces of Islamic art from the 14th century, which depicted Muhammad.
  • On the day of the class she again told students that they would be viewing and discussing the works.
  • She taught the class.
  • This student accused Prater of “Islamophobia” and complained to the administration.
  • Hamline’s administration sided with the student and told Prater not to come back to teach there again.
There are lots more details and as I said, you should read the piece because while it looks like a textbook “cancel culture” moment, there are lots of things going on.​

The article

Why do adults have to be "warned" of content? Just give the description of the course material, and adults can make adult decisions. Snow flakes can run to their safe spaces. You can't share a proposed caricature of Mohammed, but you can provide vivid photos of a man believing to be a women having butt sex with a man. WTF?

Does an image of Mohammed?
Yes. The curriculum here is religious art. The instructor was fired for showing some religious art that offended someone due to their religious customs, thus changing the curriculum.

Do preferred pronouns impact the curriculum?

Yes. The curriculum here is religious art. The instructor was fired for showing some religious art that offended someone due to their religious customs, thus changing the curriculum.

Do preferred pronouns impact the curriculum?
You're saying you don't believe there are other examples of 14th Century artwork that could be substituted that would not be obviously and totally offensive to Muslims? Since apparently every other Religious Art professor manages to do it...and the college sided with the student...I'll say that is BS.

You're saying you don't believe there are other examples of 14th Century artwork that could be substituted that would not be obviously and totally offensive to Muslims? Since apparently every other Religious Art professor manages to do it...and the college sided with the student...I'll say that is BS.

I’m sure there is other stuff. I’m not an expert on Islamic art to say what would be the best examples of Islamic art to show.

How about we leave that up to the instructor who is an expert in that field? Not to mention that what she had in her syllabus was already approved of for her curriculum.

Do preferred pronouns impact the curriculum? Third time asking, yet you seem to keep forgetting to answer. Weird. I wonder why.

Even the Bible says in Exodus 20:4-5 "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image"
Basically talking about making people and animals as objects to be worshiped.
But the Christians ignore that verse and have pictures and statues of Jesus and other biblical personages displayed inside their churches.
grav·en im·age
noun
  1. a carved idol or representation of a god used as an object of worship

Art is not a graven image. And Muhammad is not a god. But I won't argue with you about what your religion finds offensive, but we are not a theocracy and people are allowed to offend and disrespect others.

Nope, not at all.
I just figure that you're a low IQ troll
With an infantile mentality seeking attention. ... :cuckoo:
Let me know when you think of something more substantive to say.

Clearly you’re just upset that I think your religious customs are goofy.

I'd think if the professor could prove it was vital...the college wouldn't have fired her.
It’s an art class. It’s all subjective and I’m happy to go with what she thinks is most important considering that she‘s the expert in that field.

Do preferred pronouns impact the curriculum? Fourth time asking.

Do preferred pronouns impact the curriculum? Third time asking, yet you seem to keep forgetting to answer. Weird. I wonder why.
I'd image it would be both tedious and fear inducing that a professor would have to worry about remembering to calling the long haired dude with the beard "she" or risk being fired.

That's a bit rich coming from you. .. :laugh: :laugh:
Still nothing. :itsok:

Enjoy.

1673486532951.jpeg

• She taught the class.

The article

How did they get pictures of Muhammed when cameras weren't invented when he was alive? :dunno:

PS: In case anyone can't read the OP paywall NYT link, use this:

Forum List

Back