Pink Floyd: "Rolling Stones should boycott Israel"

I don't think it's really possible to determine if Gilmour or Waters was the more influential band member.

The way I see it, they were equally influential. They compliment each other perfectly and they were made to play music together.
Thank goodness they found Gilmour after Syd became an LSD freak and fried his brain.

I should clarify by also stating that without Roger Waters there is no Pink Floyd.

Frankly, even when I was more right wing, I respected the fact that Waters stood up for what he believed in.

Unlike Gilmour, who is just out for a buck.

I always thought that Waters was an asshole, and really jealous of Gilmore.

Oh, Waters is an asshole, but his work is brilliant.

Maybe this belongs in the music section.
Waters, in My opinion, was a one hit wonder. I don't mean one song wonder, but a one hit. The Wall was the only real work he did that I can stomach. A few of his earlier stuff on things like Animals wasn't bad, but in truth. Floyd did much better without him.

I don't think it's really possible to determine if Gilmour or Waters was the more influential band member.

The way I see it, they were equally influential. They compliment each other perfectly and they were made to play music together.
Thank goodness they found Gilmour after Syd became an LSD freak and fried his brain.

I should clarify by also stating that without Roger Waters there is no Pink Floyd.
There were more years without him than with.

To Me, Bon Scott will always be the voice of AC/DC...but there are now more years with Brian Wilson than Bon Scott...This, I suppose, makes Wilson the voice of AC/DC.

There were more years without him than with.

To Me, Bon Scott will always be the voice of AC/DC...but there are now more years with Brian Wilson than Bon Scott...This, I suppose, makes Wilson the voice of AC/DC.

Yeah I thought ACDC was dead when Scott died but Back in Black is one of the best albums ever made.

Pink Floyd?s Roger Waters and Nick Mason: Why Rolling Stones shouldn?t play in Israel - Salon.com

With the recent news that the Rolling Stones will be playing their first-ever concert in Israel, and at what is a critical time in the global struggle for Palestinian freedom and equal rights, we, the two surviving founders of Pink Floyd, have united in support of Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS), a growing, nonviolent global human rights movement initiated by Palestinian civil society in 2005 to end Israel’s occupation, racial discrimination and denial of basic Palestinian rights.

The BDS movement is modeled on the successful nonviolent movements that helped end Jim Crow in the American South and apartheid in South Africa. Indeed, key figures who led the South African freedom struggle, like Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Mandela’s close associate, Ahmed Kathrada, have come out in support of BDS for Palestinian rights. BDS offers us all a way to nonviolently pressure the Israeli government to fully realize that its injustices against the Palestinian people are legally and morally unacceptable and unsustainable.

Good for them.

No doubt we will hear from the usual suspects that Roger Waters is an anti-Semite.
Now Hear This, JoeB. If he is Pro BDS it stands to reason he is Anti Israel. What do you think BDS stands for, except a training platform for Jew-hating sonsabitches?

Speaking of Syd, I always felt bad for the guy, even though he brought his fate upon himself.

But when he left the band, Pink Floyd became one of the most popular and most influential bands in the world while making tens of millions of dollars, while Syd was living with his mother. That must have been hard to come to terms with.

The band took care of Syd's income the remainder of his life. He did not become wealthy, but his bill were paid and he did not have to work.

Now Hear This, JoeB. If he is Pro BDS it stands to reason he is Anti Israel. What do you think BDS stands for, except a training platform for Jew-hating sonsabitches?

Yeah, ok, so what?
Was Animals a better album, musically, than Atom Heart Mother or not?

In my opinion PF Atom Heart Mother was pretentious crap. Meddle is where they started to Jell and make awesome music.

Yeah, ok, so what?
When did this BDS thread become a testimonial to a raft of meth freaks, crackheads and dead druggies,?
Mind you, I'm speaking as an old Bing Crosby fan.

Yeah, ok, so what?
When did this BDS thread become a testimonial to a raft of meth freaks, crackheads and dead druggies,?
So then you wouldn't have an opinion on the merits of The Floyd's St. Tropez over Steely Dan's East St. Louis Toodle Oo?

