Picked up some 5.56

Just ordered the ammo on Tuesday and it's going to be on my porch Friday!!!
SGA kicks ass!!!
Mine shipped UPS today. Doubt it will show tomorrow, but I am doing moving 3 tons of "Rainbow Rock out along the fence tomorrow.

What'd you end up getting?

Never mind,missed your last post.
Hey! Did you get the 500 round deal that was there the day you started this thread and not in stock the very next day when we were both arranging to buy?

I bought the thousand rounds of 5.56 in 62 grain which was in stock.
Thats what is showing up on my porch tomorrow.

Just ordered the ammo on Tuesday and it's going to be on my porch Friday!!!
SGA kicks ass!!!
Mine shipped UPS today. Doubt it will show tomorrow, but I am doing moving 3 tons of "Rainbow Rock out along the fence tomorrow.

What'd you end up getting?

Never mind,missed your last post.
Hey! Did you get the 500 round deal that was there the day you started this thread and not in stock the very next day when we were both arranging to buy?

I bought the thousand rounds of 5.56 in 62 grain which was in stock.
Thats what is showing up on my porch tomorrow.
Good purchase. Let me know what you personally think of the IMI rounds after you go to to the range. Was that 80 cents a round or did 1000 drop price more? I took your advice and got what I could get. Pretty sure the Winchesters will zero well if I zero well.

Not only did I get 1k rounds of 5.56 I also recieved 1k in Starline 5.56 brass!!!
6A6BEAA0-6DEA-4F22-B3E5-C23FF16BCA1A.jpeg

7660DDB6-B07D-4953-B2F5-FD08BB5FAE80.jpeg
4F715FCB-59FA-4C9E-85D1-5EAA6D446E24.jpeg

Thinking I might need to purchase another safe to keep the ammo in.
I dont see all of this fitting in my current safe with the 7 or 8k in ammo I already have.
And it'll free up room in the safe for more guns.

What kind of reloader do you have? Got primers to go with that brass?
Lol primers are hazmat -- $150++ fee to have them shipped -- in case they start going pop pop pop like firecrackers in the cargo hold of that passenger airliner.
In no hurry. Be glad to wait for ground transport. Any shelf life issues with primers or pretty much same as packed ammo?

Not only did I get 1k rounds of 5.56 I also recieved 1k in Starline 5.56 brass!!!
View attachment 481414
View attachment 481415View attachment 481416
Thinking I might need to purchase another safe to keep the ammo in.
I dont see all of this fitting in my current safe with the 7 or 8k in ammo I already have.
And it'll free up room in the safe for more guns.

Dillon RL550C.
1618790266374.png

Still looking for primers,powder and slugs but I'm not in that big of a hurry since I still have a shitload of ammo.
Now that I have plenty of brass I'll start focusing on the rest.

Lol primers are hazmat -- $150++ fee to have them shipped -- in case they start going pop pop pop like firecrackers in the cargo hold of that passenger airliner.
In no hurry. Be glad to wait for ground transport. Any shelf life issues with primers or pretty much same as packed ammo?

Primers last a long time in storage.
Hell,you can buy military surplus ammo thats thirty years old and it works fine.

Primers last a long time in storage.
Hell,you can buy military surplus ammo thats thirty years old and it works fine.
Son and I just bought a Hornady AP Auto Progressive near end of winter. Still getting trays and stuff. Also not in hurry. Just want to get the capability, and experience. I am an optimistic person, but it is still possible for the SHTF scenario.

Wow. I am stunned that people are excited about 80 cent a round 5.56. Did you all sleep from 2017 to 2019? Or for decades before that?
Not excited. Just need the ammo. I did not personally have a weapon that fired 5.56 during that time. Now I do, and needed the ammo for zero and fam fire. If you would like to sell some cheaper, I'll be glad to buy at lower price.

Wow. I am stunned that people are excited about 80 cent a round 5.56. Did you all sleep from 2017 to 2019? Or for decades before that?
Not excited. Just need the ammo. I did not personally have a weapon that fired 5.56 during that time. Now I do, and needed the ammo for zero and fam fire. If you would like to sell some cheaper, I'll be glad to buy at lower price.
Smokeless gunpowder (based on nitroglycerin etc.) is a perishable product not meant for long-term storage. The same chemical instability that allows gunpowder to ignite and burn to propel a bullet without additional oxygen also causes it to degrade severely in storage over the years. This is an irremediable problem and there's no way around it.

Copper-jacketed lead bullets and new or used brass cases will last years and years, but you really need fresh primers and fresh powder when it's time to load your ammunition.

Smokeless gunpowder (based on nitroglycerin etc.) is a perishable product not meant for long-term storage. The same chemical instability that allows gunpowder to ignite and burn to propel a bullet without additional oxygen also causes it to degrade severely in storage over the years. This is an irremediable problem and there's no way around it.

Copper-jacketed lead bullets and new or used brass cases will last years and years, but you really need fresh primers and fresh powder when it's time to load your ammunition.
Knowing how explosives degrade is what made me wonder about primers. Uncle had almost a whole roll of Det chord in his gun-safe, very old, was in with junk he bought at an estate auction, asked if I wanted. I tried to ignite a couple of feet from two different places in the roll but was totally inert. Had him dump it in the river to avoid questions.

That's weird. I am still loading for my handguns with 239 from 8-lb cans I bought in 1992 and not having a bit of problem. My velocity tests are the same now as they were then. I don't have a 30-06 but I routinely read about the great success people are still having with surplus WWII ammunition.

Knowing how explosives degrade is what made me wonder about primers. Uncle had almost a whole roll of Det chord in his gun-safe, very old, was in with junk he bought at an estate auction, asked if I wanted. I tried to ignite a couple of feet from two different places in the roll but was totally inert. Had him dump it in the river to avoid questions.
Typical rifle and pistol primers pop and make a loud noise like a firecracker if they go off accidentally, but otherwise they are not that dangerous or "hazardous" to handle. However, they are very sensitive and delicate. The slightest touch of moisture or grease or oil from your skin will ruin the explosive. You almost need rubber gloves or tweezers to handle them.

Typical rifle and pistol primers pop and make a loud noise like a firecracker if they go off accidentally, but otherwise they are not that dangerous or "hazardous" to handle. However, they are very sensitive and delicate. The slightest touch of moisture or grease or oil from your skin will ruin the explosive. You almost need rubber gloves or tweezers to handle them.
Will bear in mind. Initially will be learning to reload 5.56 and 9MM. This isn't strictly speaking a firearms forum, but it is a leaning and teaching forum. As we get closer and into it, certain I will have questions. Glad to know there are more experienced out here to point the way and best practices.

Forum List

Back