Pop Quiz

fncceo

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2016
You're walking through a public place and you come across police and paramedics working on a seriously injured / dying person. Barricades are up and police are directing people around the scene.

EMS-On-Scene.jpg

Do you ...

A) Walk up to police and ask, "Hey! What's going on?"

B) Walk up to the barricade and start filming with your phone ... maybe even take a selfie or two with the critical patient in the background?

C) Pretend you don't see the barricades and walk right through the scene?

D) Walk around and continue on with your day, maybe taking a moment to thank your maker it's not you on the floor?

The most common answer might surprise you.

You're walking through a public place and you come across police and paramedics working on a seriously injured / dying person. Barricades are up and police are directing people around the scene.

View attachment 685315

Do you ...

B) Walk up to the barricade and start filming with your phone ... maybe even take a selfie or two with the critical patient in the background?

D) Walk around and continue on with your day, maybe taking a moment to thank your maker it's not you on the floor?

I'm going to say D. They're professionals, they can do better than I can.

View attachment 685315

Do you ...

I approach the scene state my medical training, and offer assistance. So... E.

I approach the scene state my medical training, and offer assistance. So... E.

I'm pretty sure that if you had any medical training, you would know enough to never interfere with first responders in the middle of a job.

View attachment 685315

Do you ...

E) take picture and start a thread about it on USMB

I'm pretty sure that if you had any medical training, you would know enough to never interfere with first responders in the middle of a job.
I was referring to the police. Not the engaged first responders. Multiple casualty incidents, often can benefit from additional trained, and equipped help. Additionally, at least in my locale; we know each other. So, having it be deemed interfering is laughable.

devils advocate here: if you did stop to help...are you covered by a good Samaritan act ..would you be covered by any insurance...in this day and age that must be considered...and what level is medical training...i worked in an er ..in admitting...i had cpr training...note the word 'had" many changes have been made since them in the cpr standards

Me... I'd probably pause to take in the scene then move on without thanking the fates that it was someone else and not me (that's just how I'm put together)... So kind of "D".

Now, given the culture in which we currently live, I'd guess the most common answer is "B"...

I'd do what any normal person would do. I'd come up to them and ask them "Hey, Doc., my arm hurts when I do this."

I’m pretty sure the EMS on scene would welcome a Doctor.

You'd be wrong.

A GP or ENT that treats patients in a nice, clean office.. and makes them wait an hour even with an appointment would be worse than useless to an EMT with thousands of hours of emergency training and hundreds of resus under his or her belt.

It would be like a botanist trying to take over the construction of a house from a carpenter.

Forum List

Back