Our pleasure seeking lifestyle is actually causing stress and mental illness.

it's only an 8 minute video

The wealthiest most prosperous countries in the world have the highest rates of suicide, depression, anxiety and perceptions of physical pain.

Food for thought.

Below is the formula I use for a stress free(as possible) lifestyle.

1) Stay @ least semi-employed in in a physically active job for as long as possible as 100% retirement comes with it's own problems.

2) Locate in a rural or country(acreage) LOW TAX setting(slooow lifestyle).

3) Avoid face to face 'over'-socializing as heavy socializing can/will go political(stress) on a person.

4) Have an enjoyable @ home trade you can make some $$$$$ at.

5) Keep pets that you just can't wait to be with.

6) Stay active on USMB!

7) Make sure your in tight & close friends share your interests!

Remember that in America we live with an inflationary debt spending type of financial system. Keep out of debt as much as possible for in this type of financial system inflation is your worst enemy.

Below is the formula I use for a stress free(as possible) lifestyle.

1) Stay @ least semi-employed in in a physically active job for as long as possible as 100% retirement comes with it's own problems.

2) Locate in a rural or country(acreage) LOW TAX setting(slooow lifestyle).

3) Avoid face to face 'over'-socializing as heavy socializing can/will go political(stress) on a person.

4) Have an enjoyable @ home trade you can make some $$$$$ at.

5) Keep pets that you just can't wait to be with.

6) Stay active on USMB!

7) Make sure your in tight & close friends share your interests!

Remember that in America we live with an inflationary debt spending type of financial system. Keep out of debt as much as possible for in this type of financial system inflation is your worst enemy.
All good.

I'll disagree on the 100% retirement part.

I retired at 51 any my was was 50. I am not bored as I have far more time to do all the things that took a back burner when I was ruining my business. I play music more often my wife discovers she has a talent for painting and stained glass we spend a lot of time outdoors with the pups and we both exercise daily.

I have a feeling it's a majority.
I think you are wrong.

Most people in nursing homes are over the age of 65 and the majority of those are significantly older. Just knowing that and the generation they came from I think it would be pretty safe to say that most of the women and men that are currently in nursing homes had at least one child.

According to this article people are actually forced into nursing homes by the government programs meant to help them in their old age

I think you are wrong.

Most people in nursing homes are over the age of 65 and the majority of those are significantly older. Just knowing that and the generation they came from I think it would be pretty safe to say that most of the women and men that are currently in nursing homes had at least one child.

According to this article people are actually forced into nursing homes by the government programs meant to help them in their old age

I'm talking about the many "assisted care" places I see around NYC, not true nursing homes.

I'm talking about the many "assisted care" places I see around NYC, not true nursing homes.
It's still quite an assumption on your part.

The truth of the matter is kids are not inviting their aging parents to live with them anymore

balanceit's only an 8 minute video

The wealthiest most prosperous countries in the world have the highest rates of suicide, depression, anxiety and perceptions of physical pain.

Food for thought.

I'm not sure I agree with the physical pain-pleasure continuum. Since both can occur independently, it does not follow that a balance between them is the desired outcome. However, the other factors of addiction and resistance do contribute to emotional dysphoria by creating pain and lessening pleasure.

While I doubt that fasting has any long term benefits, I do believe that moderation in pleasurable inputs achieves the greatest overall happiness. For example, enjoying a moderately sized meal results in greater long term satisfaction than overeating the same meal and suffering the consequnces. The same applies to almost all other human activities.

And do you find those little pleasures give you not only a deeper but longer lasting sense of enjoyment. I know they do for me.
Absolutely. You have to live on the water to understand the peace of it. I was not blessed with social graces. I have no musical talent. Can't sing or play an instrument. Can't dance. My way of bringing joy to others is taking them fishing or hunting. There is a deep satisfaction to taking people out on the lake. I take happy people to do happy thing. I help them create life long memories. This big nosed old broke bastard is in thousands of other people's family vacation photos. Not only will they remember that great day on the lake or that first fish they caught, they will remember it was me that provided that for them. Not only will they remember me but they will remember me fondly.

