Polygamy effectively decriminalized in Utah

The same legal arguments that made Gay Marriage legal will be used to make Polygamy or Multiple Partner marriages legal.

And if that is true, you can't really blame the gays can you since the precedent was set long before we started fighting for equality. This guy saw it coming...(from Wiki)

Andrew King (March 20, 1812 – November 18, 1895) was a member of the United States House of Representatives representing Missouri in the mid- to late 19th century. He was a member of the Democratic Party.

King notably was the first congressperson to propose a nationwide ban on interracial marriage in the United States, which he did in 1871. King proposed an amendment to the US constitution to ban interracial marriage because he feared that the Fourteenth Amendment, ratified in 1868 to give equal civil rights to the emancipated ex-slaves (the Freedmen) as part of the process of Reconstruction, would render laws against interracial marriage unconstitutional.​

Other than the conservative obsession with managing peoples sex life, what interest does society have in banning polygamy?

Because they all are, folks like R. D. and Marianne and Ernie S. and their buddies like them, creepy about sex.

Other than the conservative obsession with managing peoples sex life, what interest does society have in banning polygamy?

It's not Conservatives who want to keep polygamy illegal.

It's liberals.

As usual, It's liberals who don't want equal application of the laws..

Has nothing to do with gay marriage, which is a separate issue.
The whole point of the same sex lawsuits was that the Government was stopping people from marrying those that they "love"

Their point being was, just what concern of the Government just who they love and who they marry?

That point has been deemed valid.

So, what concern is it of the Government if three or more people want to get married? Polygamy has been around for centuries, so you can't claim there is not historical basis for it. Polygamy has been practiced in nearly every region of the world. In fact, polygamy is part of some people's religion, so it actually violates their right to practice their religion to ban it.

I will once again dare those who are against polygamy to give one reason that it should remain illegal and I can refute it..

1 - It's none of the Government's business who or how many I love.

2 - It's my Religious right.

3 - It's part of my culture.

4 - Keep your religion's restrictions away from me. We're a secular Government.

5 - Show me how my being married to two or more other people affects your marriage.

Those 5 arguments will refute 99% of any objections.

For those who want to be concerned about what happens legally in a divorce.. Normal contract law would apply... There are plenty of cases involving three or more partners to lay any legal groundwork needed.

It's liberals.

I don't know of any liberals who are campaigning against polygamy. If everyone agrees it is no big deal.......let's just go ahead and legalize it

I don't know of any liberals who are campaigning against polygamy. If everyone agrees it is no big deal.......let's just go ahead and legalize it

I and other Conservatives have been saying that since the Left started pushing for Same Sex marriage. If you want to remove restrictions from marriage, remove them all. It was the Liberals who said it shouldn't.

It's liberals.

Backwards, Fred. That is the conservatives who are against marriage equality.

Polygamy has nothing to do with same sex marrying each other.

No, OS, you are wrong. But you can post where liberals opposed it and the social conservatives supported it.

I and other Conservatives have been saying that since the Left started pushing for Same Sex marriage. If you want to remove restrictions from marriage, remove them all. It was the Liberals who said it shouldn't.
Show me any conservative that advocated removing all restrictions on marriage

Show me any conservative that advocated removing all restrictions on marriage

I guess I don't count, huh? I have said for a very long time that if the laws are going to change to allow same gender marriages, then all restrictions on marriage except those dealing with age need to be removed.

I firmly agree with that, OS. I also think that civil unions should b e registered with the state from now on, and 'marriage' become a term for private unions sanctioned in a house of worship. A couple could then register their new situation legally in a civil union with the state.

Forum List

Back