Prof fired for showing picture of Muhammad

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
This is absolutely retarded.

Sometimes this is not good—the culture on many college campuses seems creepily authoritarian.​
The latter was on display in this New York Times piece from over the weekend about an incident at Hamline University.​
You should read the whole thing; it’s quite good. But if you just want the relevant details:​
  • An adjunct art professor, Erika López Prater, was teaching about religious art.
  • Her course had a syllabus in which she warned students that in one class they would be examining pieces of Islamic art from the 14th century, which depicted Muhammad.
  • On the day of the class she again told students that they would be viewing and discussing the works.
  • She taught the class.
  • After the class a Muslim student was upset.
  • This student accused Prater of “Islamophobia” and complained to the administration.
  • Hamline’s administration sided with the student and told Prater not to come back to teach there again.
There are lots more details and as I said, you should read the piece because while it looks like a textbook “cancel culture” moment, there are lots of things going on.​

The article

Sometimes this is not good—the culture on many college campuses seems creepily authoritarian.​
The latter was on display in this New York Times piece from over the weekend about an incident at Hamline University.​
You should read the whole thing; it’s quite good. But if you just want the relevant details:​
  • An adjunct art professor, Erika López Prater, was teaching about religious art.
  • Her course had a syllabus in which she warned students that in one class they would be examining pieces of Islamic art from the 14th century, which depicted Muhammad.
  • On the day of the class she again told students that they would be viewing and discussing the works.
  • She taught the class.
  • This student accused Prater of “Islamophobia” and complained to the administration.
  • Hamline’s administration sided with the student and told Prater not to come back to teach there again.
There are lots more details and as I said, you should read the piece because while it looks like a textbook “cancel culture” moment, there are lots of things going on.​

The article

Warned ahead of time, yet the student felt the need to attend anyway.
One can only assume to create false victimhood and unnecessary controversy.

If muslims aren't allowed to view Mohammad, how in the fuck do they even know what he looks like in order to be outraged?

• She taught the class.

The article

Disgraceful.

Terrible.

I‘d like to bring back National Draw Muhammad Day. If Muslims can’t deal with that, then that’s their problem. Your goofy customs aren’t as important as my freedom to offend your goofy customs.

Pretty sure they knew what they were doing would get them in hot water. It is no secret that is offensive to Muslims since the whole Charlie Hebdo thing happened.

Sunni Man is offended. Tough shit.

1673398283022.jpeg

I‘d like to bring back National Draw Muhammad Day. If Muslims can’t deal with that, then that’s their problem. Your goofy customs aren’t as important as my freedom to offend your goofy customs.
You should go to the local Islamic mosque and share your opinion with the muslims there.
I'm sure they would give you their undivided attention and address your point of view.

• She taught the class.

The article

Sounds to me like the student had an axe to grind. I wonder if his response would have been different if the instructor had exhibited a photo of a renaissance period piece dipicting Jesus? Probably not. More globalist attempts to remove religion from daily life?

• She taught the class.

The article

Religious fanaticism has far too much power in this country. Some liberals think that because christians are able to get away with it, it's only fair that muslims be able to get away with it, too. Fuck that.

• She taught the class.

The article

The motto used to be "or the terrorists win". Well this is a case of they won, and they didn't even have to do anything. We did it to ourselves.

Reminds me of this Joe Rogan bit.

Even the Bible says in Exodus 20:4-5 "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image"
Basically talking about making people and animals as objects to be worshiped.
But the Christians ignore that verse and have pictures and statues of Jesus and other biblical personages displayed inside their churches.
Only Catholics worship them.

Even the Bible says in Exodus 20:4-5 "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image"
Basically talking about making people and animals as objects to be worshiped.
But the Christians ignore that verse and have pictures and statues of Jesus and other biblical personages displayed inside their churches.
I'm not sure having them is an issue...but worshipping them.

That said...I can't see how a college can on one hand demand every individual abide by the stricture of using the demanded pronouns of every individual and referring to biological males as women and biological females as men ...a relatively new concept...in the name of inclusivity...then demand a Muslim student attend in a college where they defile their two millennia old stricture against images of The Prophet.

Can't have it both ways.

Forum List

Back