'Who cares? Another dead cop': Florida firefighter terminated after text messages surface about deceased police officer

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
And hopefully no dept anywhere will hire his ass!

• A Miami firefighter has been fired after text messages surfaced of him criticizing law enforcement.
  • The firefighter texted "who cares?" regarding the death of a Miami-Dade police officer, per reports.
  • The firefighter later apologized, saying the deceased police officer "did not deserve any of this."

A Miami firefighter has been fired after text messages surfaced of him harshly criticizing law enforcement following the death of a Miami-Dade police officer.

Kevin Newcomb of the City of Miami Fire Rescue was removed from duty and then fired on Friday following "antagonistic" messages he sent in a group chat about fallen Miami-Dade Police Officer Cesar Echaverry, a spokesperson told WSVN 7News.

Echaverry, 29, was critically injured in a shooting on Monday, and he died in the hospital two days later, 7News reported.

"Who cares? Another dead cop, probably against gun control. They didn't give an [expletive] when kids were dying in that school shooting they stood outside," Newcomb wrote in a group chat, per 7News. He appeared to be referring to the elementary school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, where hundreds of law enforcement officers were criticized for waiting over an hour before confronting the shooter, who killed 19 students and 2 teachers.

1661039393559.png

• A Miami firefighter has been fired after text messages surfaced of him criticizing law enforcement.
  • The firefighter texted "who cares?" regarding the death of a Miami-Dade police officer, per reports.
  • The firefighter later apologized, saying the deceased police officer "did not deserve any of this."

What a horrible, stupid person.

/---/ I never understood the hatred between firefighters and the police. They don't compete professionally with each other. Makes no sense.

Was that his only offense or a repeated offense? Who among us has never thoughtlessly responded inappropriately for something that we regretted and/or took back later? Unkind, thoughtless, hurtful yes. Worthy of reprimand and expressions of disapproval yes. A firing offense? I just don't see it that way.

Many years ago when I was still very young, a woman I knew hated the President. And her first knee jerk response when we first heard he had been shot was 'good'. Well her coworkers there at the time of course jumped all over her, and she immediately regretted it. And profusely apologized when we learned how serious it was. So was she properly chastised for a thoughtless and extremely inappropriate remark? Yes. Was that typical of her? No. A fireable offense? No.

Was that his only offense or a repeated offense? Who among us has never thoughtlessly responded inappropriately for something that we regretted and/or took back later? Unkind, thoughtless, hurtful yes. Worthy of reprimand and expressions of disapproval yes. A firing offense? I just don't see it that way.

Many years ago when I was still very young, a woman I knew hated the President. And her first knee jerk response when we first heard he had been shot was 'good'. Well her coworkers there at the time of course jumped all over her, and she immediately regretted it. And profusely apologized when we learned how serious it was. So was she properly chastised for a thoughtless and extremely inappropriate remark? Yes. Was that typical of her? No. A fireable offense? No.
If there were not so many examples of thoughtless words ruining a man’s career I would agree

But the politically correct lib social justice warriors have gone too far to turn back now

If there were not so many examples of thoughtless words ruining a man’s career I would agree

But the politically correct lib social justice warriors have gone too far to turn back now
Fairness is fairness regardless of where the culture is pushed. Allowing people to be imperfect especially when nobody is harmed is compassion/common sense no matter who is the critic. Justice is justice even when the SJWs are at their worst.

At some point, good people must--and often do--stand up and say enough is enough to those pushing cancel culture, politics of personal destruction, downright cruel and inhumane treatment of those who stand in one's way to achieve personal gain.

Fairness is fairness regardless of where the culture is pushed. Allowing people to be imperfect especially when nobody is harmed is compassion/common sense no matter who is the critic. Justice is justice even when the SJWs are at their worst.

At some point, good people must--and often do--stand up and say enough is enough to those pushing cancel culture, politics of personal destruction, downright cruel and inhumane treatment of those who stand in one's way to achieve personal gain.
I remember a white college kid who was kicked of of school for calling a bunch of drunk and loud black coeds “water buffalos

No real harm was done to the black women

But I’m pretty sure that set him back in life

I remember a white college kid who was kicked of of school for calling a bunch of drunk and loud black coeds “water buffalos

No real harm was done to the black women

But I’m pretty sure that set him back in life
Sure it happens. The more rabid left has declared it a human right to not be offended and has designated certain groups as having special rights not to be offended. I recall a rookie fireman whose turn it was to bring treats to the other firemen and he brought a watermelon. And because there were some black firemen, he was accused of stereotyping and was fired. That too set him back in life over something so ridiculous the other firemen should have been embarrassed.

Pretty harsh punishment for posting a throwaway comment that happened to be insensitive. What happened to the 1st Amendment? Fire and police are forced to hire people with felony records.

Not really. It shows his character. I wouldn't want some idiot like that working for me.

I wish the Right would throw the hypocrisy to the curb. Anyone who denigrates the left, minorities, immigrants, or hell anyone other than hard core right wing believers, is a hero. But god forbid if anyone dares speak back about them.

You can’t have it both ways. Either you are for, or against freedom. Unless you are a fan of the Peter Griffen version of freedom.

Forum List

Back