Picked up my new .22 pistol

A .22LR might not be the worst choice for a woman or elderly person that might have a problem with the weight of the gun and the recoil of a larger caliber. Such a person would be able to fire off more rounds in the same amount of time, and IMHO more likely get more hits on the target. I would imagine a buncha .22LRs from inside 15 feet is more likely to save your life than a couple of misses with a .38. Especially with the higher velocity HP bullets hittin' your noggin from close range. A .22 Mag might be even better.

much more difficult than a 22 -----which is not
difficult at all thru the relatively soft skull of a child
Then don't point it at a child and store it properly.

I own 22 firearms. 4 of them were bought used or handed down to me. I cannot speak to them. But of the other 18 guns, only 1 has ever been pointed towards another person.

The .22 kills more than any other round.
The question is how good is the .22 round in stopping an attacker.

Because of the lack of recoil you may be able to hit your attacker more frequently than with a higher powered round such as a .45 acp. Your attacker may die the next day but if all you accomplished by shooting him was to piss him off even more — you could end up dead or in the same hospital as your attacker with your gun shoved up your ass.

If all I had was a .22 handgun to stop an attacker, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it but I would prefer to have at least a .38+P revolver or a 9 mm pistol.

I used my Ruger .22 target pistol to learn the basics of shooting at a reasonable price. Eventually I moved on to a more powerful handgun for home and street self defense.

1672872096688.jpeg

BTW, when I said the grip was pretty good I meant it's not great but could be worse. If the grip was any wider it would be boxy like a Glock and I'd have regretted buying it.
I'm a KT fan-boy but it was the grip that caused me to pick one up and put it right back down. It had a terrible feel to it.

I always thought that the perfect balance between weight and performance was the now discontinued S&W 422....I have a 4" fixed sight (suppressor host) and a 6" with adjustable sights like this one.

They can still be had for between $300-$400 on GunPorker.....They use S&W Model 41 mags.

3651850_09_s_w_422_semi_automatic_640.jpg

Because of the lack of recoil you may be able to hit your attacker more frequently than with a higher powered round such as a .45 acp. Your attacker may die the next day but if all you accomplished by shooting him was to piss him off even more — you could end up dead or in the same hospital as your attacker with your gun shoved up your ass.

If all I had was a .22 handgun to stop an attacker, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it but I would prefer to have at least a .38+P revolver or a 9 mm pistol.

I used my Ruger .22 target pistol to learn the basics of shooting at a reasonable price. Eventually I moved on to a more powerful handgun for home and street self defense.

View attachment 744792

View attachment 744792

I'll just say this, it all depends on what you can handle. The 1st gun I ever bought was a .45, and it was just too heavy to shoot with and the recoil was too much. A bad guy might've been able to shove that gun up my ass before I could hit him with the 2nd or 3rd shot if I missed him with the 1st one. Which I thought was too likely, so I downsized to an SW M&P .22, it's lite and I have some extra magazines for it so if somebody breaks into my house I'm going to start shooting. Inside a house, any gun is going to sound pretty loud and most bad guys will get the hell outta Dodge when bullets start heading their way. Are they going to stop and say, wait a minute that's just a .22? I doubt it, not many guys wanna get shot, even with a mere .22. The .22 doesn't have the stopping power of a larger caliber, but I can put 5 or 6 rounds in you pretty quick out of my 1st 10 rounds from short range, so all in all I'm happy with what I got.

Plus, it doubles as a decent carry gun.

I'll just say this, it all depends on what you can handle. The 1st gun I ever bought was a .45, and it was just too heavy to shoot with and the recoil was too much. A bad guy might've been able to shove that gun up my ass before I could hit him with the 2nd or 3rd shot if I missed him with the 1st one. Which I thought was too likely, so I downsized to an SW M&P .22, it's lite and I have some extra magazines for it so if somebody breaks into my house I'm going to start shooting. Inside a house, any gun is going to sound pretty loud and most bad guys will get the hell outta Dodge when bullets start heading their way. Are they going to stop and say, wait a minute that's just a .22? I doubt it, not many guys wanna get shot, even with a mere .22. The .22 doesn't have the stopping power of a larger caliber, but I can put 5 or 6 rounds in you pretty quick out of my 1st 10 rounds from short range, so all in all I'm happy with what I got.

