Possible Record Cold Coming

I sure hope this isn't a preview of what's to come for the winter.

Looks like even parts of Florida are going to get cold.

Everyone needs to bundle up. It's getting cold out there.

Up to 170 cities are predicted to get record lows for this time of year.

My area won't get it but mountain roads are already closed here. The last almost 3 miles of Mt. Baker road closed at the beginning of last month. Same with several other mountain roads.

Looks like winter has come early this year.

Next week's Arctic blast will be so cold, forecasters expect it to break 170 records across US

It's a preview.
We started embarking on an Ice Age last year.
Wrap those pipes.

I hope not. I have never liked cold.

I have a vacation house by Mt. Rainier. We have had to build the water system so that it will drain all the water out when the water is turned off. We then put anti freeze in the toilet and turn all the faucets on so the pipes or the toilet doesn't freeze.

It's a pain to do but if we don't do it, pipes freeze, the toilet bursts. Not fun. No amount of wrapping pipes will work there.

I learnt my lesson years ago when I was going away for a while and figured I should drain the pipes and turn the pump off (water is served by a spring with an electric pump) instead of just leaving a tap running. Came to find out that water has to be flushed out of the pipes, or it will sit inside them, freeze and blow up down in the basement, which is what they did. That's when I converted everything to Pex Pipe so that won't happen any more.

I've heard of people pouring antifreeze down the drain but that makes no sense. Besides pouring deadly poison into the water table, I don't believe there's such a thing as an exploded toilet. I've seen a frozen toilet (on the surface) but those pipes go straight underground anyway and they're not under any pressure, and the toilet surface is open so it's not confined to a space like a pipe is. I have a friend here who does that and I've convinced her to stop doing it. She does flush her pipes out though (with compressed air). I just leave a tap running a trickle.

There are types of anti freeze that aren't made for cars. It's made for pipes. Instead of being that green color and thick, it's pink and thin. It's made especially for pipes without all the toxic chemicals as car anti freeze.

I learned the hard way years ago. We turned the water off but didn't have the system to drain the water out of the pipes and we didn't put anti freeze in the toilet. The pipes and toilet froze with the toilet breaking.

It was then we installed the system to drain the pipes. We haven't had that problem since.

This is a place where if it starts snowing, leave. Fast. Because within an hour or so you can no longer leave. I've been snowbound there more than once through the years. One year while snowbound a snow plow came, or tried to come plow the streets. It got stuck in the snow. So another larger one was sent to get it unstuck in the snow. That second plow got stuck. It wasn't until a third gigantic plow thing with tires many times my size came to pull the plows out. He also pulled our cars out too so we could finally leave after being snowbound for 4 days.

Hell, I was snowbound here for a full week last winter. Didn't matter, I'm well stocked. I kind of like when those things happen. It's fun to deal with an alternate universe instead of the same old thing. I like power failures too. I don't go out and cause them, mind you, but I do make the most of it when they present.

I'll let my friend know about that different antifreeze. But I won't do it. How the hell cold does it need to get for a toilet to blow up?

Not the best way of looking at it. For one, the weather is only "inclement" due to the temperature gradient between the regions. And the weakened jet stream would be more prone to being disturbed more often, allowing cold air to dip over more southerly regions, as we are seeing now.

Is it "inclement" weather to get 80 degree heat waves in Alaska? Alaskans probably would not say so.

My apologies ... low pressure troughs and the associated cyclone are inclement weather, rain wind tornadoes hail and the like ... high pressure ridges and the associated anti-cyclone would be fair weather, sunny calm warm stable and the like ... not sure why that confused you ... and this is due to the pressure gradient force ... the data isn't backing your claim of further south, looks like we had colder temperatures along the Gulf in the early 1950's this time of year ... 26ºF on Nov 3rd, 1950 ... before temperatures skyrocketed up a few tenth's of a degree ...

Just curious ... why do you think climate change a 100 years from now would cause inclement weather today? ...

I sure hope this isn't a preview of what's to come for the winter.

Looks like even parts of Florida are going to get cold.

Everyone needs to bundle up. It's getting cold out there.

Up to 170 cities are predicted to get record lows for this time of year.

My area won't get it but mountain roads are already closed here. The last almost 3 miles of Mt. Baker road closed at the beginning of last month. Same with several other mountain roads.

Looks like winter has come early this year.

Next week's Arctic blast will be so cold, forecasters expect it to break 170 records across US

It's a preview.
We started embarking on an Ice Age last year.
Wrap those pipes.

I hope not. I have never liked cold.

