Pres. Biden wants $15/hr min wage; Thanks but NOW its not enough

Name calling isn’t necessary. Its not that I/we dont wanna work we just want a living wage. And “commies” really? Im definitely not a communist. America can and should do better

America is doing fine. It's you that needs to do better.

You don't earn more money by wanting it, you earn more money by making your employment more valuable. You should do some research, find a career that's paying well and in demand, and then get training for it.

That's what I did when I got sick of working lower paying jobs. I became a tractor-trailer operator and even in an economy like this, we are still in strong demand. Training for such a career is reasonable as you only need a month or two of schooling and experience. Get your CDL, and you will be in demand for the rest of your life. After you get some experience, you can make pretty good money. If you don't want to do that, some companies offer free training and licensing if you sign a one or two year contract with them.

Been reading that President Biden will make min wage $15/hour. Thanks Mr. President but that was enough in 2010. Not 2020. It needs to be $20/minimum. 40 hours/week after taxes thats like $2300 a month.

A 1 bedroom apt in my city is like $1200/month
Student loan payment $300
Power/cable/phone/water.....another $400
Car $200
(Already $2100 gone)

I could go on but as you can see it rapidly is gone and we havent even gotten to healthcare, food, clothing, recreation

Mr President.....$20 an hour is the minimum
Heck yeah! I can't wait for them to go to $20 per hour minimum. Then those guys making $20/hr are going to want $40/hr, and the guys making $30/hr are going to want $60/hr.

The economy will be soaring under that plan.

in california a 1 bedroom in a so-so neighborhood goes for around 14-16 hundred a month...

We had a family doing about five years ago, and my cousin from California flew in. She has an in-law suite in her house. It's one bedroom, bathroom and kitchenette. She told me she was getting $1,200 a month for that, and had many people applying to get it.

Name calling isn’t necessary. Its not that I/we dont wanna work we just want a living wage. And “commies” really? Im definitely not a communist. America can and should do better

You don't earn more money by wanting it, you earn more money by making your employment more valuable. You should do some research, find a career that's paying well and in demand, and then get training for it.

That's what I did when I got sick of working lower paying jobs. I became a tractor-trailer operator and even in an economy like this, we are still in strong demand. Training for such a career is reasonable as you only need a month or two of schooling and experience. Get your CDL, and you will be in demand for the rest of your life. After you get some experience, you can make pretty good money. If you don't want to do that, some companies offer free training and licensing if you sign a one or two year contract with them.

Yep.
It's not difficult to make yourself in demand.

Been reading that President Biden will make min wage $15/hour. Thanks Mr. President but that was enough in 2010. Not 2020. It needs to be $20/minimum. 40 hours/week after taxes thats like $2300 a month.

Car $200
(Already $2100 gone)

I could go on but as you can see it rapidly is gone and we havent even gotten to healthcare, food, clothing, recreation

Minimum wage need to be relative to the local economy but until then, you need to find and work another job or work two jobs
If minimum wage jobs can be easily automated, they should. It is what supply side economics should be about.
You do realize, don't you, that every job automated is one less available job for a worker.

To bad the factory that makes the machines that automated that task is probably located is Asia. But there will be maintenance jobs to keep the machines working.
Of course there will be, just like there are a few jobs maintaining the self checkout kiosks in grocery stores, and those can be good jobs, but there are fewer of them than what they replaced. The market has to have time to adjust, and if the MW rises slowly enough, new, even better jobs can become available. Take it up to far too fast and you change too many from producers to consumers. Think of it this way, there's a reason why we don't just set the MW at $100/hr next week. I think everyone would understand why, and if that's true then you have to realize that you have to be careful when monkeying with the MW.
The increases now are only due to the nearly decade long lag in adjusting for inflation. It is being indexed to inflation to help better automatically stabilize our economy.

If the rent keeps going up minimum wages need to go up since companies are still making huge profits
Most jobs are not in large, established, very profitable companies. Most of them are in small companies that run on very small profit margins. Thus, pretending companies are massive money pits that can easily absorb a doubling of their labor cost is foolish. Jack the MW to far too fast and there WILL be layoffs and there WILL be price increases.
Business that can only make it on cheap labor needs to fail anyway.
No, because those businesses provide low cost goods and services that the poor can afford. Why do you think Wal-Mart is so popular? McDonald's? The Dollar Store? Double their labor cost and you cut off a lot of poor people from being able to access things they can access now.
There is already a solution for that using existing legal and physical infrastructure in our at-will employment States.

If a person cannot afford the rent and bills they have working a full time minimum wage job in the place which they live.. that person either needs to find a better job, or move to a cheaper place.
If a minimum wage job can be easily automated, we don't need it anyway. Since higher paid labor will be generating more federal income tax revenue anyway, unemployment compensation can easily automatically stabilize our economy while solving simple poverty in the process.
You're talking about welfare again. UC is temporary and only for those laid off from their jobs, not permanent for those who refuse to work an available job. You should know that by now, I've told you often enough.
Unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed in an at-will employment State. Not our fault employers won't meet our wage requirements in an at-will employment State.
Just stop. You've been slapped down on that one so many times you're looking backwards.
There is no law that says an employer has to hire me at my asking rate.

Car $200
(Already $2100 gone)

Minimum wage need to be relative to the local economy but until then, you need to find and work another job or work two jobs
If minimum wage jobs can be easily automated, they should. It is what supply side economics should be about.
You do realize, don't you, that every job automated is one less available job for a worker.

