Probably some very stupid questions…

So, when the photon reflects from an object, it does so at a different frequency or wavelength? So the photon is converted from one of the invisible frequencies to something on the visible spectrum depending on what it bounces off of? The next question is, if the photon bounces off of a color…say blue…is it that some property of “blue” interacts with the photons that somehow changes it to travel at a different wavelength, that our eyes perceive as blue?

So, a photon travels at a certain frequency but when it reflects off of something, it reflects at a different frequency that we perceive as color.

That’s kind of interesting and it makes me think of another question lol. Does “color” exist? Think about it. Color is merely a wavelength of energy that our eyes perceive as color, right? So…what color is an apple when it’s in a pitch black room, where there is no light to reflect off of it to create that new wavelength? Is it still red? That’s kind of like when you start to dim a light, whatever object is in reach of the light starts getting darker and changing hues even, and can start to take on a more grey color and eventually the less light present, it starts to look black. This happens because less and less photons are causing reflections off of the object.

Hmm..

Reflection doesn't not change a photon's wavelength ... the tree absorbs red and blue light, and reflects green light away ... your blue paint absorbs red and yellow, reflecting the blue ... and reflection is an instantaneous process ... that's important ...

Alternately, we can have an absorption event, and an immediate re-radiation event at the same wavelength ... but these would be different photons ... and these events require time to occur ... what's called in the trades "performing work" ... during this time interval, the energy exists as added temperature to the material ...

The tricky part is that once a photon is absorbed, the energy can be re-radiated with two different photons, each a different color from the original ... just as long as the total energy is the same ... we could shine pure blue light on an object and have it return orange light ... or better shining UV and returning a rainbow of colors ...

Newton's idea of photons being particles works for just about everything human-sized ... larger, use Einstein; smaller, use Planck ... easy ...

When a photon strikes an object some of the photon's energy is absorbed by the object. this change in state causes the photon's frequency or wavelength to change.

When you shine a flashlight on a surface the stream of photons strikes the surface. Some of the energy is absorbed by the surface. The remainder is reflected away. The color of the light you see reflected from the surface is what you call the surface's color.

Interesting. So what we see as color is really the difference between the frequencies, or, the photon loses energy and what we see is a photon in a lower state of energy?

I wonder if it’s possible to re energize a photon so that it goes from a color state back to an invisible state…. I wonder if that could potentially have applications for active camo..or a “cloaking device”…

Reflection doesn't not change a photon's wavelength ... the tree absorbs red and blue light, and reflects green light away ... your blue paint absorbs red and yellow, reflecting the blue ... and reflection is an instantaneous process ... that's important ...

Alternately, we can have an absorption event, and an immediate re-radiation event at the same wavelength ... but these would be different photons ... and these events require time to occur ... what's called in the trades "performing work" ... during this time interval, the energy exists as added temperature to the material ...

The tricky part is that once a photon is absorbed, the energy can be re-radiated with two different photons, each a different color from the original ... just as long as the total energy is the same ... we could shine pure blue light on an object and have it return orange light ... or better shining UV and returning a rainbow of colors ...

Newton's idea of photons being particles works for just about everything human-sized ... larger, use Einstein; smaller, use Planck ... easy ...

So, the color of an object is really a process of light being absorbed and whatever object the light is hitting “traps” some of that light and only allows other light to be released, that release of photons determines its color?

Here’s another silly question…is it possible to manipulate an object in some way (other than just painting it or changing its color) where you could cause it to reflect a different color light than what it really is?

"Invisible state"

Doesn't exist. We are just limited in the colors we can perceive. A photon that seems "invisible" to our eyes may be visible to another animal.

Wouldn’t a photon in its natural state have to be invisible? If it weren’t, then when light is present, whoever could see photons wouldn’t be able to see anything at all, since photons are all around us and everywhere, as abundant as even the air around us, no?

is it possible to manipulate an object in some way (other than just painting it or changing its color) where you could cause it to reflect a different color light than what it really is?
Heat a piece of steel. Watch it turn orange. Then white.

Sometimes the color we perceive is photons radiating from the object, not just reflecting off of it.

Don't worry. It doesn't make any sense to anyone.
German Irrational Science Led to German Irrational Politics

The "quantum leap" doesn't make sense, either. Displacement without motion is impossible. Therefore, there must be a fourth spatial dimension into which it moves and comes back placed differently in the three dimensions physicists are stuck in.

This is common sense. If I fly from New York to Los Angeles, I never touch ground in the flyover country in between the two cities. That is because I've gone off the linear plane into the third dimension of height.

And then there's the way that our eyes perceive color.