I have a vacation house by Mt. Rainier. We have had to build the water system so that it will drain all the water out when the water is turned off. We then put anti freeze in the toilet and turn all the faucets on so the pipes or the toilet doesn't freeze.

It's a pain to do but if we don't do it, pipes freeze, the toilet bursts. Not fun. No amount of wrapping pipes will work there.

I learnt my lesson years ago when I was going away for a while and figured I should drain the pipes and turn the pump off (water is served by a spring with an electric pump) instead of just leaving a tap running. Came to find out that water has to be flushed out of the pipes, or it will sit inside them, freeze and blow up down in the basement, which is what they did. That's when I converted everything to Pex Pipe so that won't happen any more.

I've heard of people pouring antifreeze down the drain but that makes no sense. Besides pouring deadly poison into the water table, I don't believe there's such a thing as an exploded toilet. I've seen a frozen toilet (on the surface) but those pipes go straight underground anyway and they're not under any pressure, and the toilet surface is open so it's not confined to a space like a pipe is. I have a friend here who does that and I've convinced her to stop doing it. She does flush her pipes out though (with compressed air). I just leave a tap running a trickle.

There are types of anti freeze that aren't made for cars. It's made for pipes. Instead of being that green color and thick, it's pink and thin. It's made especially for pipes without all the toxic chemicals as car anti freeze.

I learned the hard way years ago. We turned the water off but didn't have the system to drain the water out of the pipes and we didn't put anti freeze in the toilet. The pipes and toilet froze with the toilet breaking.

It was then we installed the system to drain the pipes. We haven't had that problem since.

This is a place where if it starts snowing, leave. Fast. Because within an hour or so you can no longer leave. I've been snowbound there more than once through the years. One year while snowbound a snow plow came, or tried to come plow the streets. It got stuck in the snow. So another larger one was sent to get it unstuck in the snow. That second plow got stuck. It wasn't until a third gigantic plow thing with tires many times my size came to pull the plows out. He also pulled our cars out too so we could finally leave after being snowbound for 4 days.

Hell, I was snowbound here for a full week last winter. Didn't matter, I'm well stocked. I kind of like when those things happen. It's fun to deal with an alternate universe instead of the same old thing. I like power failures too. I don't go out and cause them, mind you, but I do make the most of it when they present.

I'll let my friend know about that different antifreeze. But I won't do it. How the hell cold does it need to get for a toilet to blow up?

This is a place in the Cascade Mountains. It's on the warmer side of Mt. Rainier, the south side. Just outside the Mt. Rainier National Park. Which claims to be the snowiest place on earth. Which it is. Sometimes. Other years a mountain in the north part of the Cascades, Mt. Baker takes the title.

Before anyone starts on the Arctic, that's the place with the most ice. Not snow.

It's not like the east where you get cold. It's a high elevation, Rainier is one of the tallest single standing mountains in the nation, and gets extremely cold in the winter for long periods of time. In fact, there are areas that the snow never melts no matter what season of the year. I've been to Paradise on my birthday, July 3, to play in the snow many times.

My parents bought the land there when I was 2 years old in 1962. A log house was built. I've seen a lot of things happen there and a lot of changes, It's just 18 miles from White Pass which is where some gold metal skiers train for the Olympics. Both White Pass and Mt. Baker open for skiing early and stay open longer in the year. Mt. Baker you can only ski until around 3pm. Everyone has to be gone by 4pm. If you haven't reported that you're back to your car or bus, the ski patrol comes looking for you and you receive a very hefty fine for it. People die in places like that very easily. Every year at least one person, if not more, die on Mt. Rainier. Most of the roads through the Mt. Rainier area are closed in the winter. The main road over to Yakima was closed the beginning of last month along with the road down into the National Park. All but one road through there is closed in the winter because of snow and ice. Those roads will stay closed until Memorial Weekend next May. Same with the North Cascades Highway and so many more that go through the Cascade Mountains.

Winter here in our mountains is very different from the east.

That 4 days of being snowbound I mentioned was the shortest time I've been snow bound there. Yes being snowbound is fun. At first. Then it gets boring with not much to do. Can't even leave to go up to White Pass to ski.

You are a pathetic Obamabot who buys into the "settled science" nonsense force fed to you by your liberal loon masters. ...
Neat! That puts me in the same company as the global scientific community. And that puts you in the tiny group of denier american republicans that are a global embarrassment to this country.

I'm good with that.

