POLL: Open the economy up and go back to work - Stay home and shutdown

Do you support reopening many US businesses 4/13/20, or prefer keeping the US shutdown longer

• Yes, Re-open the US economy such as small businesses to keep them from going bankrupt

Votes: 92 69.2%
  • No, do not open up small or big US businesses, COVID-19 is too dangerous to rush opening

Votes: 41 30.8%

• Total voters
There is no magic cure here but our healthcare systems are stressed now and it's crazy to just carelessly send everyone back to work and then we have a healthcare disaster. Trump has done a GREAT GREAT thing not only signing but PUSHING the govt checks to people who are going to need it. That's called leadership. He obviously knows this is the CORRECT move. He is a financial expert and if he thought this was a bad thing he wouldn't have pushed for it

I agree with you on the financial bill, but the hospitals are not stressed out. Here in New Orleans we have one of the highest per capita infection rates, but the latest data shows that 47% of hospital beds are not being used currently. NYC may be different, but they now have the hospital ship and new facilities are coming on line this week.

Our prez knows how the nation is doing. He would not have pushed so hard for this legislation. Therefore this was the proper and just move otherwise he wouldn't have done it.

I'm seeing a lot of discussion but can't figure out who has the majority.

To re-open the US economy in a limited fashion around Easter Monday (4/13/20) with masks, social distancing, no sports venues, no cruises, or major crowds, just minimal re-opening businesses. The object is to keep as many companies in-business as possible.

Or, keep the economy and businesses shutdown until the coronavirus (COVID-19) is under control as recommended by the doctors, even if that means that many businesses would NOT re-open due to the lost revenue and bankruptcy.
Let the cowards stay home. All welfare and unemployment checks denied. They can pretend their in Venezuela and eat their pets.

Not to jinx us, but it looks like the virus is peaking and hopefully starts to wane from here.
1. The EU hit their peak number of 30,000 new cases per day 3/26 & 3/27. Lets hope they continue dropping.
2. The US should be close to our new case peak now, we should know early next week for sure.

I'm okay keeping non-essential workers home until the new 15-minute test rolls out and they issue medications to take. With luck we could all be working by late April, otherwise it could be late May.
We need this thing gone by August or football season is toast.
I wish you were correct but you're not. Deaths have doubled in just two days

so the lockdown didn't work? There are 330,000,000 people in the USA, what % have the virus? what % have died from it? post those stats, then post the same stats for the flu, car wrecks, suicide, drug overdoses, gang violence, and abortion.

do that, then lets talk again.

Things are going to be shut down for awhile yet. And that's the way it's going to be. The nation has to deal with it. We will. Our president knows this is the route we must go.

Things are going to be shut down for awhile yet. And that's the way it's going to be. The nation has to deal with it. We will. Our president knows this is the route we must go.

yes, the question is how long and how much damage to the economy can we stand.

To re-open the US economy in a limited fashion around Easter Monday (4/13/20) with masks, social distancing, no sports venues, no cruises, or major crowds, just minimal re-opening businesses. The object is to keep as many companies in-business as possible.

Or, keep the economy and businesses shutdown until the coronavirus (COVID-19) is under control as recommended by the doctors, even if that means that many businesses would NOT re-open due to the lost revenue and bankruptcy.
Let the cowards stay home. All welfare and unemployment checks denied. They can pretend their in Venezuela and eat their pets.

Not to jinx us, but it looks like the virus is peaking and hopefully starts to wane from here.
1. The EU hit their peak number of 30,000 new cases per day 3/26 & 3/27. Lets hope they continue dropping.
2. The US should be close to our new case peak now, we should know early next week for sure.

I'm okay keeping non-essential workers home until the new 15-minute test rolls out and they issue medications to take. With luck we could all be working by late April, otherwise it could be late May.

Mortality is going to be a lagging indicator. The death rate will peak after the peak of new cases. Given the incubation period and the fact that most people with bad COVID have a more of a progressive deterioration rather than immediate decompensation, our data is always going to be several weeks behind.

Therefore this was the proper and just move otherwise he wouldn't have done it.
LOL- he, just like his predecessors, does what he is allowed to do- I suppose in your feeble, Party worshiping mind, that another few trillion in debt to insure your kids, kids, kids, kids, kids remain enslaved is proper. But it's sad that your Party loyalty is stronger than your family ties. I hope you'e documenting this so your desendants get a first hand account of your complicit actions.

Mortality is going to be a lagging indicator. The death rate will peak after the peak of new cases. Given the incubation period and the fact that most people with bad COVID have a more of a progressive deterioration rather than immediate decompensation, our data is always going to be several weeks behind.

How many of the people whose deaths have been attributed to the virus would have died anyway because of their underlying medical problems? Maybe the virus hastened their demise, maybe it didn't. We have no way of knowing. The stats are therefore misleading and meaningless.

