Palestine Loss of Land 1946 - 2000

RoccoR

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
et al,

While looking for something else in the Map Arena, I just happened to stumble on this. I'm sure that all of you have seen this map before. But I thought this was an interesting take on it.

College Politics Textbook Includes Debunked Israel-Palestine ‘Map That Lies’ — and Publisher Responds
Mar. 2, 2016 by Sharona Schwartz • The Blaze •

The McGraw-Hill Education book publisher said Wednesday that it would temporarily stop selling one of its college world politics textbooks so that it could review a previously discredited series of maps about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that was included in its pages.

In October, MSNBC apologized for airing the nearly identical four-map graphic, which it later called “completely wrong.”

The publisher’s decision came after pro-Israel blogger Elder of Ziyon reported Tuesday that the map series appeared on page 123 of McGraw-Hill’s college textbook “Global Politics: Engaging a Complex World.”

The graphic purports to show how Israel has taken Palestinian land over five decades.

The map has been widely used by Israel detractors, and has been widely discredited. (Image source: Elder of Ziyon)

“Pending a review, we are placing a hold on sales of the book,” Catherine Mathis, chief communications officer for McGraw-Hill Education, told TheBlaze via email in response to a request for comment.

The book – which retails at online booksellers at $134.21 — presented territories described as “Palestinian land” in green and “Jewish land” in blue in 1946 and 1947 and described the panels as showing the “Palestinian loss of land” over time.

Two more maps dated after Israel’s establishment as an independent state in 1948 denoted the territories as “Palestinian land” and “Israeli land.”

The problem is that Palestinians never actually had sovereignty over any land before Israel withdrew from Gaza and Jericho in 1994 as part of the Oslo Accords.

The blogger who writes under the pen name Elder of Ziyon has taken to calling the graphic “The Map that Lies.” It is often used by detractors of Israel trying to make a case that Israel has over the years vastly expanded its control over Palestinian land.

“The amount of ‘Palestinian land’ hasn’t shrunk — it was created for the first time ever,” Elder of Ziyon observed, referring to Israel’s withdrawal from West Bank and Gaza territories under the Oslo Accords.

Contrary to the McGraw-Hill textbook’s map presentation, prior to the 1967 Six Day War, Jordan controlled the West Bank and East Jerusalem, and Egypt controlled the Gaza Strip. Palestinians living under Jordanian control were Jordanian citizens.

Furthermore, the entire territory comprising where both Jews and Arabs lived under control of the British Mandatory government between World War I and World War II was called “Palestine.” In fact, numerous Jewish initiatives before 1948 used the “Palestine” name, including the Palestine Post (the precursor to today’s Jerusalem Post) and the Palestine Orchestra (the precursor to the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra).
I hope McGraw-Hill doesn't take a bath on this.

Most Respectfully,
R

The apartheid state of Israel is the only country I know of which has never declared any fixed borders.

This tactic makes any discussion about what land Israel owns or controls a moot point.

Israel just shifts the borders according to it's current political agenda.

Which makes a coherent and lasting peace process with the Palestinians basically impossible. ...... :cool:

I hope that this is actually investigated and not just go with Israeli propaganda.

Does anyone know of a set of maps available online which shows a more accurate depiction of the events of the conflict?

I hope that this is actually investigated and not just go with Israeli propaganda.

The problem with these maps is that they conflate privately owned land and sovereign territory as though they were the same thing. They also co-opt the name "Palestine" to mean "Arab Muslim national self-determination" rather than just the name of a place on a map.

The apartheid state of Israel is the only country I know of which has never declared any fixed borders.

This tactic makes any discussion about what land Israel owns or controls a moot point.

Which makes a coherent and lasting peace process with the Palestinians basically impossible. ...... :cool:

WRONG AGAIN sunni troll. The borders were delineated by the LoN in 1920 and called the NATIONal home of the Jews. So when are the Palestinians going to declare their borders that do not infringe on another nations land, as this is contrary to the UN charter and International law?

The problem with these maps is that they conflate privately owned land and sovereign territory as though they were the same thing. They also co-opt the name "Palestine" to mean "Arab Muslim national self-determination" rather than just the name of a place on a map.
I don't know why the Palestinians use this map. It is very misleading.

WRONG AGAIN sunni troll. The borders were delineated by the LoN in 1920 and called the NATIONal home of the Jews. So when are the Palestinians going to declare their borders that do not infringe on another nations land, as this is contrary to the UN charter and International law?
That is incorrect. It was the Palestinian national home. This would also apply to immigrating Jews who became Palestinian citizens.

That is incorrect. It was the Palestinian national home. This would also apply to immigrating Jews who became Palestinian citizens.

It was under the British Mandate.

Stop telling fairy stories.

Sunni Man, et al,

I don't believe you understand.

(COMMENT)

The Jewish State of Israel are geographic lines of political entities which represents the limit to which a governments, exercises and imposes full rights, powers and authority to extend it control.

It is not necessary for any country to announce set borders when it is immediately obvious to the casual observer, where the enforcement begins.

• The political existence of the state is independent of recognition by the other states.
• The recognition of a state merely signifies that the state which recognizes it accepts the personality of the other with all the rights and duties determined by international law.
• Recognition is unconditional and irrevocable.

(COMMENT)

Amazingly enough, it is only the Arab Palestinians that do not know where the International Boundary is. If you read Article 3 and Annex 1a, of the Jordan-Israel Peace Treaty, you might ask where the West Bank is? And, if you read Article II, Treaty of Peace between Egypt and Israel, you might ask where the Gaza Strip is?

