Political question for Leftists. What do you not like about the Constitution?

I’m cool with it as written

After all, Liberals did write the Constituition
And Leftists fled to England.
Wrong again Skippy
The Torries were the Conservatives. They went to England
A liberal and leftist are two distinct creatures, Skippy.
You can try to argue you’re just like the Founding Fathers as you strictly follow every order the government gives you suppressing your liberties and your attacks on God.
Guys.

Weatherman is right that liberals and leftists are two different distinctions.

The wide-brush definition of a liberal is someone who seeks social change to fix social problems. In 1789, the social program was the distant monarchy and today they are (in the liberals' minds, you don't have to agree) social injustice, gun violence, inequality, and so on. Because they had such drastically different issues, the "classical" liberals of then had different priorities and specific beliefs than the "modern" liberals of now -- but they're all liberals, seeking change.

Leftists, again broadly speaking, believe that everyone should receive equal benefits of society, regardless of station, demographics, or contribution. Like everything in politics, these are a spectrum rather than on-off switches, so some may be more one than the other, but generally speaking these days, most liberals are leftists and vice versa.

Back to 1789, Rightwinger is correct that the Constitution was clearly a liberal and a leftist document, because it sought both change and equality. The Tories who resisted or left were defending a conservative and a right-wing (aristocratic, in this case) position.

Forgive me if I over-explain.
Liberals represent THEIR time not ALL TIME

Just because classical Liberals don’t believe what today’s Liberals believe doesn’t make them not Liberal

Forum List

Back