Palestine: the things you don’t hear about

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Laughing is a way to resist”: Annemarie Jacir on her father-son wedding drama Wajib | Sight & Sound

Annemarie Jacir is a trailblazing filmmaker: her 2003 short film Like Twenty Impossibleswas the first Arab short to be officially selected for Cannes; her 2008 feature Salt of This Sea was the first from a Palestinian woman. Both it and 2012’s award-winning When I Saw You were her country’s official Oscar Foreign Language Film submissions, forging more new artistic territory.

Yet her work shows that she has a profound connection with, and clear view of, the importance of history and its political and social obligations. In fact her new film Wajib roughly translates as ‘social duty’, focused on the age-old tradition of father and son delivering family wedding invitations by hand to their local community in Nazareth, Palestine’s largest city and the only one inside Israel’s borders.

Inspired by witnessing her own husband’s wajib, it’s a very funny and impassioned ‘odd couple’ road movie of sorts, as affable, traditional father Abu Shadi and his fiery ex-pat son Shadi – played by real life father and son Mohammad and Saleh Bakri – fulfill their obligations, while buried family tensions and revelations belatedly come to light.

9C0A899B-DA12-4CE2-A9BF-27F44431147C.jpeg

World's wealthiest "refugees"

I've seen all that stuff, huge mansions included, whilst driving around the WB, pre Arafat.

Rylah, sometimes I think you're a mind reader.

I was going to post those villas.

Please do, I've been saying this many times - Arabs in Israel live in houses and drive cars most Israeli Jews can't afford.

I remember once driving through the rocky routes of mt. Gilboa, there were about 10 sports cars crossing an anti-cattle bridge - from Ferraris to AMG's all new, all close to the ground...all belonged to Arabs, and they couldn't care less about driving a sports car on those rocks.

This is Kfar Rameh, an Israeli Arab village...those 2-3 level houses are usually per a single family :
20140121_125909_(Large).jpg

20140121_111300_(Large).jpg

This is Daliat el-Carmel, a Druze village in the north of Israel:
TK4A0168.jpg

Daliah, another Druze village in Israel:
drzMainImagex.jpg

Compared to that most Israeli Jews live in regular 2-4 room apartments, and drive cheap Asian cars.

So much for the perpetual "refuge victims"...

Last edited:
Typical propaganda.
I have no problem with Muslims other than their practiced bigotry towards Jews and Christians.
Their celebration of death to America and Israel.
The fact that they are part of a religious cult.
The fact that every Muslim country we try to help ends up murdering our troops.

Other than that I think they're cool.

On the Border Between Israeli, Palestinian and Jordanian Cuisine

https://www.haaretz.com/food/.premium.MAGAZINE-on-the-border-between-israeli-palestinian-and-jordanian-cuisine-1.5883328

Attending a Hubeiza Festival and dining in Sufra, an Amman restaurant, and sampling the food at Rutenberg in northern Israel, proves the artificiality of political borders

The short, deceptive Middle Eastern winter is the Jordan Valley’s most beautiful season. The dusty, yellow mountain slopes are covered with thin green down, and along the highways that cross the Jordan, on both sides of the river – in Jordan, Israel and the Palestinian Authority – green and yellow carpets of wild mustard and hubeiza (mallow) grow.

“For me, the Jordan Valley is a single geographical and historical unit, from Tiberias to Aqaba,” says Mohamed Attiyeh, a Jordanian businessman of Palestinian origin. Attiyeh is the founder of the Children of the Valley NGO and the Hubeiza Festival, which is taking place in Jordan for the third consecutive year.

“The political borders separating the two sides of the river are artificial borders, which were determined only in the second half of the 20th century, after thousands of years during which the residents of the region shared the same lifestyle and the same fate.”

98934A9D-9545-4C5B-BDC1-5A0310DEC51B.jpeg

Growing up in a Muslim, Palestinian-refugee home in Kuwait, how could he have ever known that one single conversation would turn his world upside down? Experience Mark Halawa's incredible story in this Israel Collective film.

On the Border Between Israeli, Palestinian and Jordanian Cuisine

https://www.haaretz.com/food/.premium.MAGAZINE-on-the-border-between-israeli-palestinian-and-jordanian-cuisine-1.5883328

Attending a Hubeiza Festival and dining in Sufra, an Amman restaurant, and sampling the food at Rutenberg in northern Israel, proves the artificiality of political borders

Thanks, and thanks a lot for that thread. Lots of teaching moments, and there was a lot to learn throughout. Hope you'll keep it up.

Student films reveal life in Palestine
Skidmore College students gained a glimpse of what life is like in Palestine from a young person’s perspective at the screening event “Palestinian Voices” on March 28 at the Tang Teaching Museum.

The screening was the second in a four-part series and featured seven films created and directed by student filmmakers or recent graduates from universities around the world. Each film showed a different angle of daily life in Palestine.

Sarah Friedland, director of the MDOCS Storytellers’ Institute, collaborated with 10 different universities in the West Bank to create an “open call” for films. Speaking about her goal for the series, she said she wanted to “represent different locations in the West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza and show the variation within the lives that are lived in those places.”

Friedland also said, “This [area] is a very complex place with a variety of different lives … much more than we normally see represented in the media here.”

Students from all class years attended the screening, and many intend to use it as a jump-start for further conversations.

“The films did a great job of showcasing a variety of different aspects of Palestinian life and sharing stories from refugees, prisoners, parents and those struggling to simply make a living,” said Wyeth Taylor ’19. “My favorite film was Memory of a Fish. Told from a child’s perspective, it shared an innocent and hopeful outlook, unlike the darker tone of some of the other films.”

Alana Pogostin ’20 said her previous travels and experiences in Israel inspired her to attend. After gaining multiple perspectives from natives in Tel Aviv, she wanted to learn more so she could better understand the Palestinian perspective.

B2DD906A-346F-4E24-93EC-2CBA8D0C94D6.jpeg

Why can’t you allow even one thread to say positive things about Palestinians without out trolling it? I count numerous pro-Israeli threads. Go wreck one of those instead,
Thank you. There are already several "Brand Israel" threads where Israel implies that it is the only country improving lives around the world.

Palestine runs on very slim resources determined by Israel. Any improvements or even surviving requires considerable ingenuity.

Israel, on the other hand, is showered with foreign aid, foreign donors, and corporate and academic cooperation. Of course it will have a higher level of achievement.

Thank you for honoring what the Palestinians have achieved while working with almost nothing.

Why can’t you allow even one thread to say positive things about Palestinians without out trolling it? I count numerous pro-Israeli threads. Go wreck one of those instead,

The irony is You say this before immediately posting another film picturing Israel as the source of all evil.
I hear Pallywood is a lucrative business, when does Your personal editorial open?

Thank you. There are already several "Brand Israel" threads where Israel implies that it is the only country improving lives around the world.

Palestine runs on very slim resources determined by Israel. Any improvements or even surviving requires considerable ingenuity.

Israel, on the other hand, is showered with foreign aid, foreign donors, and corporate and academic cooperation. Of course it will have a higher level of achievement.

Thank you for honoring what the Palestinians have achieved while working with almost nothing.

Palestinians are showering in oil-money from Muslim countries.
Palestinians is the only group insisting that millionaire fashion models in the US deserve welfare aid.
Palestinians run exclusive aid agency UNRWA, which steals billions aid from actual refugees in need.

There's nothing to honor here.

Dr6lMKIU4AAU1SK.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back