Pink Floyd: "Rolling Stones should boycott Israel"

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Pink Floyd?s Roger Waters and Nick Mason: Why Rolling Stones shouldn?t play in Israel - Salon.com

With the recent news that the Rolling Stones will be playing their first-ever concert in Israel, and at what is a critical time in the global struggle for Palestinian freedom and equal rights, we, the two surviving founders of Pink Floyd, have united in support of Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS), a growing, nonviolent global human rights movement initiated by Palestinian civil society in 2005 to end Israel’s occupation, racial discrimination and denial of basic Palestinian rights.

The BDS movement is modeled on the successful nonviolent movements that helped end Jim Crow in the American South and apartheid in South Africa. Indeed, key figures who led the South African freedom struggle, like Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Mandela’s close associate, Ahmed Kathrada, have come out in support of BDS for Palestinian rights. BDS offers us all a way to nonviolently pressure the Israeli government to fully realize that its injustices against the Palestinian people are legally and morally unacceptable and unsustainable.

Good for them.

No doubt we will hear from the usual suspects that Roger Waters is an anti-Semite.

Pink Floyd?s Roger Waters and Nick Mason: Why Rolling Stones shouldn?t play in Israel - Salon.com

With the recent news that the Rolling Stones will be playing their first-ever concert in Israel, and at what is a critical time in the global struggle for Palestinian freedom and equal rights, we, the two surviving founders of Pink Floyd, have united in support of Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS), a growing, nonviolent global human rights movement initiated by Palestinian civil society in 2005 to end Israel’s occupation, racial discrimination and denial of basic Palestinian rights.

The BDS movement is modeled on the successful nonviolent movements that helped end Jim Crow in the American South and apartheid in South Africa. Indeed, key figures who led the South African freedom struggle, like Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Mandela’s close associate, Ahmed Kathrada, have come out in support of BDS for Palestinian rights. BDS offers us all a way to nonviolently pressure the Israeli government to fully realize that its injustices against the Palestinian people are legally and morally unacceptable and unsustainable.

Good for them.

No doubt we will hear from the usual suspects that Roger Waters is an anti-Semite.

David Gilmore is a surviving member of Pink Floyd. Someone did not do their research.

Good for them.

David Gilmore is a surviving member of Pink Floyd. Someone did not do their research.

But he wasn't a FOUNDING member. He joined the band later after Syd Barrett fried his brain on LSD.

Waters and Mason do not constitute Pink Floyd, they were there at the beginning but Waters sought to take the ball and go home. The surviving members would be Gilmour and Mason.
With the passing of Rick Wright in 2008 (RIP) and Gilmour's dissolution announcement in 2006, there is no Pink Floyd. There have been subsequent inclusive appearances but they were as individuals not as the Floyd.

Good for them.

But he wasn't a FOUNDING member. He joined the band later after Syd Barrett fried his brain on LSD.

Yes, I was wrong. He was in the band when Sydney left though. I think.

Good for them.

David G wont have anything to do with Waters Politics, been that way since the 80's.

Waters and Mason do not constitute Pink Floyd, they were there at the beginning but Waters sought to take the ball and go home. The surviving members would be Gilmour and Mason.
With the passing of Rick Wright in 2008 (RIP) and Gilmour's dissolution announcement in 2006, there is no Pink Floyd. There have been subsequent inclusive appearances but they were as individuals not as the Floyd.

You see, I have a different view. What made Pink Floyd was the artistic vision of Waters. Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and of course, The Wall were all him.

Nobody thinks that the Gilmour/Mason led Floyd produced anything of note. The Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason are uninspired albums.

Yes, I was wrong. He was in the band when Sydney left though. I think.

Yes David was brought on to play backup to Syd, when he started to get really out there. BTW his name is Roger Barrett, not Sydney.

Good for them.

David G wont have anything to do with Waters Politics, been that way since the 80's.

Why I don't have a lot of respect for Gilmour. He was always more about the money than the art.

You see, I have a different view. What made Pink Floyd was the artistic vision of Waters. Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and of course, The Wall were all him.

Nobody thinks that the Gilmour/Mason led Floyd produced anything of note. The Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason are uninspired albums.

I have followed the floyd since the early 70's and have been to several concerts since 1975. Roger Waters was an excellent lyricst, but Dave Gilmour and Richard Wright made the Music, other wise no one would care to listen to Rogers ranting. Rogers solo albums suck they are almost non-musical.

Why I don't have a lot of respect for Gilmour. He was always more about the money than the art.

I respect his ability not to shove his politics down people throats.

Frankly, even when I was more right wing, I respected the fact that Waters stood up for what he believed in.

Unlike Gilmour, who is just out for a buck.

Yet Gilmour and Wright were the better artists in the group. Waters... How many times can you whine about growing up fatherless in your lyrics, or complain about the machinations of the music industry, or combine the two into a rock opera?

Frankly, even when I was more right wing, I respected the fact that Waters stood up for what he believed in.

I always thought that Waters was an asshole, and really jealous of Gilmore.

I always thought that Waters was an asshole, and really jealous of Gilmore.

Oh, Waters is an asshole, but his work is brilliant.

Maybe this belongs in the music section.

I don't think it's really possible to determine if Gilmour or Waters was the more influential band member.

The way I see it, they were equally influential. They compliment each other perfectly and they were made to play music together.
Thank goodness they found Gilmour after Syd became an LSD freak and fried his brain.

Speaking of Syd, I always felt bad for the guy, even though he brought his fate upon himself.

But when he left the band, Pink Floyd became one of the most popular and most influential bands in the world while making tens of millions of dollars, while Syd was living with his mother. That must have been hard to come to terms with.

Forum List

Back