How many of the people whose deaths have been attributed to the virus would have died anyway because of their underlying medical problems? Maybe the virus hastened their demise, maybe it didn't. We have no way of knowing. The stats are therefore misleading and meaningless.
Exactly. That’s why tens of thousands die from the annual flu bug every year.

It’s an odd argument to make. Everyone is going to die sometime anyway so why attempt to prevent it?

More to the point, statistics is very good at determining things like standard mortality ratios to determine what the attributable mortality of a particular issue would be.

Simply acting like this is the seasonal flu or chicken pox is not going to end well.

The virus is going to set the timeline. In the end this is pretty much the way it is. I hope things settle down and hope people can go back to work asap. But right now the virus is calling the shots. People are staying home and trying to keep their families safe. Every restaurant here is closed up. The main Street has no cars parked along it. People are hunkered down. It's surreal.

The virus is going to set the timeline. In the end this is pretty much the way it is. I hope things settle down and hope people can go back to work asap. But right now the virus is calling the shots. People are staying home and trying to keep their families safe. Every restaurant here is closed up. The main Street has no cars parked along it. People are hunkered down. It's surreal.
And absolutely necessary

And absolutely necessary

Finally , Dr LaPook has suggested what I have been suggesting for 2 months perform serology tests and those who have been previously exposed to the Coronavirus can go back to work thereby preventing the economy from being irreparably harmed:

Dr. Jon LaPook on the value of antibody tests for past coronavirus infection

And absolutely necessary

Finally , Dr LaPook has suggested what I have been suggesting for 2 months perform serology tests and those who have been previously exposed to the Coronavirus can go back to work thereby preventing the economy from being irreparably harmed:

Dr. Jon LaPook on the value of antibody tests for past coronavirus infection

Serology tests aren’t as simply as it may seem. I’ve heard Mayo is going to be rolling one out in a few weeks which will be great. There’s so many people we assumed had COVID and couldn’t test, that it’ll be really helpful to determine if they’ve indeed had it already when they show up again with similar respiratory symptoms.

It’s an odd argument to make. Everyone is going to die sometime anyway so why attempt to prevent it?

More to the point, statistics is very good at determining things like standard mortality ratios to determine what the attributable mortality of a particular issue would be.

Simply acting like this is the seasonal flu or chicken pox is not going to end well.

And yet it seems a pervasive argument in some circles....

Opinion | ‘Covid-19 Kills Only Old People.’ Only?

Of course, we all will die, and since the ventures of the rich and famous to indefinitely extend life have so far come up short, death in old age is the best outcome available to us.
But most old people are not dying. Not only are the “old” getting older, but the risk of death in the next year for a 70-year-old man is just 2 percent, and an 80-year-old woman has only a 4 percent likelihood of dying in the coming year, according to the Stanford economist John Shoven. Comments such as “They’re on their way out anyway” are therefore more than colossally insensitive; they’re also colossally inaccurate.

Of course, we all will die, and since the ventures of the rich and famous to indefinitely extend life have so far come up short, death in old age is the best outcome available to us.
But most old people are not dying. Not only are the “old” getting older, but the risk of death in the next year for a 70-year-old man is just 2 percent, and an 80-year-old woman has only a 4 percent likelihood of dying in the coming year, according to the Stanford economist John Shoven. Comments such as “They’re on their way out anyway” are therefore more than colossally insensitive; they’re also colossally inaccurate.

In 2012, Republicans were incensed at a political attack ad depicting Paul Ryan as pushing granny off a cliff.

Some people aren’t too far from that now.

So when an 85 year old with diabetes, heart disease, and COPD dies and tests positive for corona, what killed him? There is no way to know, that's my point.

As to the number killed, this is no where near as deadly as the annual flu and we never shut the country down for the flu.

yes, those are good stats, but not pertinent to the discussion. Virtually all of the corona deaths have been people with some other underlying medical issue. that is undeniable.

what ;point were you trying to make? No, it doesn't just kill old people, it mostly kills sick people. so does the flu, common colds, pneumonia, etc.

So when an 85 year old with diabetes, heart disease, and COPD dies and tests positive for corona, what killed him? There is no way to know, that's my point.

As to the number killed, this is no where near as deadly as the annual flu and we never shut the country down for the flu.

If the 85 year old tests positive for COVID, develops fever, pulmonary infiltrates and respiratory distress requiring mechanical ventilation and codes due to hypoxemic cardiac arrest, then yes COVID killed them.

If the 85 year old tests positive for COVID, develops fever, pulmonary infiltrates and respiratory distress requiring mechanical ventilation and codes due to hypoxemic cardiac arrest, then yes COVID killed them.

wrong, their underlying medical conditions made them more susceptible to the virus. so a strong case can be made that the virus merely accelerated what was going to happen anyway. the flu or a cold could have had the exact same outcome.

Forum List

Back