Probably some very stupid questions…

ThisIsMe

Gold Member
Dec 16, 2017
…but I’m gonna ask them, because that’s how I roll. These are some things that rattle around in my head, and remember “there is no such thing as a stupid question”, right? That’s what they always told me!

Ok, so, first up….

Do all photons move at the same speed? Can some photons move at different speeds or are all photons moving at the same speed? What causes them to have speed? What is their mechanism of propulsion? In other words, how do they move and what keeps them going?

edit I should note, please explain in layman’s terms…VEEERY layman’s terms. I’m just a normal person with some odd questions that I’d like to learn about but I’m not a physicist or anything like that. 😊

Last edited:
…but I’m gonna ask them, because that’s how I roll. These are some things that rattle around in my head, and remember “there is no such thing as a stupid question”, right? That’s what they always told me!

Ok, so, first up….

Do all photons move at the same speed? Can some photons move at different speeds or are all photons moving at the same speed? What causes then to have speed? What is their mechanism of propulsion? In other words, how do they move and what keeps them going?

Does this apply to your everyday life?

Does this apply to your everyday life?
No, it’s just stuff that I wonder about from time to time. I have others too, it figured I’d start here. I’ve got some doozies that may or may not be relevant to anything. But this is a discussion forum so…discuss…or…don’t?

I’m sure there are some pretty fart smellers…err…pretty smart fellers who could answer some of these 😊

No, it’s just stuff that I wonder about from time to time. I have others too, it figured I’d start here. I’ve got some doozies that may or may not be relevant to anything. But this is a discussion forum so…discuss…or…don’t?

Knock yourself out.
But when I think of photons I think of Star Trek and Photon Torpedos.

Ok, so, first up….

Do all photons move at the same speed? Can some photons move at different speeds or are all photons moving at the same speed? What causes them to have speed? What is their mechanism of propulsion? In other words, how do they move and what keeps them going?

Do all photons move at the same speed?

Yes.

I just wrote this up I hope it helps. ;)

Relativistic energy and momentum[edit]​

See also: Photon energy and Special relativity
The cone shows possible values of wave 4-vector of a photon. The "time" axis gives the angular frequency (rad⋅s−1) and the "space" axis represents the angular wavenumber (rad⋅m−1). Green and indigo represent left and right polarization
In empty space, the photon moves at c (the speed of light) and its energy and momentum are related by E = pc, where p is the magnitude of the momentum vector p. This derives from the following relativistic relation, with m = 0:[24]

�2=�2�2+�2�4 .
{\displaystyle E^{2}=p^{2}c^{2}+m^{2}c^{4}~.}

The energy and momentum of a photon depend only on its frequency (�
\nu
) or inversely, its wavelength (λ):

�=ℏ�=ℎ�=ℎ��
{\displaystyle E=\hbar \,\omega =h\nu ={\frac {\,h\,c\,}{\lambda }}}
�=ℏ� ,
{\displaystyle {\boldsymbol {p}}=\hbar {\boldsymbol {k}}~,}

where k is the wave vector, where

Since �
{\boldsymbol {p}}
points in the direction of the photon's propagation, the magnitude of its momentum is

�≡|�|=ℏ�=ℎ��=ℎ� .
{\displaystyle p\equiv \left|{\boldsymbol {p}}\right|=\hbar k={\frac {\,h\nu \,}{c}}={\frac {\,h\,}{\lambda }}~.}

Knock yourself out.
But when I think of photons I think of Star Trek and Photon Torpedos.
Ok, thanks. Like I said. Maybe they are stupid questions, but, we might learn something that we didn’t know before, even if it is useless. Some of my questions may be something someone else was thinking or perhaps something they may have never considered before…who knows.

Words are free, I’ll use them and if someone wants to respond, great, if not, no harm done 😊

Do all photons move at the same speed?

Yes.

Ok, so, how do photons move? We know that light travels, it has a speed, they say if the sun were to go out, we wouldn’t know for like 8 minutes.

When I turn on a light, I see the light, the photons trav from the light source to an object then to my eye. What causes that movement? Also, is there an acceleration time for photons or are they moving at the speed of light at the very instance they are created?

Ok, so, first up….

My understanding is that the speed of light varies, somewhat, depending on the medium through which it is passing. The official defined speed of light assumes a vacuum. Through air, it is slightly slower, and through a denser medium, such as glass, it is slightly slower still.

Look up Cherenkov radiation.

Ok, so, first up….

edit I should note, please explain in layman’s terms…VEEERY layman’s terms. I’m just a normal person with some odd questions that I’d like to learn about but I’m not a physicist or anything like that. 😊
The dark photons run faster than the white photons, and they can jump higher as well.

The brown ones though just sit there and are too lazy to move.

Ok, so, first up….

They use advanced hydro methane carbonate propulsion, linked with dilithium overlays. Light speed is easy.

Ok, so, how do photons move? We know that light travels, it has a speed, they say if the sun were to go out, we wouldn’t know for like 8 minutes.

When I turn on a light, I see the light, the photons trav from the light source to an object then to my eye. What causes that movement? Also, is there an acceleration time for photons or are they moving at the speed of light at the very instance they are created?

Ok, so, how do photons move?

Quickly!

I just wrote this up I hope it helps. ;)

Relativistic energy and momentum[edit]​

See also: Photon energy and Special relativity
The cone shows possible values of wave 4-vector of a photon. The "time" axis gives the angular frequency (rad⋅s−1) and the "space" axis represents the angular wavenumber (rad⋅m−1). Green and indigo represent left and right polarization
In empty space, the photon moves at c (the speed of light) and its energy and momentum are related by E = pc, where p is the magnitude of the momentum vector p. This derives from the following relativistic relation, with m = 0:[24]

�2=�2�2+�2�4 .
{\displaystyle E^{2}=p^{2}c^{2}+m^{2}c^{4}~.}

The energy and momentum of a photon depend only on its frequency (�
\nu
) or inversely, its wavelength (λ):

�=ℏ�=ℎ�=ℎ��
{\displaystyle E=\hbar \,\omega =h\nu ={\frac {\,h\,c\,}{\lambda }}}
�=ℏ� ,
{\displaystyle {\boldsymbol {p}}=\hbar {\boldsymbol {k}}~,}

where k is the wave vector, where

Since �
{\boldsymbol {p}}
points in the direction of the photon's propagation, the magnitude of its momentum is

�≡|�|=ℏ�=ℎ��=ℎ� .
{\displaystyle p\equiv \left|{\boldsymbol {p}}\right|=\hbar k={\frac {\,h\nu \,}{c}}={\frac {\,h\,}{\lambda }}~.}
Whoa! Whoa whoa whoa…easy there! I need layman’s terms lol. Simple language. I’m just an ordinary person looking to just learn something.

For example. When the sun (or any light source) emits light (creates photons), does it “push” the photons out, or is it just a matter of, since photons have no mass, once they are created, there is nothing to restrain them, they just have motion because massless things are always in motion?

That still doesn’t answer the question of, what puts them in motion? Is it as simple as, physics dictate that massless objects are always in motion because they have no constraints because they have no mass? Are they pushed by cmb? Dark energy?

Sorry, if my questions don’t make sense, just ignore them. I don’t know what i was thinking with this post lol. I just have questions! But I’m an ordinary person. I guess those two things don’t work together lol.

😩

Forum List

Back