Pew Research Center and Gallup have shown, meanwhile, that the share of adults not reading any book in a given year nearly tripled between 1978 and 20

BUUULLLSHIIITTT! Get out of here with your lazy platitudes.

Lazy platitudes? To Kill A Mockingbird shows you the thinking at the time and place it takes place. It shows the evil and the good in the world. It shows a father teaching his children what is right. Not as it is today. But in Alabama in 1960.

I think older (age of books) folks are a lot more well-rounded.....I mean here we are with the knowledge of the ages at our fingertips and by and large the post internet generations are as "dumb" as a post.

I remember waiting in anticipation for the next in the series of Foxfire books to come out or ordering Trapping and other outdoors "how to" books from the Herters catalog.

Oh sure if I want to know something about a particular subject in all those books it's now at my fingertips but having read them all I'm a lot better off.

It's stored away in my mind to recall when needed.....Then the internet is great for fleshing out the details of what I may not have remembered on a subject.....Had I not read the books I would have nothing to recall.

Even magazines were useful back in the day.....We had Fur-Fish & Game in our home for 50 years and we would read it cover to cover. There are still boxes of them up at my mom's place.

R.954425c9c9f44688bb08dddb32007419

H5113-L148165081.JPG

fur_fish_game_december_1977-2015_12_14_10_55_20.jpg

Deer love persimmons but a lot of folks don't even know that or use it to their advantage.

The Foxfire books were amazing!! Such information and such a great look into the lives of those who lived off the land.

I was never a trapper, but I hunted and was an avid shooter. Being able to read Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith and others taught me so much.

Lazy platitudes? To Kill A Mockingbird shows you the thinking at the time and place it takes place. It shows the evil and the good in the world. It shows a father teaching his children what is right. Not as it is today. But in Alabama in 1960.
Stop being corny.

Corny? If you read my post as corny, I don't know what to tell you, other than to open your eyes to reality.
Yes, your romanticizing is corny and obvious. Just be a real person. No need to give me your predictable movie take. That shit is boring and also useless for this discussion.

This discussion is about how much people read today. We read WAAAAYYY the fuck more. Why it needs to be your desired content is beyond my understanding.

Yes, your romanticizing is corny and obvious. Just be a real person. No need to give me your predictable movie take. That shit is boring and also useless for this discussion.

This discussion is about how much people read today. We read WAAAAYYY the fuck more. Why it needs to be your desired content is beyond my understanding.

The fact that you think scanning snippets of news and arguing on a political website is the same as reading a well written book is truly sad.

Someone else brought up To Kill Mockingbird. But it is an excellent novel. I have read it twice and even met the author.

What you call corny and obvious was reality for blacks in the 1940s and 1950s. Do you actually think blacks were not railroaded in our courts back then?

Or would you prefer the opinions of the posters here? I have seen several posters say that blacks should still be slaves or be sent back to Africa. I have even seen 2 posters here defend the lynching of Emmitt Till.

The fact that a large portion of the population has not read a book since high school is a sad state of affairs.

The fact that you think scanning snippets of news and arguing on a political website is the same as reading a well written book is truly sad.

Someone else brought up To Kill Mockingbird. But it is an excellent novel. I have read it twice and even met the author.

What you call corny and obvious was reality for blacks in the 1940s and 1950s. Do you actually think blacks were not railroaded in our courts back then?

Or would you prefer the opinions of the posters here? I have seen several posters say that blacks should still be slaves or be sent back to Africa. I have even seen 2 posters here defend the lynching of Emmitt Till.

The fact that a large portion of the population has not read a book since high school is a sad state of affairs.
Oh my god, shut up with that nonsense. The cornball preaching overload is too much.

Who in the fuck ever said that no books are read anymore? Are you stupid or something? We may read LESS books, but we read more overall and have a FAR greater grasp of the world around us as a result.

Oh my god, shut up with that nonsense. The cornball preaching overload is too much.

Who in the fuck ever said that no books are read anymore? Are you stupid or something? We may read LESS books, but we read more overall and have a FAR greater grasp of the world around us as a result.

You ask if I am stupid, and yet you apparently have no grasp of what the thread is about. The OP is about the fact that more people have not read a book since high school. That is not reading fewer books. That is reading NO books, sometimes for decades.

I am not preaching. I am discussing a topic. Which seems to offend you. I think I have a spare 15 minutes in December I can worry about that. Oops, no.

If you don't like what I am saying you are welcome to ignore me. But I am not stopping.

You ask if I am stupid, and yet you apparently have no grasp of what the thread is about. The OP is about the fact that more people have not read a book since high school. That is not reading fewer books. That is reading NO books, sometimes for decades.

I am not preaching. I am discussing a topic. Which seems to offend you. I think I have a spare 15 minutes in December I can worry about that. Oops, no.

If you don't like what I am saying you are welcome to ignore me. But I am not stopping.
Hey idiot, you jumped into my posts, not the other way around. More people may not have read a book since HS, but that doesnt mean people are reading less, which has been my position since the beginning. As for what reading is more important, you have not made an effective case for why books are SOOOOO much more important than all other reading. Until you can do that, spare me your Hallmark movie lectures.

Pew Research Center and Gallup have shown, meanwhile, that the share of adults not reading any book in a given year nearly tripled between 1978 and 2014.
snip
From 1955 to 1995, TV time exploded while weekly reading time declined. “Competition from television turned out to be the most evident cause of the decline in reading,” the authors of that study concluded.

Its a lie the wokeism caused the decline in reading.
By Media Matters for America | WASHINGTON – On her July 20 broadcast, Fox News host Laura Ingraham denigrated recruitment efforts by the U.S. Defense Department labeling it ‘wokeism” and attacking the LGBTQ community saying that the U.S. military is using an LGBTQ agenda.

nothing makes me madder, it's all Biden fault, don't you know. It's all the democrat's fault, don't you know!!
She had a show on tonight with republicans, I kid you know and she blamed the decline in reading on wokeism.
She's lies all the time.
FFS, learn to write!

Hey idiot, you jumped into my posts, not the other way around. More people may not have read a book since HS, but that doesnt mean people are reading less, which has been my position since the beginning. As for what reading is more important, you have not made an effective case for why books are SOOOOO much more important than all other reading. Until you can do that, spare me your Hallmark movie lectures.

Awww, did I hurt your feelings?

As I said before, if you cannot see the difference between reading actual books, and scanning some Reader's Digest version of news, I can't help you.

Awww, did I hurt your feelings?

As I said before, if you cannot see the difference between reading actual books, and scanning some Reader's Digest version of news, I can't help you.
Who said i cant see the difference? Ive read MANY books, but being informed about the world around you is a fuck of a lot more important than reading "To Kill a Mocking Bird".

Who said i cant see the difference? Ive read MANY books, but being informed about the world around you is a fuck of a lot more important than reading "To Kill a Mocking Bird".

So being informed about current events, while ignoring the things that came before and created those events is ok?

And no one said it was either/or. Just that it is a mistake and a tragedy to never read a book after high school.

It is worth noting that the article does not even state that people are reading less. It states they are reading less for PLEASURE.

There is massive value in a good novel. That does not mean there is less value in technical reading or reading for information.

Forum List

Back