You really , really are uneducated, particularly to claim how educated you supposedly are.
Irrelevant crybabying. Small children know the basics of climate change. You think i am claiming to be smart and educated, but that's an illusion. It's just that you are so ignorant and stupid, it appears this way to you.

not sure why that confused you ...
It didnt. Its that you didnt account for the fact that not all weather changes due to the weakened jet stream produce "inclement weather". Furthermore, you tossed out the first, gut "feeling" you had, and seemed to make it incumbent upon everyone else to explain it away. So, i tried.

You really , really are uneducated, particularly to claim how educated you supposedly are.
Irrelevant crybabying. Small children know the basics of climate change. You think i am claiming to be smart and educated, but that's an illusion. It's just that you are so ignorant and stupid, it appears this way to you.
Crybaby? Who is doing the crying in this thread? Not me. I have read many of the research reports that have come out and invariably they all issue some sort of caveat. Now, maybe you should read past the articles and actually read the research reports themselves.

these waves in the jet stream would have a higher amplitude and slower progression ... but this is a two-edged sword; inclement weather will be more inclement and last longer, but fair weather will be fairer and again last longer .
Not the best way of looking at it. For one, the weather is only "inclement" due to the temperature gradient between the regions. And the weakened jet stream would be more prone to being disturbed more often, allowing cold air to dip over more southerly regions, as we are seeing now.

Is it "inclement" weather to get 80 degree heat waves in Alaska? Alaskans probably would not say so.

"If cult leader hurt me, cult leader still good. I BELIEVE"

You are a pathetic Obamabot who buys into the "settled science" nonsense force fed to you by your liberal loon masters. ...
Neat! That puts me in the same company as the global scientific community. And that puts you in the tiny group of denier american republicans that are a global embarrassment to this country.

I'm good with that.

Oooooo Sunni Man we are an "embarrassment". You will Believe Your Betters or Be Shamed.

This is a great thread, I can't tell you how many times I've laughed out loud already.

It's on the warmer side of Mt. Rainier, the south side.

Just until Mt Rainier makes a bit of a popping sound, and 1,200ºF rocks the size of houses are flying at you at 700 mph ... enough to ruin your day snowboarding ... ha ha ha ha ... but no worries, that 9.8 M earthquake is due any second now ... don't forget your two weeks supply of bottled water, all that spring water gushing out on Mt Rainier is too clean, too pure ... mineral and dioxin deficiencies are unhealthy ...

Global warming means you'll only be getting 22 feet of rain per year ... instead of 24 feet ...

Neat! That puts me in the same company as the global scientific community.
That just puts you in with liberal loons who worship at the alter of the global warming scam. ... :cuckoo:

"While polls of scientists actively working in the filed of climate science indicate strong general agreement that Earth is warming and human activity is a significant factor, 31,000 scientists say there is "no convincing evidence" that humans can or will cause "catastrophic" heating of the atmosphere."

31,000 scientists say "no convincing evidence". — OSS Foundation

124690.gif

It's on the warmer side of Mt. Rainier, the south side.

Just until Mt Rainier makes a bit of a popping sound, and 1,200ºF rocks the size of houses are flying at you at 700 mph ... enough to ruin your day snowboarding ... ha ha ha ha ... but no worries, that 9.8 M earthquake is due any second now ... don't forget your two weeks supply of bottled water, all that spring water gushing out on Mt Rainier is too clean, too pure ... mineral and dioxin deficiencies are unhealthy ...

Global warming means you'll only be getting 22 feet of rain per year ... instead of 24 feet ...

I didn't get past the ridiculous first sentence. There wasn't any reason to read more after such a ridiculous statement.

If I had a penny for every time someone claimed that Rainier is going to blow up I would be richer than Bill Gates.

Keep believing that it's going to blow up and destroy the whole area. I get a good laugh out of people who make those statements. Most of us who are native to this area have a good laugh at statements like that and those who state them.

LOL.

I didn't get past the ridiculous first sentence. There wasn't any reason to read more after such a ridiculous statement.

If I had a penny for every time someone claimed that Rainier is going to blow up I would be richer than Bill Gates.

May I suggest you quit bragging about living in the most beautiful, pristine and friendly place in the world ... we don't want to hear about how lush and green it is, and your damn 300 foot trees that grow like weeds ... all that 10,000 square miles old growth forest you see off your front porch is overrated ...

Now, unless you want 2,000,000 Californians moving in next to you, I suggest "rains every day all day long" ... (that shovelful of dirt in my yard used to be Mt Mazama ... just saying) ...

Crybaby? Who is doing the crying in this thread? Not me. I have read many of the research reports that have come out and invariably they all issue some sort of caveat. Now, maybe you should read past the articles and actually read the research reports themselves.
Sure you have.

The IPCC report is very clear.

Forum List

Back