Picked up some 5.56

Definitely plan to try 55 gr. Back in the day, was pretty consistent at whatever range popup targets the range had in Scout school at Fort Knox. I started back in 77. At that time, it was an M-16 using 55 gr M193.

I like the 55 balistic tips, open up a hole in a critter big enough to put a softball in it.
I watched a couple of Paul Harrell videos on YouTube last night on 5.56 ammo comparisons after we conversed, pointing out that the long 22 inch A1 barrel with 1:12 twist does not impart enough spin to stabilize M855 on short shots for improved accuracy or correction of yaw, where as my 1:7 twist as in the A2 barrel does a better job, even at 16" length. Still, the lighter M193, 55 GR federal ammo left the barrel at higher velocity and stabilized better than the heavier M855 62 GR current NATO round. True, terminal effective range distance accuracy is improved as that much mass carriers further with less deviation than the 55 GR without the steal core. He also speculated that imperfection of centering of the steal core could account for slight less accuracy in the mid-range distances and showing yaw on impact as witness by elongated entry holes instead of perfectly round.
Side note: I was not that impressed with the size of his groupings compared to mine, until I realized he was shooting from the standing erect position, where all my range shots last week were from table supported by carpeted blocks, erect being the least stable shooting position. I didn't practice erect much in the military for obvious reasons, though probably most common hunting stance for small varmint, a key use of this size round.
So, yes, I am convinced and started looking for 500 and 1000 round deals 55 Grain comparable to M193, 5.56 until bed time. Saw some surprising deals but invariably not in stock. I wish they wouldn't do that crap to get me to read their blurb if they haven't go any to sell.

Found out near the end of firing the range, the range does not like green tip M855 as they go through some of the steel targets. Will keep some around but will transition off to a round without the steel rod in the center for range and target work, but will stay with 62 grain.

What's your twist? Many AR 1:12, good for 62 gr. I have a bolt 223 with a 1/9 likes 55gr balistic tips

Since I don't shoot "all" of the ARs in the world, I can't say either of your claims are absolutely wrong but, in general, faster twists like large rounds. I generally build 1:7 or 1:8 which stabilize better with a 62 grain or larger. If I were going to shoot 55 grain regularly or for accuracy, I might go with a 1:9 or even a 1:12 or the original 1:14. That said, the original 855 round (62 grain) was spec'd to require at least 1:9

My latest haul of 5.56.
1k of 5.56 green tip.
DDD4AA22-7C83-4E97-861B-92107E5D39A9.jpeg

And a shitload of other calibers.
7D9EA762-3656-4AB4-9748-04EF48CA7E64.jpeg

Just ordered a dozen more ammo cans to fit the rest of my ammo.

Definitely plan to try 55 gr. Back in the day, was pretty consistent at whatever range popup targets the range had in Scout school at Fort Knox. I started back in 77. At that time, it was an M-16 using 55 gr M193.

I like the 55 balistic tips, open up a hole in a critter big enough to put a softball in it.
I watched a couple of Paul Harrell videos on YouTube last night on 5.56 ammo comparisons after we conversed, pointing out that the long 22 inch A1 barrel with 1:12 twist does not impart enough spin to stabilize M855 on short shots for improved accuracy or correction of yaw, where as my 1:7 twist as in the A2 barrel does a better job, even at 16" length. Still, the lighter M193, 55 GR federal ammo left the barrel at higher velocity and stabilized better than the heavier M855 62 GR current NATO round. True, terminal effective range distance accuracy is improved as that much mass carriers further with less deviation than the 55 GR without the steal core. He also speculated that imperfection of centering of the steal core could account for slight less accuracy in the mid-range distances and showing yaw on impact as witness by elongated entry holes instead of perfectly round.
Side note: I was not that impressed with the size of his groupings compared to mine, until I realized he was shooting from the standing erect position, where all my range shots last week were from table supported by carpeted blocks, erect being the least stable shooting position. I didn't practice erect much in the military for obvious reasons, though probably most common hunting stance for small varmint, a key use of this size round.
So, yes, I am convinced and started looking for 500 and 1000 round deals 55 Grain comparable to M193, 5.56 until bed time. Saw some surprising deals but invariably not in stock. I wish they wouldn't do that crap to get me to read their blurb if they haven't go any to sell.

Lots fun isn't it:) Long as we can get plenty ammo! I have lots of 5.56, think they were 60's. Sometimes we need those quick offhand shots. I hit a fox trotting along at 150 yards with one of my chickens in her maw. Lucky snap shot.

I agree, don't tease us with what they wish they had in stock. Some sites don't show pricing etc if out of stock.

I'm not sure how they fit the core in them but it makes sense they could yaw. Russian 5.45x39 also has a steel rod in it. I cut one open lengthwise once.

