Power the U.S. With Solar Panels!

We shouldn't build like commies, no containment structure and graphite moderator is
really world class stupid.

We also shouldn't build along the ocean with our emergency generators on the ground floor.

So how many much safer modern reactors should we build to save the world in the next 30 years?

Would 300 do it?

We don't need nuclear reactors at all. And until you watch the documentary, "Waste: A Nuclear Nightmare," the best you are going to manage to do is talk out of your ass. Some byproducts of nuclear power will remain dangerous for longer than humans have existed. I also read somewhere that the "elephant's foot" at Chernobyl will remain dangerous for the next 4.5 billion years.

It's more than infrastructure. It's the nature of the technology. By themselves solar and wind can never base load the grid because they are intermittent generating technologies.

We don't even need wind power. Solar panels can do it all. Because every day the sun shines. Somewhere. It's like clockwork. And even if it is cloudy, solar panels will still produce some electricity.

We don't need nuclear reactors at all. And until you watch the documentary, "Waste: A Nuclear Nightmare," the best you are going to manage to do is talk out of your ass. Some byproducts of nuclear power will remain dangerous for longer than humans have existed. I also read somewhere that the "elephant's foot" at Chernobyl will remain dangerous for the next 4.5 billion years.

Some byproducts of nuclear power will remain dangerous for longer than humans have existed.

Yup. You probably shouldn't eat them.
But we're all dead in 30 years, so why do long-lived isotopes matter?

I also read somewhere that the "elephant's foot" at Chernobyl will remain dangerous for the next 4.5 billion years.

Sounds like you're reading some seriously stupid stuff.

As an engineer I love electric vehicle technology However, I have been troubled by the fact that the electrical energy to keep the batteries charged has to come from the grid, and that means more power generation and a huge increase in the distribution infrastructure. Whether generated from coal, gas, oil, wind or sun, installed generation capacity is limited.
IF ELECTRIC CARS DO NOT USE GASOLINE, THEY WILL NOT BE PAYING A GASOLINE TAX ON EVERY GALLON SOLD FOR AUTOMOBILES, WHICH WAS ENACTED TO MAINTAIN OUR ROADS AND BRIDGES. THEY WILL USE THE ROADS, BUT WILL NOT PAY FOR THEIR MAINTENANCE!
In case you were thinking of buying hybrid or an electric car...
Ever since the advent of electric cars, the REAL cost per mile of those things has never been discussed. All you ever heard was the mpg in terms of gasoline, with nary a mention of the cost of electricity to run it.
Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power things, yet they're being shoved down our throats. Glad somebody finally put engineering and math to paper.
If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, you will face certain realities. For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. The average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On a small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.
This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles. Our residential infrastructure cannot bear the load. So, as our genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy these things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have to renovate our entire delivery system! This later "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this dead end road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS...!' and a shrug.
If you want to argue with a green person over cars that are eco-friendly, just read the following. Note: If you ARE a green person, read it anyway. It's enlightening.
Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine." Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.
It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.
According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery. The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned, so I looked up what I pay for electricity.
I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery. $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 Mpg = $0.10 per mile.
The gasoline powered car costs about $25,000 while the Volt costs $46,000 plus. So the Canadian Government wants loyal Canadians not to do the math, but simply pay twice as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive across the country.
WAKE UP NORTH AMERICA!!!!!!!
UPDATE to those critical of the post:

I simply shared something written by someone else because it's food for thought. Arithmetic inaccuracies or not, there is great cause for concern and investigation into the long term effects of decisions re EVs that are being made for us, regarding our energy and our means of transport. It seems many are interested in this. My FB posts usually get either zero reactions, or at best, a mere handful of responses. This one triggered over 1 thousand responses! PS if a war action means an attack on electric grids, ALL of us will be grounded. Stuck in one place with no food. There is some more "food for thought." never mind the $ of kilowats....

