Potential realignment for the SEC.

With 16 teams are you guaranteed to play everyone every two years? You play your own division that is seven games. There are eight teams in the other. So four teams picked that are mandatory in the other division no matter record would be eleven games and every team would meet every two year period. Plus the cupcake games. That would be thirteen games minimum. Plus the playoffs.

I admit it hasn't worked well.

With 16 teams are you guaranteed to play everyone every two years? You play your own division that is seven games. There are eight teams in the other. So four teams picked that are mandatory in the other division no matter record would be eleven games and every team would meet every two year period. Plus the cupcake games. That would be thirteen games minimum. Plus the playoffs.
The current SEC does not play everyone every two years. For example, Auburn played Kentucky last year and will not play again through 2025.

Hey, those schools came looking to join us.
I'm not BLAMING anyone. I am just saying the name doesn't fit. I know WHY Missouri joined an organization where they were a geographic misfit. I just think they were a better fit in the old Big 8...even the Big 12. It's been what 10 years now? Still doesn't fit. We should be playing Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa....not...Vanderbilt and Florida...the fech?

Hey, those schools came looking to join us.
I remember the Big East in Basketball decades ago. Powerful and competitive with great coaches who had personalities. Issues with Football in the Big East agreement. Does the SEC teams have the same Basketball relationship as Football?

I'm not BLAMING anyone. I am just saying the name doesn't fit. I know WHY Missouri joined an organization where they were a geographic misfit. I just think they were a better fit in the old Big 8...even the Big 12. It's been what 10 years now? Still doesn't fit. We should be playing Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa....not...Vanderbilt and Florida...the fech?

Partly it is a financial decision. Teams in the SEC share the revenues generated by the teams in the conference. That means big bucks for even the also-rans. But Missouri did play for the conference championship in 2014. Unfortunately they had to play Alabama, and got spanked.

I remember the Big East in Basketball decades ago. Powerful and competitive with great coaches who had personalities. Issues with Football in the Big East agreement. Does the SEC teams have the same Basketball relationship as Football?

Nothing is as big as SEC football. But basketball has had success.

Two schools have approached the SEC about possibly joining the conference. Texas and Oklahoma have both reached out to explore the potential move. While it would make it harder for them to make the college football playoffs, there is a serious financial incentive to do so.

It was make the SEC a super conference, for sure.
Texas should have done this 10 years when Texas A&M beat them to it

Texas should have done this 10 years when Texas A&M beat them to it
Texas probably would have been better over the last few years if they had.

Florida State flirted with the idea of joining the SEC some years ago. Bowden was smart to talk them out of it.

Forum List

Back