Since I don't shoot "all" of the ARs in the world, I can't say either of your claims are absolutely wrong but, in general, faster twists like large rounds. I generally build 1:7 or 1:8 which stabilize better with a 62 grain or larger. If I were going to shoot 55 grain regularly or for accuracy, I might go with a 1:9 or even a 1:12 or the original 1:14. That said, the original 855 round (62 grain) was spec'd to require at least 1:9

My 1:9 Howa bolt loves them 55's (they are handloads) but is no slouch with with 60's either. I use the Spike Tactical AR for anything but the 55's., think it's a 1:7

Lots fun isn't it:) Long as we can get plenty ammo! I have lots of 5.56, think they were 60's. Sometimes we need those quick offhand shots. I hit a fox trotting along at 150 yards with one of my chickens in her maw. Lucky snap shot.

I agree, don't tease us with what they wish they had in stock. Some sites don't show pricing etc if out of stock.

I'm not sure how they fit the core in them but it makes sense they could yaw. Russian 5.45x39 also has a steel rod in it. I cut one open lengthwise once.
Nice. Not back up to the level I want to be, as just getting back into the platform and that does take ammo. Mostly been shooting my 9mm pistol as that is what I carry, but really enjoy getting out and doing outdoor shooting with one my sons.

Nice. Not back up to the level I want to be, as just getting back into the platform and that does take ammo. Mostly been shooting my 9mm pistol as that is what I carry, but really enjoy getting out and doing outdoor shooting with one my sons.

Hard right now to shoot as much as we want. Damn ammo is outrageous. Even reloading supplies are hard to get. My shop allows 1 can powder per sale. So I got more tannerite instead :)

I also shoot alot of blackpowder. Caps are hard to find but not totally unobtainium. Shoot rocklocks, no caps necessary. Still building one. 62cal, 20ga smoothy. Track of the Wolf kit, deluxe Chiefs Grade Fusil de Chasse.

OK I went nuts. Pulled the Ruger Wrangler 22 rev out yesterday and 150 rounds colibri. Myself and adopted son "luke skywalker" blew the hell out of dandelions.

I got this little game everyone enjoys. Shoot empty 22 shells at about 30 feet. Thing is, you DON'T shoot the shell, you shoot the blade of grass it's placed on. $$ makes it harder. Get about 3 - 4 guys, $1 each in the pot and shoot. First shooter gets the shot? So what, all get to shoot, may tie up and keep going.

Hard right now to shoot as much as we want. Damn ammo is outrageous. Even reloading supplies are hard to get. My shop allows 1 can powder per sale. So I got more tannerite instead :)

I also shoot alot of blackpowder. Caps are hard to find but not totally unobtainium. Shoot rocklocks, no caps necessary. Still building one. 62cal, 20ga smoothy. Track of the Wolf kit, deluxe Chiefs Grade Fusil de Chasse.

OK I went nuts. Pulled the Ruger Wrangler 22 rev out yesterday and 150 rounds colibri. Myself and adopted son "luke skywalker" blew the hell out of dandelions.

I got this little game everyone enjoys. Shoot empty 22 shells at about 30 feet. Thing is, you DON'T shoot the shell, you shoot the blade of grass it's placed on. $$ makes it harder. Get about 3 - 4 guys, $1 each in the pot and shoot. First shooter gets the shot? So what, all get to shoot, may tie up and keep going.
With a pistol that is pretty amazing.

l that is pretty amazing.

Pistols are a bit tougher but practice practice practice. Sometimes I cheat and use a rifle :) Old Russian bolt Baikal. Oh yeah, everyone uses the same guns and ammo in these games.
Dude. You sound like the quintessential weapons hobbyist. The anti-gun crowd doesn't understand you guys, at all. I enjoy shooting, but like I also enjoy biking, hiking, skiing, working in the yard (yes I do my own), reading and pool time when I have it open. At my most constistent, I only get to the range 1-3 times/month, and that is not in a Covid year. Where I suspect you can walk out side and basically plink a will. I am in a small city, so it is a range or I don't shoot. I never really collected weapons, just buying, keeping and practicing with what I feel a need to keep around for specific purpose or contingency. Sounds like you picked up some interesting ones over the years.

Dude. You sound like the quintessential weapons hobbyist. The anti-gun crowd doesn't understand you guys, at all. I enjoy shooting, but like I also enjoy biking, hiking, skiing, working in the yard (yes I do my own), reading and pool time when I have it open. At my most constistent, I only get to the range 1-3 times/month, and that is not in a Covid year. Where I suspect you can walk out side and basically plink a will. I am in a small city, so it is a range or I don't shoot. I never really collected weapons, just buying, keeping and practicing with what I feel a need to keep around for specific purpose or contingency. Sounds like you picked up some interesting ones over the years.