Food for thought.

I think her take on it is partially true. But it's much more than that. I know you won't like my take on it (because it brings in spirituality) but it boils down to people trying to find happiness and fulfillment in things that can never truly satisfy. It's like trying to run on the wrong type of fuel. It just doesn't work.

This quote by C.S Lewis sums it up, iyam:

“Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.”​
— C.S. Lewis​

But I don't want to take this thread off topic or debate this right now, so I'll leave it at that.

Carry on! :)

I'm not sure I agree with the physical pain-pleasure continuum. Since both can occur independently, it does not follow that a balance between them is the desired outcome. However, the other factors of addiction and resistance do contribute to emotional dysphoria by creating pain and lessening pleasure.

While I doubt that fasting has any long term benefits, I do believe that moderation in pleasurable inputs achieves the greatest overall happiness. For example, enjoying a moderately sized meal results in greater long term satisfaction than overeating the same meal and suffering the consequnces. The same applies to almost all other human activities.

Homeostasis is the preferred state of the human body.

When pleasure centers get overloaded and overused the body is desensitized to pleasure which then results in the need for more and more things that give that dopamine hit.

If you ever knew a heroin addict you would see this happen and you would also notice that a heroin addict thinks the smallest bit of discomfort is pure agony.

Absolutely. You have to live on the water to understand the peace of it. I was not blessed with social graces. I have no musical talent. Can't sing or play an instrument. Can't dance. My way of bringing joy to others is taking them fishing or hunting. There is a deep satisfaction to taking people out on the lake. I take happy people to do happy thing. I help them create life long memories. This big nosed old broke bastard is in thousands of other people's family vacation photos. Not only will they remember that great day on the lake or that first fish they caught, they will remember it was me that provided that for them. Not only will they remember me but they will remember me fondly.

I get it. Just being on a lake in my kayak is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable things for me. If I'm stressed out all I have to do is think about getting out in my kayak and I feel better.

I think her take on it is partially true. But it's much more than that. I know you won't like my take on it (because it brings in spirituality) but it boils down to people trying to find happiness and fulfillment in things that can never truly satisfy. It's like trying to run on the wrong type of fuel. It just doesn't work.

This quote by C.S Lewis sums it up, iyam:

“Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.”​
— C.S. Lewis​

But I don't want to take this thread off topic or debate this right now, so I'll leave it at that.

Carry on! :)
I don't think we necessarily disagree we just come to a similar conclusion from different paths.

I get it. Just being on a lake in my kayak is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable things for me. If I'm stressed out all I have to do is think about getting out in my kayak and I feel better.
Here's to many days on the water for the both of us this year! My season starts Sunday.

america is a godforsaken rat race. Get up go to work. Race off to work. Work until utter exhaustion, race home, throw down some processed food. Do it again, and again, and again, and again. And then tell us how great it is. And we wonder why people are a mess? Wonder why people need booze and drugs?

Exactly which is why people stress out over how many "likes" they get on some stupid social media platform and those likes dive them such a dopamine rush that they constantly seek them out which eventually just becomes like an addiction.
I am very concerned with the mental state of the younger generation. They seem to be slaves to their phones and social media life. That is so unhealthy on several different levels. I also know adults that live for "likes" on their facebook pages, mostly women. That's not healthy either.

Food for thought.

Very informative video, and explains many of the behaviors we see in school. We started seeing big changes in behavior with the advent of the smartphones.

Just reinforces for me that it's good for kids to struggle sometimes, to do hard things (that can be conquered eventually) and to have delayed gratification (with support). Giving them everything they want when they want it is a lot of the reason we're in the bind we are right now.

america is a godforsaken rat race. Get up go to work. Race off to work. Work until utter exhaustion, race home, throw down some processed food. Do it again, and again, and again, and again. And then tell us how great it is. And we wonder why people are a mess? Wonder why people need booze and drugs?

Yeah, and my ancestors cut a path through these woods, made their own homes, and hunted on the land. Was that easy?

Has life EVER been easy except for a privileged few?

Forum List

Back