Post your Pantry Raid recipes

I don't really do the pantry raid recipe thing. Because where I live is a hurricane magnet, we stay pretty well stocked year round. If I do anything during our delightful outbreak lock down, it'll be making a pot of chili. I have only one bag of the last batch left in the freezer...

Everyobody's gotta be a comedian...….:slap:

But tonight I went cheap & easy...…...had a family size RiceARoni and added some sliced kielbasa.

Then also made a dump fruit crisp for dessert.

Original recipe called for cherry pie filling that would have sugar & thickening already in it. Mine are water only, so I made adjustments and added blueberries too.

Here's the original …. Easy Fruit Crisp "Dump" Dessert

my version......

Pint of blueberries
pint of pineapple chunks, cut small
quart of pie cherries
1/2 C sugar
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 C. butter
1 T cornstarch

Drain all canned fruit and reserve liquid. Mix fruit in 13x9 with sugar. Add cornstarch to drained fruit juice to dissolve, pour over fruit. In mixing bowl combine cake mix and butter. Sprinkle over the top and bake 350 till golden brown. Can be served with whip cream or ice cream. And is pretty tasty all on it's own.

2lbs ground beef, brown and drain
2lbs steak, cubed, brown and drain (stew meat works, may need to cut it smaller)

Put meat in large pot

Add:

1 cup chili powder
1 ½ tb smoke paprika
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tb ancho chili powder
2 tb oregano
1 ½ tb salt
5 or 6 good shakes of garlic powder
1 tb or so of granulated sugar
1 - 28oz can of Ro*Tel diced tomatoes and green chiles
2 - 12oz bottles of brown ale
3 or 4 shots of tequila

Stir, cover, and simmer 30 to 40 minutes

Taste. You may need to add more salt… or garlic powder… or something…

Add 2 - 15oz cans of rinsed Ranch Style Brand Texas Beans.

Simmer 30 minutes.

Eat. Top with chopped onions & shredded cheese if you want.

The chili freezes very well. It tastes better the day after making it.
When I have some in the cupboard, I add a can of Hatch diced green chiles.
If you don’t want to use the beer and tequila, the original recipe used water.

What are you making during quarantine from the shelf stable ingredients in your pantry?

I'm going to try this...

My go-to off the shelf "man" meal is Spam and eggs with crumbled bread, cheddar cheese, onions, and chives. However, because my wife will be working from home for the foreseeable, we cheated tonight and bought dinner ingredients from the grocery store. I ended up cooking shrimp jambalaya with lots of Old Bay and cayenne.

Just last nite I fixed the ex-wife and I Sawmill Gravy with Biscuits... During my prep I thought to myself what a fine meal and cheap also... I would share my recipe, but I would have to dispatch anyone who reads and retains the secret ingredients...

1585270052790.png

BACON????????? Must be a secret ingredient that makes it Sawmill vs Sausage??

I don't use bacon in my gravy except if the sausage is on the lean side then I will throw in some bacon grease to cook with the flour and the secret ingrediant... I like to cook my sausage to where it is almost crispy...
I think the 'Sawmill' name is a regional thing... Several other monikers for Breakfast Gravy... Damn fine eatin' though...

BACON????????? Must be a secret ingredient that makes it Sawmill vs Sausage??

I don't use bacon in my gravy except if the sausage is on the lean side then I will throw in some bacon grease to cook with the flour and the secret ingrediant... I like to cook my sausage to where it is almost crispy...
I think the 'Sawmill' name is a regional thing... Several other monikers for Breakfast Gravy... Damn fine eatin' though...

Now see...….you told me to look it up and I did. The first recipe I seen was Paula Dean that the first ingredient said bacon.

But I do like you do, no bacon really, but have used saved grease when needed. Then add some salt & pepper & maybe an extra dash of sage or poultry seasoning (depending on how well the sausage is seasoned) and even a bit of garlic powder.

Biscuits & gravy, that's some stick to your ribs goodness.

Now you got me thinking about that and probably a good thing I don't have any sausage right now. After eating the Rice a Roni tonight I have to be good for a couple of days.

I have a big bag of pinto beans and I was trying to figure out how to make them somewhat tasty if it ever came down to it. So I started looking around my stash...

I have a can of bushes bold & spicy beans that are made with pintos...I could add them & 2 or 3 cans of hormel chili.

Then add a little ketchup, onion powder, celery salt, black pepper, and chili powder...I could make it into a kind of a chili...it would be an 80% bean chili...but it would still taste OK (fair).

Lets hope it doesn't come to that!

Quick and easy, Can of Jambalaya rice, but instead of that spicey sausage try adding taco flavored ground turkey meat in those frozen 1lb logs.
Still like spicey dirty rice but not as severely spicey.
You can make burritos with the leftovers.

Actually there is a dollar tree mac n cheese where the cheese powder pack makes the best potato augraten sauce when mixed with butter and soy milk. However, They probably changed brands they carry by now, like they always do.
I like repurposing stuff, the cheese can be used for broccoli and cheese and broccoli soup or even nachos and burrito cheese. Then I use the mac for macaroni salad or a buffalo chicken salad.

Forum List

Back