Yeah, I like my weapons of all kinds. Make knives, bows, atlatls, throw knives, hawks, shoot. Built my first flintlock pistol at 15, also had a Colt 1851 revolver in 44 at the same age. My first NRA card was a "junior" member :) Shot 4 position 22, lots competitions. Skeet is one of my favorite to shoot. I shoot right here, off the patios works.

Yeah, I like my weapons of all kinds. Make knives, bows, atlatls, throw knives, hawks, shoot. Built my first flintlock pistol at 15, also had a Colt 1851 revolver in 44 at the same age. My first NRA card was a "junior" member :) Shot 4 position 22, lots competitions. Skeet is one of my favorite to shoot. I shoot right here, off the patios works.
Haven't shot skeet in 30 years. Was decent at doubles with a 3 shot bolt action. Lots of fun. If I shot any thing off the back deck or pool area, the cops would be here in 10 minutes. Typically if you need a cop, they are 5 to 10 minutes away. Have been known to pop squirrels at the bird feeders with a Daisy pellet rifle off the back deck and target shoot at the pine tree beyond pool. I print squirrel targets off this computer. That is about the limit of my on property shooting. The live ones have to get down below my fences or they are safe from me and the dog.

Haven't shot skeet in 30 years. Was decent at doubles with a 3 shot bolt action. Lots of fun. If I shot any thing off the back deck or pool area, the cops would be here in 10 minutes. Typically if you need a cop, they are 5 to 10 minutes away. Have been known to pop squirrels at the bird feeders with a Daisy pellet rifle off the back deck and target shoot at the pine tree beyond pool. I print squirrel targets off this computer. That is about the limit of my on property shooting. The live ones have to get down below my fences or they are safe from me and the dog.

I did get to like sporting clays too but skeet rules. Trap is OK, with a fast machine and wobblers. Otherwise it's straight away, same heights all the time. I had many a nice shotguns, Weatherby, win 101, favorite all time a 20ga OE Franchi "Velocci" Now I use a 20ga SXS Baikal and bust them fine. Besides the doubles and singles how about that stand next to the pole between the 2 houses and take 2the overhead! It's pullbang" one word! That's tough. Looking at a Champion trap thrower with wobbler. Can't afford a full skeet range, 2 houses, 8 pads (center 8) 4 high qual machines.... Belonged to a good range in Maine. I ran the shotgun ranges mostly but rifle ranges along with it. So remote we were on generators and forget Nov to May cept the indoor pistol range where we did the NRA postal league 22 mail in matches. So fun. I did the turkey shoots too, darn that was cool.

Air guns are just as much fun. We shoot them here too. 29 year old lives with us just bought another 3 days ago. Now I got to catch up. Want a full auto BB gun, a Droid, Droizd something bout $700 though. Nahhh

Just reached my comfort level in 5.56 at around 7k rounds.
Now have 2k in .45 and well over 2k in 10mm magnum and 1k in 10mm and .40 S&W.
It lets me sleep easy at night.

I hear ya. I got alot of ammo but alot is never enough. The other day, 3 boxes Colibri blowing dandelions up. Then looked at the prices. $15 to $20 for a box of 50 if you can find them. Could be why I am shooting more blackpowder. Looking at building a Kibler "Southern Mountain Rifle" in 32 (use .31 cal buckshot, don't need caps) Got plenty BP and pillows (ticking) for patches, spit for lube. Shoot cheap :)

20191223-140741_orig.jpg

Just reached my comfort level in 5.56 at around 7k rounds.
Now have 2k in .45 and well over 2k in 10mm magnum and 1k in 10mm and .40 S&W.
It lets me sleep easy at night.

I hear ya. I got alot of ammo but alot is never enough. The other day, 3 boxes Colibri blowing dandelions up. Then looked at the prices. $15 to $20 for a box of 50 if you can find them. Could be why I am shooting more blackpowder. Looking at building a Kibler "Southern Mountain Rifle" in 32 (use .31 cal buckshot, don't need caps) Got plenty BP and pillows (ticking) for patches, spit for lube. Shoot cheap :)

20191223-140741_orig.jpg

If the shit really hits the fan black powder rifles may be all we have.
The Wife has always told me I was being paranoid about my comfort level as far as ammo goes.
Once she saw the results of the BLM and antifa she actually asked me If I was sure I had enough.
Now days she doesnt blink when I order rounds by the thousand even with the inflated prices.
She's finally catching on...back in the early 90's I told Her immigration was going to become a real problem and it wont end well.
She told me I was being paranoid back then but she gets it now.
The thing that really opened Her eyes was the world wide mass immigration in all western countries.
You have the muslimes in Europe and the S Americans in America,this is obviously being done on purpose.
My goal is to get the Wife and I out to the boonies before shit really hits the fan.

Black powder rifles works for me. :) If shtf, there will be all kinds of firearms and ammo laying around anyway.

Ammo and guns are not going to go down in value, never have. Nothing wrong with having plenty.

Forum List

Back