Israel enforces control where is has control. It does not shift its borders. The entire reason for the Egyptians and Syrians attacked in 1973 (Yom Kippur Surprise Attack) was to attempt to to win back territory lost to Israel during the third Arab-Israeli war, in 1967. Control extends to the Forward Edge of the Battle Area (front between opposing sides form, the front line is the area where the armies are engaged in conflict, or FEBA).

Most Respectfully,
R

You took the Israeli apologists to school.:thup:

WOW! Braindead. Rocco's post schooled the anit-Israel cabal but, as usual, some are just not bright enough to understand what has been said so I will explain in terms a 9 yr old would comprehend:

The maps are BOGUS because Israel took no land from "Palestine."

Woo ... we just can't fix stupid.

Sunni Man, et al,

(COMMENT)

The Jewish State of Israel are geographic lines of political entities which represents the limit to which a governments, exercises and imposes full rights, powers and authority to extend it control.

It is not necessary for any country to announce set borders when it is immediately obvious to the casual observer, where the enforcement begins.

• The political existence of the state is independent of recognition by the other states.
• The recognition of a state merely signifies that the state which recognizes it accepts the personality of the other with all the rights and duties determined by international law.

(COMMENT)

Amazingly enough, it is only the Arab Palestinians that do not know where the International Boundary is. If you read Article 3 and Annex 1a, of the Jordan-Israel Peace Treaty, you might ask where the West Bank is? And, if you read Article II, Treaty of Peace between Egypt and Israel, you might ask where the Gaza Strip is?

Israel enforces control where is has control. It does not shift its borders. The entire reason for the Egyptians and Syrians attacked in 1973 (Yom Kippur Surprise Attack) was to attempt to to win back territory lost to Israel during the third Arab-Israeli war, in 1967. Control extends to the Forward Edge of the Battle Area (front between opposing sides form, the front line is the area where the armies are engaged in conflict, or FEBA).

Most Respectfully,
R
Capturing and holding territory by force is contrary to international law.

Sunni Man, et al,

(COMMENT)

(COMMENT)

Most Respectfully,
R
This is not the first time that I've seen that map on this Board. Kondor has posted it numerous times. Except for East Jerusalem, Israel has not officially annexed any other land on the West Bank. So the map is misleading and not accurate.

P F Tinmore, et al,

Well, that is not exactly what the charter says.

Sunni Man, et al,

(COMMENT)

(COMMENT)

Most Respectfully,
R
(COMMENT)

What the Charter says is: Article 2(4) Chapter 1, UN Charter:

All Members shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the Purposes of the United Nations.

The Charter does not mention a thing about captured territory or holding territory. The Article 2(4) imposes a strict prohibition on the "threat to use force" and the "use of force itself:" except under two exceptions:

• The inherent’ right to individual and collective self-defense recognized by Article 51 of the Charter.
• Enforcement measures involving the use of force sanctioned by the Security Council under Chapter VII.

In very early 1948, the Arab Liberation Army (ALA) began infiltrating into the territory under Mandate in preparation for an immediate attack, the spearhead of the assault. This was confirmed by LTG Glubb and later by the Arab themselves.

Whether you are talking about the 1948 war, or the 1967 War when Jordanian Artillery opened fire on Israeli Positions inside Israel, the Arabs where the instigators. Similarly the same can be said for the 1973 Yom Kippur attack.

Most Respectfully,
R

P F Tinmore, et al,

Can you show me where the Allied Powers acknowledged that?

(COMMENT)

I've heard it called by a number of different names.

Prior to 1918
• The Vilayet of Syria
• The Vilayet of Beirut
• The Mutasarrifiyet of Jerusalem
After 1918
• Enemy Occupied Territory
After 1922
• The territory under which the Mandate Applied

But I'm not familiar with the Palestinian National Home.

Most Respectfully,
R

P F Tinmore, et al,

Well, that is not exactly what the charter says.

Sunni Man, et al,

(COMMENT)

(COMMENT)

Most Respectfully,
R
(COMMENT)

All Members shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the Purposes of the United Nations.

The Charter does not mention a thing about captured territory or holding territory. The Article 2(4) imposes a strict prohibition on the "threat to use force" and the "use of force itself:" except under two exceptions:

• The inherent’ right to individual and collective self-defense recognized by Article 51 of the Charter.
• Enforcement measures involving the use of force sanctioned by the Security Council under Chapter VII.

In very early 1948, the Arab Liberation Army (ALA) began infiltrating into the territory under Mandate in preparation for an immediate attack, the spearhead of the assault. This was confirmed by LTG Glubb and later by the Arab themselves.

Whether you are talking about the 1948 war, or the 1967 War when Jordanian Artillery opened fire on Israeli Positions inside Israel, the Arabs where the instigators. Similarly the same can be said for the 1973 Yom Kippur attack.

Most Respectfully,
R

• Enforcement measures involving the use of force sanctioned by the Security Council under Chapter VII.​

That is correct and that is my point.

P F Tinmore, et al,

Can you show me where the Allied Powers acknowledged that?

(COMMENT)

I've heard it called by a number of different names.

Prior to 1918
• The Vilayet of Syria
• The Vilayet of Beirut
• The Mutasarrifiyet of Jerusalem
After 1918
• Enemy Occupied Territory
After 1922
• The territory under which the Mandate Applied

But I'm not familiar with the Palestinian National Home.

Most Respectfully,
R
You must have missed it.

Forum List

Back