All crap. Solar panels are a PROVEN technology. Electric cars are a PROVEN technology. Next, if you go solar, you don't have to worry about what things like coal fired power plants do. But even then, being in the business to make money, I'm sure that coal fired power plants use every bit of the heat they generate as possible. Which would make them fairly efficient at what they do. But lets look at the potential power of the gasoline you put int your car. Only 12 to 30% of it is turned into usable energy. But electric motors convert 88 to 96% of the electricity put into them into usable energy.

All crap. Solar panels are a PROVEN technology. Electric cars are a PROVEN technology.
sure, it's just a matter of $$$, $0.10 or $0.74 a mile......
Next, if you go solar, you don't have to worry about what things like coal fired power plants do.
We don't have the infrastructure to accommodate it, so we either rewire ALL of America's POCO lines & substations, or it's nukes~R~us

~S~

How much will it cost when we destroy the world with human caused global warming. Also, I have mentioned here and there how much more cheaply workers in China can make things than we can here in the U.S. But I think that part of the reason they can do so as cheaply is that the government houses them. To whatever degree, feeds and cloths them. As well as educate them, etc. With that much of their living expenses being taken care of, it's no wonder that they can make things cheaper than us. So as far as solar panels here in the U.S. goes, it would basically cost as much as the government wanted to pay for them. If they depend on private capitalist industry to do the job, it will cost up the ass. And probably then some.
Don't panic. This young generation of Marxists, who call themselves progressives, will destroy this country long before any hypothetical global warming possibly could.

We don't even need wind power. Solar panels can do it all. Because every day the sun shines. Somewhere. It's like clockwork. And even if it is cloudy, solar panels will still produce some electricity.
What will you do at night?

sure, it's just a matter of $$$, $0.10 or $0.74 a mile......

We don't have the infrastructure to accommodate it, so we either rewire ALL of America's POCO lines & substations, or it's nukes~R~us

~S~

Maybe one of these days I'll look into what the electricity costs to get you the same distance as a gallon of gas. I just don't think I'll take your word for it. Next, things as far as wiring may have to change a tiny bit. But it isn't that big of a deal. But those who make fortunes off the status quo energy production will no doubt tell you otherwise. They sure as hell have done a great job in that regard when it comes to denying human caused global warming.

Don't panic. This young generation of Marxists, who call themselves progressives, will destroy this country long before any hypothetical global warming possibly could.

Marxism isn't exponential. Human caused global warming is.

The "waste" problem becomes trivial if ignorant ecowarriors and gubmint would stop meddling over it.

The science in greatly reducing the waste is well known with nations like France having been doing it for several decades.

Not on solar power you won’t.

Depending on how many solar panels you have on your own property, you could probably do it. With other solar panels elsewhere, there is no doubt of it. I will show you a picture of the total area of solar panels it would take to power the U.S. Both day and night. It is an area 140 miles square. Elon Musk thinks it could be done with a total area of solar panels 100 miles square. I will include another picture with an area shown on the U.S. That area in solar panels would be enough to power the WORLD!

Solar to power the U.S..png

solar panels to power the world 2.jpg

How is human caused global warming exponential?

Mainly, because the warmer it gets, the more methane will be released. And methane is 86 times more potent of a greenhouse gas than CO2.

The "waste" problem becomes trivial if ignorant ecowarriors and gubmint would stop meddling over it.

The science in greatly reducing the waste is well known with nations like France having been doing it for several decades.

Did you watch the documentary? I'm sure you could find it free to watch somewhere. If you haven't seen it, then your words are coming straight out of your ass. And they smell mighty bad.

When it comes to the situation the Earth is now in, there was never a "last time." Do you understand? We are living in a time that is unique in the entire history of the Earth.

When it comes to the situation the Earth is now in, there was never a "last time."

The Earth was never this temp before? Never had methane released at this temperature? Ever?

Do you understand?

No. Please explain it.

Forum List

Back