Picked up my new .22 pistol

I should also add to my above post that you might now find that you are quite capable of shooting a 9mm pistol or .38 caliber revolver since you are accustomed to shooting your .22. If you decide to try you might want to avoid the small, compact models as weight makes a big difference in perceived recoil.

The big .45 acp pistol can pack a lot of recoil depending on the ammo you are using. I had problems with that recoil on a Colt .45 Auto even though I was shooting .38 rounds without any issues in a revolver. I decided to try something no shooters had recommend to me. I bought a .44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk. Fortunately I was reloading my ammo at the time so I could work up from light loads to heavy loads. You can definitely shoot some hot loads in the Ruger Super Blackhawk as it is build like a brick shithouse. After shooting that weapon for a couple of months at the range I went back to the 1911 style .45 acp. I didn’t notice the recoil at all.

View attachment 744856

The secret to shooting big bore guns is knowing you will not hold it tightly in place. Single actions rock back, because of the grip, so I the recoil never bothered me much.

I have large hands. I didn't have trouble holding or firing a Glock. It just never fit my hand or pointed as naturally as a M1911. 8 rounds should be enough, initially, if I hit what I'm shooting at.

I am a big fan of revolvers. They are far from obsolete. I have a Ruger Single Six that goes with me camping and shooting. Not a fan of shooting the WMR.
The full sized 1911s definitely do point naturally which is one reason they are so popular. I have never owned a Glock but have fired a number at the Range. They just don’t feel comfortable in my hand.

The S&W Model 351 PD magnum revolver is super light weight Even loaded. Very easy to carry in the summer heat here in Florida. I don’t carry it very often but there are days I do.

The secret to shooting big bore guns is knowing you will not hold it tightly in place. Single actions rock back, because of the grip, so I the recoil never bothered me much.
I didn’t like the rock back feature so eventually I sold the Ruger Super Blackhawk and bought a S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum. I have a lot of fun shooting that gun but since I no longer reload it can be expensive.

I like to hold the gun tightly. One day, I may buy a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Magnum simply because they are to me a beautiful weapon. I may try to see if I can hold it less tightly and let it rock back as it is designed to do.

I have HUGE hands and the only time my guns get carried is when I go to the range.
For years I lived in a bad area of Tampa. I worked the graveyard shift but I legally carried a loaded revolver in my glove box. A fellow worker who knew I have a lead foot told me that If I got pulled over by a cop and he discovered I had a gun in the car, I might end up late for work. I took his advice and got a concealed carry permit.

I was only pulled over one time after for an outdated license tag. I showed the cop the concealed carry permit with my license and insurance card and he just glances at it. No big deal here in Florida. It seems just about everybody’s has a concealed carryI permit here in the Free State of Florida and this year we should get Constitutional Carry passed.

For years I lived in a bad area of Tampa. I worked the graveyard shift but I legally carried a loaded revolver in my glove box. A fellow worker who knew I have a lead foot told me that If I got pulled over by a cop and he discovered I had a gun in the car, I might end up late for work. I took his advice and got a concealed carry permit.

I was only pulled over one time after for an outdated license tag. I showed the cop the concealed carry permit with my license and insurance card and he just glances at it. No big deal here in Florida. It seems just about everybody’s has a concealed carryI permit here in the Free State of Florida and this year we should get Constitutional Carry passed.

Here in New Mexico we have extended domain laws so any vehicle be it motor driven, pedal driven or 4 legged it is legal to have a loaded weapon in, on the vehicle or your person. Of course once you "exit" said vehicle you either need to be carrying openly of have a CC permit. I believe it's the same in all the states around us.

Here in New Mexico we have extended domain laws so any vehicle be it motor driven, pedal driven or 4 legged it is legal to have a loaded weapon in, on the vehicle or your person. Of course once you "exit" said vehicle you either need to be carrying openly of have a CC permit. I believe it's the same in all the states around us.
At this time we can’t carry openly in public in Florida. That should change this year.

BTW, the Peoples Democratic Republic of Illinois now considers the P17 to be a dangerous weapon of war............ :rofl:

Forum List

Back