Our Never-Ending "Soccer" Embarrassment

It's kind of like the Metric System. People keep trying to foist in on Americans by lamenting, "Aw, but everyone else likes it!" These people keep forgetting that approach doesn't work well with most Americans.

Small point: Soccer (football) is NOT a "great game."

No game that prohibits the use of the players' hands can possibly be a great game. Soccer focuses on the limbs and appendages that are LEAST capable of doing great things (because they must also transport the players during play).

A reasonably-athletic ten-year old can THROW a ball much more accurately than the best soccer player in the world can kick it.

For this reason alone, it is a stupid game.

THIS is a perfect example of how anti-soccer propaganda in the sports media works upon the typical American dumb ass. He's just parroting idiots like Jim Rome. Soccer is a game of great skill, fitness and strategy. Most the out of shape gimps who criticize soccer should go try playing a serious pick-up game of soccer sometime. Then they'll find a real respect for the game when their gasping on fumes.

The media has tried to hype soccer and it hasn't caught on. It is not the medias fault. They had full World Cup coverage and the US gave a collective yawn.

It's just not our sport

Sports are generational. At one time, baseball was the biggest sport in America. In the 80's and 90's, basketball was king. Now, football has taken over.

Will hockey and soccer ever be king? Not any time soon. But, they're both capable of making serious in roads. More and more kids are playing youth soccer. And they have US Soccer, EPL and MLS, NWSL on TV while they do so. These things were not so even a generation ago.

I follow NBA and NFL. But we take it for granted that they'll always be top of the heap. They won't. There will always be shifts. The question is not if, but how long.

THIS is a perfect example of how anti-soccer propaganda in the sports media works upon the typical American dumb ass. He's just parroting idiots like Jim Rome. Soccer is a game of great skill, fitness and strategy. Most the out of shape gimps who criticize soccer should go try playing a serious pick-up game of soccer sometime. Then they'll find a real respect for the game when their gasping on fumes.

The media has tried to hype soccer and it hasn't caught on. It is not the medias fault. They had full World Cup coverage and the US gave a collective yawn.

It's just not our sport

Sports are generational. At one time, baseball was the biggest sport in America. In the 80's and 90's, basketball was king. Now, football has taken over.

Will hockey and soccer ever be king? Not any time soon. But, they're both capable of making serious in roads. More and more kids are playing youth soccer. And they have US Soccer, EPL and MLS, NWSL on TV while they do so. These things were not so even a generation ago.

I follow NBA and NFL. But we take it for granted that they'll always be top of the heap. They won't. There will always be shifts. The question is not if, but how long.

I heard the same arguments in the 70s. North American Soccer League, Pele was going to transform the sports. Millions of kids were in soccer leagues and would be lifelong fans.

It never happened

I heard the same thing when the US Women's Soccer team won the World Cup. Millions of little girls were soccer fans. Women's soccer was going to take off

It never happened

It's just not our sport

I heard the same arguments in the 70s. North American Soccer League, Pele was going to transform the sports. Millions of kids were in soccer leagues and would be lifelong fans.

It never happened

I heard the same thing when the US Women's Soccer team won the World Cup. Millions of little girls were soccer fans. Women's soccer was going to take off

It never happened

Throwing women's soccer into the equation is like me bringing up WNBA or the lingirie bowl. It just doesn't belong.

And perhaps the arguments you heard in the 70s rang true. The US made the world cup by 90 and hosted it by 94. It's been growing ever since.

Throwing women's soccer into the equation is like me bringing up WNBA or the lingirie bowl. It just doesn't belong..

Just the opposite. Women's soccer is the only place your little dream has a chance. American women are great at soccer. And why not? It's a sport most suited for women and children.

Throwing women's soccer into the equation is like me bringing up WNBA or the lingirie bowl. It just doesn't belong..

Just the opposite. Women's soccer is the only place your little dream has a chance. American women are great at soccer. And why not? It's a sport most suited for women and children.

I don't have any disrespect for women's soccer; well no more disrespect than any other women's sport; but it's not the best of the best. I watch sports to watch the best players. Watching women's soccer is akin to watching any other amateur event. Even if it takes off, it won't be a fulfillment of any 'little dream' I have.

And your logic is whack anyways. The women's side has 'accomplished' way more than the men's side and is nowhere near as popular; pretty much because people are generally of the same mindset as myself. So, I'll thank you not to throw out your illogical points.

It's kind of like the Metric System. People keep trying to foist in on Americans by lamenting, "Aw, but everyone else likes it!" These people keep forgetting that approach doesn't work well with most Americans.

Except the metric system actually makes sense.......:eusa_shhh:

All of the sports are elemental. Soccer arguably takes the most skill and fitness. So, I don't think you have any sort of 'sense' argument.

The women's side has 'accomplished' way more than the men's side and is nowhere near as popular

This should give you a clue about the fortunes of men's soccer as well.

I'm sure you made some sort of illogical leap in your head to come up to this flawed conclusion; but I'm not going to bother guessing.

Soccer arguably takes the most skill and fitness.

:lmao:

You are utterly foolish. I play pick-up basketball games all the time and am relatively fine fitness wise. The last time, I played a pick-up game of soccer on a full field, it was way more of a challenge. The two aren't even comparable. Hence, why you never see fat soccer players.

Except the metric system actually makes sense.......:eusa_shhh:

All of the sports are elemental. Soccer arguably takes the most skill and fitness. So, I don't think you have any sort of 'sense' argument.

The women's side has 'accomplished' way more than the men's side and is nowhere near as popular

This should give you a clue about the fortunes of men's soccer as well.

I'm sure you made some sort of illogical leap in your head to come up to this flawed conclusion; but I'm not going to bother guessing.

Sheesh! Just laugh at my funny. :tongue:

Soccer arguably takes the most skill and fitness.

:lmao:

You are utterly foolish. I play pick-up basketball games all the time and am relatively fine fitness wise. The last time, I played a pick-up game of soccer on a full field, it was way more of a challenge. The two aren't even comparable. Hence, why you never see fat soccer players.

I'm not a fan of basketball, but I don't recall there being a lot of fat NBA players....

Now, if you want to talk about baseball, some of the pitchers have been fairly chunky. And of course, NFL lineman are pretty damn large. ;)

I think, however, you may be mistaking endurance as the only form of fitness and skill.

Forum List

Back