Pope shares his birthday breakfast with homeless

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
December 17, 2013 - 7:35 AM, By FRANCES D'EMILIO, Associated Press

The humble man continues to show his class.
6dfca1d0e1ca4ec6a7917d19ee77fb67.jpg

VATICAN CITY (AP) —
Four homeless people, one of them bringing his dog, helped Pope Francis celebrate his 77th birthday at the Vatican Tuesday.
See more at: Pope shares his birthday breakfast with homeless | CNS News

Buon compleanno Papa. :)

"How can it be that it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points? This is a case of exclusion." - Pope Francis (2013)

Liking this Pope more and more. Wish I was Catholic sometimes. :) Would make a good Franciscan.

Buon compleanno Papa. :)

"How can it be that it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points? This is a case of exclusion." - Pope Francis (2013)

Liking this Pope more and more. Wish I was Catholic sometimes. :) Would make a good Franciscan.

In my extensive researching of the history of California and the missions, I've become a huge fan of Franciscans.

Give a man a fish and all that.

The catholic church is rich enough to give millions of homeless people jobs you know teach a man to fish.

It's his birthday and he is free to spend it however he wants and with whomever he wants (assuming they consent).

I unfortunately do have a cynical nature and found myself wondering if this was just a photo op and if they can find a homeless person to have lunch with the Pope, wouldn't it be just as easy to help that homeless person not be homeless?

I sincerely hope this meeting is going to change that mans life and living situation and not just be a photo op. I need to be less cynical. But then i guess that's what happens hanging around criminals and progressives all day.

except the Pope is a Jesuit :D

And he took the name Francis in praise of Saint Francis of Assisi and the Franciscan Order.

When I was on walk-about way back, I was resting in a church's parking lot in Florida and a deacon mistook me for a Jesuit (and yes, I know the Pope's a Jesuit heh.) He said something about how they're trained to survive with very little while on their missions. I was lounging in my car on 'holy ground' so guess he thought I was a visiting priest. But 12 years of schooling to become one isn't for me :)

When I was younger though, I made friends with a local Franciscan monk, 'Jedi' robes and sandals n all. And as I learned about their order it seemed more true to the whole serve your congregation, not they serve you making you rich like mega-churches do. I've always been very minimalist and spartan in my life despite having the means to live much richer (probably end up the perverbial 'leaves behind a bank account with lots while living on dog food' sort.) :) So the whole poverty lifestyle never presented itself as a downside, more than half-way there already. :)

He's such a wonderful choice, humble is a word you'd want to use when describing any pope. Not the only word of course but it is one quality.

He's shaking things up and so another word would be strong. He's a real people person and I really like him so far.

It's his birthday and he is free to spend it however he wants and with whomever he wants (assuming they consent).

I unfortunately do have a cynical nature and found myself wondering if this was just a photo op and if they can find a homeless person to have lunch with the Pope, wouldn't it be just as easy to help that homeless person not be homeless?

I sincerely hope this meeting is going to change that mans life and living situation and not just be a photo op. I need to be less cynical. But then i guess that's what happens hanging around criminals and progressives all day.

So you obviously don't believe in Papal infallibility.

It's increasingly sad to see some Catholics choose their politics over their Religion, but it reveals the level of depth one can ACTUALLY trick their mind into believing in a Religion. Not very deep at all.

Give a man a fish and all that.

The catholic church is rich enough to give millions of homeless people jobs you know teach a man to fish.

As long as the jobs weren't moved to China and you have a political party that believes in education.

I don't think it was done solely as a photo-op though I'm sure some of it was since he made the comment about dying homeless people. But he's done enough other things that I think he's sincere. Washing the feet of criminals, embracing that guy with the facial deformity, etc. If it turns out he's insincere I'll verbally inviscerate him without hesitation, but so far I'm very optimistic.

I don't think it was done solely as a photo-op though I'm sure some of it was since he made the comment about dying homeless people. But he's done enough other things that I think he's sincere. Washing the feet of criminals, embracing that guy with the facial deformity, etc. If it turns out he's insincere I'll verbally inviscerate him without hesitation, but so far I'm very optimistic.

Wait until all the poor and homeless are lined up at his doorstep. Then you'll see how genuine he is.

Forum List

Back