To bad the factory that makes the machines that automated that task is probably located is Asia. But there will be maintenance jobs to keep the machines working.
We need skilled labor in our First World economy not minimum wage labor. A tariff on firms leaving merely for cheaper labor can help labor in our first world economy. Right wingers should not be socially allowed to compete for any "race to the bottom" merely for their private bottom line.
Then be prepared to pay premium prices for everything. Way to go, cut the poor off from access to goods and services.
Not at all. Faithful execution of our own laws is all that is required.

Car $200
(Already $2100 gone)

We need skilled labor in our First World economy not minimum wage labor. A tariff on firms leaving merely for cheaper labor can help labor in our first world economy. Right wingers should not be socially allowed to compete for any "race to the bottom" merely for their private bottom line.

Kind of like shutting the barn after the horses have left. Both parties were in favor of the "free trade" zones.
No one is making them leave for cheap labor.

Yep.
Is that why we have so many homeless?

Car $200
(Already $2100 gone)

Of course there will be, just like there are a few jobs maintaining the self checkout kiosks in grocery stores, and those can be good jobs, but there are fewer of them than what they replaced. The market has to have time to adjust, and if the MW rises slowly enough, new, even better jobs can become available. Take it up to far too fast and you change too many from producers to consumers. Think of it this way, there's a reason why we don't just set the MW at $100/hr next week. I think everyone would understand why, and if that's true then you have to realize that you have to be careful when monkeying with the MW.
The increases now are only due to the nearly decade long lag in adjusting for inflation. It is being indexed to inflation to help better automatically stabilize our economy.
That doesn't change the reality that raising it too far too fast DE-stabilizes the economy. You can't avoid that, no matter how much you want to believe it.

If the rent keeps going up minimum wages need to go up since companies are still making huge profits
Most jobs are not in large, established, very profitable companies. Most of them are in small companies that run on very small profit margins. Thus, pretending companies are massive money pits that can easily absorb a doubling of their labor cost is foolish. Jack the MW to far too fast and there WILL be layoffs and there WILL be price increases.
Business that can only make it on cheap labor needs to fail anyway.
No, because those businesses provide low cost goods and services that the poor can afford. Why do you think Wal-Mart is so popular? McDonald's? The Dollar Store? Double their labor cost and you cut off a lot of poor people from being able to access things they can access now.
There is already a solution for that using existing legal and physical infrastructure in our at-will employment States.
IOW, welfare. You keep coming back to thinking we can afford to give everyone a guaranteed universal income of $15/hr with no means testing. We can't.

If a person cannot afford the rent and bills they have working a full time minimum wage job in the place which they live.. that person either needs to find a better job, or move to a cheaper place.
If a minimum wage job can be easily automated, we don't need it anyway. Since higher paid labor will be generating more federal income tax revenue anyway, unemployment compensation can easily automatically stabilize our economy while solving simple poverty in the process.
You're talking about welfare again. UC is temporary and only for those laid off from their jobs, not permanent for those who refuse to work an available job. You should know that by now, I've told you often enough.
Unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed in an at-will employment State. Not our fault employers won't meet our wage requirements in an at-will employment State.
Just stop. You've been slapped down on that one so many times you're looking backwards.
There is no law that says an employer has to hire me at my asking rate.
Nope, and no law that says you have to be paid if you refuse to work an available job.

Car $200
(Already $2100 gone)

Then be prepared to pay premium prices for everything. Way to go, cut the poor off from access to goods and services.
Not at all. Faithful execution of our own laws is all that is required.
Which law says the poor have to be able to afford premium prices?

The key is no plan! Heck kids jump into college and major in worthless degrees then whin about $15.00/ hr. For Gods sake what did they expect, a sheepskin and financial security? We hired a history major at the bottom of the audit department, spent a year learning the rudiments of accounting, went to night school, graduated with a second degree, accounting, left to work with a CPA firm, passed the CPA exam, now she’s our representative at the firm.

Car $200
(Already $2100 gone)

If I could suggest a few things? Get a job that pays more than minimum wage! Get a place with roommates. Cancel your cable. Cancel your cell phone. Get a beater car that looks like hell but runs. That's how I paid my way through college without taking out loans. You can do it...you just don't WANT to!

Yep.
Is that why we have so many homeless?

Because the homeless are drunk or drug addled pieces of shit.
Any more questions?

The key is no plan! Heck kids jump into college and major in worthless degrees then whin about $15.00/ hr. For Gods sake what did they expect, a sheepskin and financial security? We hired a history major at the bottom of the audit department, spent a year learning the rudiments of accounting, went to night school, graduated with a second degree, accounting, left to work with a CPA firm, passed the CPA exam, now she’s our representative at the firm.

That is a problem so it seems. When my niece was near graduating high school, she had no idea what she wanted to go to college for. She finally decided she wanted to be a marine biologist. I told her to look in the newspaper and tell me how many ads she could find for a marine biologist.

This is why I think kids need to get a job for a few years to figure things out. After you work for a while and learn things, you have a better idea of not only what you might want to do for a career, but how the world actually works. In the meantime, stay at home with your parents and save money to attend college but only when you're ready for it.

Instead of trying to pass policy of free college, maybe pass a policy that you have to be 21 or older to attend college. That would solve way more problem than putting the country more in debt to educate clueless kids who have no idea what direction they need to go in.

Forum List

Back