Our pleasure seeking lifestyle is actually causing stress and mental illness.

The primary concern is that there is someone, somewhere, having a better time. Their sex is better, their drugs are better. They are happy. And it makes people depressed.

There's also the very valid argument that a lot of this comes from the paleocortex (AKA "lizard brain").

We live in a time where virtually all threats to life that cause immediate fight/flight/freeze reaction to danger have been eliminated.....The paleocortex, needing to keep itself busy, then becomes a prime mover in "discovering" (i.e. creating) all manner of neuroses, phobias, and anxieties.

I went through a bloody divorce recently. Big hit on the bank account. I am living skinny right now and work a lot. Spend most my time and money getting a new business off the ground. All my friends are still wealthy. My best friend spends money like water. He commented the other night on my current life style and my unwilling to let him supplement it. Just doesn't understand how I do it. The fun is in building the business for me. I am as happy as I have ever been. I just stay in my own lane and focus on my own goals. I just don't worry about the shit around me. I have my charter business launched. Now I will use that money flow to build a camp ground. My son graduates college this spring( business major). There is a business for him to run. My daughter will graduate in two years. Same major, if all go as planned campground will be obtained with in year or two of her graduation. There is a business for her to run. Then I will go south learn deep sea fishing start a charter business down there. Then I will relax till I get bored. Then time for new goals.

The primary concern is that there is someone, somewhere, having a better time. Their sex is better, their drugs are better. They are happy. And it makes people depressed.
No you are 100% incorrect.

It's the effect of a pleasure seeking lifestyle on the one seeking constant pleasure.

I guess the video was over your head.

There's also the very valid argument that a lot of this comes from the paleocortex (AKA "lizard brain").

We live in a time where virtually all threats to life that cause immediate fight/flight/freeze reaction to danger have been eliminated.....The paleocortex, needing to keep itself busy, then becomes a prime mover in "discovering" (i.e. creating) all manner of neuroses, phobias, and anxieties.
Exactly which is why people stress out over how many "likes" they get on some stupid social media platform and those likes dive them such a dopamine rush that they constantly seek them out which eventually just becomes like an addiction.

I went through a bloody divorce recently. Big hit on the bank account. I am living skinny right now and work a lot. Spend most my time and money getting a new business off the ground. All my friends are still wealthy. My best friend spends money like water. He commented the other night on my current life style and my unwilling to let him supplement it. Just doesn't understand how I do it. The fun is in building the business for me. I am as happy as I have ever been. I just stay in my own lane and focus on my own goals. I just don't worry about the shit around me. I have my charter business launched. Now I will use that money flow to build a camp ground. My son graduates college this spring( business major). There is a business for him to run. My daughter will graduate in two years. Same major, if all go as planned campground will be obtained with in year or two of her graduation. There is a business for her to run. Then I will go south learn deep sea fishing start a charter business down there. Then I will relax till I get bored. Then time for new goals.
Exactly.

The real satisfaction comes from the delaying of gratification

Exactly.

The real satisfaction comes from the delaying of gratification
Lol, not sure I am delaying satisfaction. Lol, I get paid to go fishing. If I could figure out how to get paid to golf. I would be laughing at the world and hard. You have to see the humor in getting paid to play right? Big fuck you to my parents and ex wife!

Lol, not sure I am delaying satisfaction. Lol, I get paid to go fishing. If I could figure out how to get paid to golf. I would be laughing at the world and hard. You have to see the humor in getting paid to play right? Big fuck you to my parents and ex wife!
And do you find those little pleasures give you not only a deeper but longer lasting sense of enjoyment. I know they do for me.

it's only an 8 minute video

The wealthiest most prosperous countries in the world have the highest rates of suicide, depression, anxiety and perceptions of physical pain.

Food for thought.

I think for women it has to do with the last wave or last two waves of feminism being about doing anything a man can do, and while it might for work some women, it was held as an ideal for ALL women, and what we are seeing now is the end result. Single childless women seem to have more mental issues than other groups, and we can wonder why, but I see the above as the main cause.

I think for women it has to do with the last wave or last two waves of feminism being about doing anything a man can do, and while it might for work some women, it was held as an ideal for ALL women, and what we are seeing now is the end result. Single childless women seem to have more mental issues than other groups, and we can wonder why, but I see the above as the main cause.
I'm not too sure that a woman deciding not to have a child is the cause the dopamine overload the video is talking about.

The dopamine thing is a symptom of a societal cause.

It's a correlation for sire but saying that in women the cause is choosing to be childless. I'm not 100% sold on that even though there may be some indications that childless women may be more prone to increased mental health issues that could also be because women who choose to be childless are still looked down upon by most people.

That's the breaking of the 10th commandment....? I think???

Exodus 20:17: “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.”

That's the breaking of the 10th commandment....? I think???

Exodus 20:17: “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.”
This is actually science not religion

It's a correlation for sire but saying that in women the cause is choosing to be childless. I'm not 100% sold on that even though there may be some indications that childless women may be more prone to increased mental health issues that could also be because women who choose to be childless are still looked down upon by most people.

Maybe, but maybe that derision is based on reality, that people being single, especially women, as they age, is detrimental to society and people's overall health.

I disagree with that.

Just wait until old people run out of young people to produce things for them and take care of them.

Our technology can barricade us from basic human nature, needs and rules, but not all of them.

Just wait until old people run out of young people to produce things for them and take care of them.

Our technology can barricade us from basic human nature, needs and rules, but not all of them.

You don't take into account that people with no children keep a much larger portion of their incomes to save and invest so they can take care of themselves in their old age.

If my wife and I had kids there would have been no way I could have retired at age 51.

As far as making stuff goes, most of the stuff our society produces is just consumerist garbage that no one really needs anyway.

You don't take into account that people with no children keep a much larger portion of their incomes to save and invest so they can take care of themselves in their old age.

If my wife and I had kids there would have been no way I could have retired at age 51.

As far as making stuff goes, most of the stuff our society produces is just consumerist garbage that no one really needs anyway.

The many old folks homes I pass by with sullen single people sitting their begs to differ.

Forum List

Back