Should be here Saturday

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
The one I'm really looking forward to is my Portuguese Vergueiro M1904/39 AKA the Portuguese Mauser. NRA good condition. It's a Portuguese military rifle design with a combination of Mauser and Mannlicher features. Made by Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken for the Portuguese Army in 1904 then rechambered in 8mm and the barrels cut down in 1939. It's considered by some to be one of the best "mausers" ever made. This is an actual picture of the rifle I'm getting.

Portugese Mauser.jpg

I have a C&R so it's coming straight to my door.

Last edited:
Sweet!

I have 500 rounds of 50's era Turkish 8mm ammo I've been saving up for the possibility of ever finding a Mauser.

It's the hot stuff that leaves cracks around the case necks.

Sweet!

I have 500 rounds of 50's era Turkish 8mm ammo I've been saving up for the possibility of ever finding a Mauser.

I've been warned to stay away from the Turkish 8mm surplus ammo, pretty much most everyone recommends the Greek surplus 8mm ammo as best.

Sweet!

Oh and J&G Sales has some Argentine 1901 Mausers and one K98 WWII Yugo rebuild. J&G are great to work with.
C&R Guns

Oh and J&G Sales has some Argentine 1901 Mausers and one K98 WWII Yugo rebuild. J&G are great to work with.
C&R Guns

Yikes! I'll just go be poor somewhere else.

I bought a minty k98 Mauser in 1967 mail order for $15. It cost about $4 for the USPS to ship it to the door. Wish I still had it.

I've fired about a hundred rounds of that Turkish surplus through a Turkish Mauser. Didn't have any seriously cracked cases, just around the necks. But I found the ammo at a flea market for $10 a hundred rounds a few years ago.

Yikes! I'll just go be poor somewhere else.

I bought a minty k98 Mauser in 1967 mail order for $15. It cost about $4 for the USPS to ship it to the door. Wish I still had it.

I've fired about a hundred rounds of that Turkish surplus through a Turkish Mauser. Didn't have any seriously cracked cases, just around the necks. But I found the ammo at a flea market for $10 a hundred rounds a few years ago.
You should see what an all matching numbers, excellent condition WWII K98 goes for these days............ You think those prices are high..........
I paid $450 for my 1904/39, about half of what they typically go for in that condition, it's the only reason that I not only bought it I was willing to pay the extra $80 in shipping, fees and taxes. Bought it off GunBroker which I usually stay away from.

You should see what an all matching numbers, excellent condition WWII K98 goes for these days............ You think those prices are high..........
I paid $450 for my 1904/39, about half of what they typically go for in that condition, it's the only reason that I not only bought it I was willing to pay the extra $80 in shipping, fees and taxes. Bought it off GunBroker which I usually stay away from.

Yeah, I've seen them at the gun shows. Even beat-up Japanese Arisakas are bringing far more than they did a few years ago. The Type 38 in 6.5mm are the best for accuracy. I had some good loads worked up for one before I traded it off.

The one I'm really looking forward to is my Portuguese Vergueiro M1904/39 AKA the Portuguese Mauser. NRA good condition. It's a Portuguese military rifle design with a combination of Mauser and Mannlicher features. Made by Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken for the Portuguese Army in 1904 then rechambered in 8mm and the barrels cut down in 1939. It's considered by some to be one of the best "mausers" ever made. This is an actual picture of the rifle I'm getting.

View attachment 744871

I have a C&R so it's coming straight to my door.

I owned a WWII era manufactured Portuguese K98k.

Damned thing was beautiful. A friend badgered me for years so I finally sold it to him.

Then the SOB ups and dies on me! His kids ended up selling the rifle to some dealer friend of theirs so I never got it back.

I owned a WWII era manufactured Portuguese K98k.

Damned thing was beautiful. A friend badgered me for years so I finally sold it to him.

Then the SOB ups and dies on me! His kids ended up selling the rifle to some dealer friend of theirs so I never got it back.
Okay, that sucks.

It arrived a day early, requiring my signature....... Of course the delivery driver left it on the porch, rang the doorbell and left. The stock is pretty beat up but I expected that based on the seller's photos, looks to be partially put together with parts. The bore is fairly bright with sharp rifling and in the last photo you can see where the stock was repaired, the action is smooth and the safety works in off and full safety only. Based on the price it's about what I expected and I'm happy with it.

M1904-39 1.jpg

M1904-39 6.jpg

M1904-39 9.jpg

M1904-39 10.jpg

It arrived a day early, requiring my signature....... Of course the delivery driver left it on the porch, rang the doorbell and left. The stock is pretty beat up but I expected that based on the seller's photos, looks to be partially put together with parts. The bore is fairly bright with sharp rifling and in the last photo you can see where the stock was repaired, the action is smooth and the safety works in off and full safety only. Based on the price it's about what I expected and I'm happy with it.

View attachment 745405

View attachment 745406

View attachment 745407

View attachment 745408

Cool, now the work begins!

I bet if he took the barreled receiver off, there would still be traces of cosmoline in the nooks and crannies.

That stuff is a powerful aphrodisiac if rubbed on your nether parts.

Don't ask me how I know that. :04:
I did something I said I wasn't going to do....... Last night I ordered a Yugo M24/37 from the J&G Sales, the only company that still has them in stock. Supposed to be in good to very good condition, decided to get one before the prices went up again.
May or may not come with a bent bolt. Now I'll have two good Mausers.

e6ef933144ceaa1c7e70790fd2e522d8.jpg

I bet if he took the barreled receiver off, there would still be traces of cosmoline in the nooks and crannies.

That stuff is a powerful aphrodisiac if rubbed on your nether parts.

Don't ask me how I know that. :04:

I did something I said I wasn't going to do....... Last night I ordered a Yugo M24/37 from the J&G Sales, the only company that still has them in stock. Supposed to be in good to very good condition, decided to get one before the prices went up again.

It's important to have at least two, in case one breaks.....

At least that's what I tell the wife! :biggrin:

Bent bolt is best bolt. At least you could put a scope on the thing, even if it means putting one of those cheap scope mounts that clamps on to the receiver with screws.

Drilled and tapped scope mounts are the best, but most gunsmiths don't even do that anymore, unless you want to pay through the ass.

Bent bolt is best bolt. At least you could put a scope on the thing, even if it means putting one of those cheap scope mounts that clamps on to the receiver with screws.

Drilled and tapped scope mounts are the best, but most gunsmiths don't even do that anymore, unless you want to pay through the ass.
Nope, have no intention of mounting a scope on either.

Forum List

Back