There is a continuous spectrum across the range of frequencies covered by visible light, tying the color that we see, to the frequency of the light.

But our eyes have only three kinds of color sensors, each sensitive primarily to what we consider to be the additive primary colors. As a result, our eyes can be made to “see” any color, that would be generated by any frequency, by feeding us a mix of red, green, and blue. If you take a close enough look at nearly any kind of electronic color display, you will see that the image consists only of red, green, and blue elements.

View attachment 845024
Is That Why the Green Party Wants to Replace White in the Red, White, and Blue?

Interesting. So what we see as color is really the difference between the frequencies, or, the photon loses energy and what we see is a photon in a lower state of energy?

I wonder if it’s possible to re energize a photon so that it goes from a color state back to an invisible state…. I wonder if that could potentially have applications for active camo..or a “cloaking device”…
Cross Between a Geiger Counter and a GPS

There should be an extra step in the scientific method: "How can we use this?" For example, since the neutrino can go through our whole planet without hitting anything, what it does hit could map the planet all the way to the core, revealing the immense resources that the Zero-Growth Gurus preach don't exist.

German Irrational Science Led to German Irrational Politics

The "quantum leap" doesn't make sense, either. Displacement without motion is impossible. Therefore, there must be a fourth spatial dimension into which it moves and comes back placed differently in the three dimensions physicists are stuck in.

This is common sense. If I fly from New York to Los Angeles, I never touch ground in the flyover country in between the two cities. That is because I've gone off the linear plane into the third dimension of height.
But then you are basically saying it moves instantaneously through that 4th dimension of space. So the movement through that space cannot be described. So adding the useless layer of the 4th dimension is not necessary and explains nothing, in this case.

Already working on it.

So, the color of an object is really a process of light being absorbed and whatever object the light is hitting “traps” some of that light and only allows other light to be released, that release of photons determines its color?

When light hits an object, some of the light is absorbed, and some of it is reflected. An object that reflects/absorbs light uniformly, regardless of wavelength, would appear white. An object that reflects mostly red light, and absorbs other colors, would appear red. As far as our eyes are concerned, with only three colors, a red object absorbs much more green and blue light, and reflects more red.

An object that reflects/absorbs light uniformly, regardless of wavelength, would appear white.
It would appear as whatever color light is reflected off of it.

Mirrors dont appear white.

You are more talking about an object that EMITS its own light somewhat uniformly. Like white hot metal, or the Sun.

Heat a piece of steel. Watch it turn orange. Then white.
Sometimes the color we perceive is photons radiating from the object, not just reflecting off of it.

And that gets into a whole other area. As an object heats up, it gives off light, infrared at lower temperatures, them up through red (lowest visible frequency), and on to high frequencies as it gets hotter. Paradoxically, we tend to perceive colors toward the green/blue/violet end of the spectrum as “cool” colors, and colors down near the red/orang/yellow end as “hot” hot colors, but the relationship between temperature and radiated light is opposite of that perception.

When you hear of “color temperature”, usually expressed in Kelvin, that is based on the relationship between the temperature of an object, and the color of the light that it gives off.

Nope. All photons are in their natural states. All photons have a defined energy at the moment they are created. Photons cannot have "zero energy".
No, but I meant, in the state in which we experience them, they are invisible until they interact with an object, that interaction allows us to see the wavelength that imparts data to us, like color, texture etc.

Already working on it.

Yeah but this is just using cameras and led panels to project an image to make something appear invisible. I’m talking about finding a way to manipulate the photon reflection off an object so it doesn’t reflect a color at all.

Or, some kind of material that doesn’t absorb photons. We kind of already have something like this with vanta black. It basically absorbs all light and reflects very little if any at all. It’s kind of bizarre looking stuff

No, but I meant, in the state in which we experience them, they are invisible until they interact with an object, that interaction allows us to see the wavelength that imparts data to us, like color, texture etc.
Well, that's the wrong question. There always "invisisble". When you "see" them, you are experiencing a biochemical reaction in your brainstarted by them impacting your rods and cones in your retina

Yeah but this is just using cameras and led panels to project an image to make something appear invisible. I’m talking about finding a way to manipulate the photon reflection off an object so it doesn’t reflect a color at all.

Or, some kind of material that doesn’t absorb photons. We kind of already have something like this with vanta black. It basically absorbs all light and reflects very little if any at all. It’s kind of bizarre looking stuff
The B1B and what we call "stealth technology"

Absorbs radar (a type of photon) and if you've ever seen it head on in flight, reflects a minimal image.

Similar technology.

Forum List

Back