Yeah, ok, so what?
So then you wouldn't have an opinion on the merits of The Floyd's St. Tropez over Steely Dan's East St. Louis Toodle Oo?
I probably would have a favorable opinion of one over the other if I had to smoke weed to possess music appreciation. I think I'll just hang with Hank Williams and the Grand Ol' Opry. I can listen to that with a good cigar or a pinch of snuff. :D

Yea Gads, Floyd were a great band but Waters was the composer and his solo efforts are probably the best sounds ever recorded, in particular Pros & Cons and Radio KAOS.

I hope one day when Israel brings down their wall Waters will present his.

Yeah, ok, so what?
Rather than recommend you read the missives available for perusal here, let me help bring you up to date.
A couple of former bandmates from one of the most influential musical ensembles of the last fifty years released a public statement about the tour schedule of another band, also extremely influential for the past fifty years.
Some of us offered some corrections to the thread title and thought that certain references also needed correction.
Then somebody came along and made a drug abuse allegation about afficiandos of the aforementioned ensemble while expressing a preference for a singer who destroyed his life with a combination of booze and pills. Said drunk died at age 29 from this abuse.

Last edited:
Yea Gads, Floyd were a great band but Waters was the composer and his solo efforts are probably the best sounds ever recorded, in particular Pros & Cons and Radio KAOS.

I hope one day when Israel brings down their wall Waters will present his.

While I fall in the Gilmour/Wright camp regarding the popularity of PF, the Waters line "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" is one of the great summations of a people ever written in any genre.

Last edited:
Yeah, ok, so what?
Rather than recommend you read the missives available for perusal here, let me help bring you up to date.
A couple of former bandmates from one of the most influential musical ensembles of the last fifty years released a public statement about the tour schedule of another band, also extremely influential for the past fifty years.
Some of us offered some corrections to the thread title and thought that certain references also needed correction.
Then somebody came along and made a drug abuse allegation about afficiandos of the aforementioned ensemble while expressing a preference for a singer who destroyed his life with a combination of booze and pills. Said drunk died at age 29 from this abuse.
Es tut mir leid aber c'est la vie.

I gotta be blind as a drunk sailor for I haven't seen anything about BDS except for Post #1 and I haven't seen a solitary soul make a comment on the thread except for ol' Hossfly.

De nada

Yeah, ok, so what?

In my opinion PF Atom Heart Mother was pretentious crap. Meddle is where they started to Jell and make awesome music.

I think that if you got any of the surviving members, they'd agree with you that AHM wasn't their best work.

Overall, when you talk about Floyd's great albums, you are talking about Dark Side, Wish and The Wall. Those are the ones that still get a lot of radio play on Classic Rock Stations, those are the ones.

I think Animals was a weak album, but it was also at a time of musical flux when they had a lot of new ideas (Punk, Disco, etc.) coming onto the scene and the old hippy music wasn't working anymore.

Pink Floyd?s Roger Waters and Nick Mason: Why Rolling Stones shouldn?t play in Israel - Salon.com

With the recent news that the Rolling Stones will be playing their first-ever concert in Israel, and at what is a critical time in the global struggle for Palestinian freedom and equal rights, we, the two surviving founders of Pink Floyd, have united in support of Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS), a growing, nonviolent global human rights movement initiated by Palestinian civil society in 2005 to end Israel’s occupation, racial discrimination and denial of basic Palestinian rights.

The BDS movement is modeled on the successful nonviolent movements that helped end Jim Crow in the American South and apartheid in South Africa. Indeed, key figures who led the South African freedom struggle, like Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Mandela’s close associate, Ahmed Kathrada, have come out in support of BDS for Palestinian rights. BDS offers us all a way to nonviolently pressure the Israeli government to fully realize that its injustices against the Palestinian people are legally and morally unacceptable and unsustainable.

Good for them.

No doubt we will hear from the usual suspects that Roger Waters is an anti-Semite.

I think it stands for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions- Peaceful ways to get a country that is acting badly to modify its behavior.

Forum List

Back