If someone asks me to teach them how to shoot, I start with a .22 then move up.

If you are happy with the .22 that’s fine with me. There is a good chance your attacker will chose to run if you start shooting him with your pistol. From experience I know a .22 caliber weapons looks a lot larger when it is pointed at you.

Funny, none of mine have..........
They have their "moments". It's almost like they crank them out and then let the fan-boys find the warts, send them back to be fixed, and upgrade them on the fly. Customer service is Top-Notch though.

The very best gun they ever made was the P-32....Flawless. The P3AT was plagued with problems when it first came out. The P-11 was OK as was the S2K.

This is a great resourse for trouble shooting.

Community for Kel-Tec Shooters

View attachment 744831In Ca. We can’t get the Glock 44 so I built my own Glock in 22 LR .
Ergonomics is the only reason I won't own Glocks but there are a multitude of reports that the new Glock 44 will only work properly with very specific types of .22 ammo. Seems it has a lot of fail to feed issues. Neither that or the fact that my hand is not built to hold on to a 2x4 with a barrel attached to it means Glocks suck, they don't, they're very good, typically reliable pistols. If one fit my hand I would probably own one.

Ergonomics is the only reason I won't own Glocks but there are a multitude of reports that the new Glock 44 will only work properly with very specific types of .22 ammo. Seems it has a lot of fail to feed issues. Neither that or the fact that my hand is not built to hold on to a 2x4 with a barrel attached to it means Glocks suck, they don't, they're very good, typically reliable pistols. If one fit my hand I would probably own one.
Glock manufactures some pistols with a single stack magazine that makes the weapon much easier to hold if you have small hands. Of course that does mean you give up the opportunity to fill the air with lead.

I also have small hands. I personally like revolvers and legally carry concealed a S&W Model 642 38+P, a S&W Model 60 .357 Magnum, or a S&W Model 351 PD .22 Magnum. All small j-frame revolvers.

Single stack pistols like 1911 style .45 autos work well for me too.

Glock manufactures some pistols with a single stack magazine that makes the weapon much easier to hold if you have small hands. Of course that does mean you give up the opportunity to fill the air with lead.

I also have small hands. I personally like revolvers and legally carry concealed a S&W Model 642 38+P, a S&W Model 60 .357 Magnum, or a S&W Model 351 PD .22 Magnum. All small j-frame revolvers.

I have HUGE hands and the only time my guns get carried is when I go to the range.

Last edited:
I like full size 22 Pistols ( Glock 17/22/31 Frame with TSG 22 Conversion unit ) so I don’t have to beat up my 1954 Ruger Standard ( Mk 1 )

I have large hands. I didn't have trouble holding or firing a Glock. It just never fit my hand or pointed as naturally as a M1911. 8 rounds should be enough, initially, if I hit what I'm shooting at.

I am a big fan of revolvers. They are far from obsolete. I have a Ruger Single Six that goes with me camping and shooting. Not a fan of shooting the WMR.

I should also add to my above post that you might now find that you are quite capable of shooting a 9mm pistol or .38 caliber revolver since you are accustomed to shooting your .22. If you decide to try you might want to avoid the small, compact models as weight makes a big difference in perceived recoil.

The big .45 acp pistol can pack a lot of recoil depending on the ammo you are using. I had problems with that recoil on a Colt .45 Auto even though I was shooting .38 rounds without any issues in a revolver. I decided to try something no shooters had recommend to me. I bought a .44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk. Fortunately I was reloading my ammo at the time so I could work up from light loads to heavy loads. You can definitely shoot some hot loads in the Ruger Super Blackhawk as it is build like a brick shithouse. After shooting that weapon for a couple of months at the range I went back to the 1911 style .45 acp. I didn’t notice the recoil at all.

1672890819122.jpeg

Forum List

Back